News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

Quote from: bacardiandlime on April 29, 2020, 12:41:20 AM
There's apparently a gender divide going on too - women's submissions to academic journals in several fields have dropped off.

https://www.thelily.com/women-academics-seem-to-be-submitting-fewer-papers-during-coronavirus-never-seen-anything-like-it-says-one-editor/

They are probably doing most of the childcare/homeschooling -- Daddy has to attend his important Zoom meetings.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

bacardiandlime

Well, quite. It's probably been observed on these boards before, that there is a phenomenon of academic men taking their "paternity" leave as a bonus research leave.

science.expat

Yep. Plus they're more likely to go above and beyond in their transition to online learning and in providing pastoral care to their students.

bacardiandlime

Quote from: science.expat on April 30, 2020, 03:53:06 AM
Plus they're more likely to go above and beyond in their transition to online learning

This x100. I'm seeing female colleagues recrafting entire syllabi - male colleagues just saying "whatever".

waterboy

To be honest, I didn't rejigger my syllabus much because of the uncertainty of where we're going. I'm waiting until we decide what the fall looks like before I make any needed changes to how my courses will go.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

secundem_artem

Quote from: bacardiandlime on April 30, 2020, 03:57:02 AM
Quote from: science.expat on April 30, 2020, 03:53:06 AM
Plus they're more likely to go above and beyond in their transition to online learning

This x100. I'm seeing female colleagues recrafting entire syllabi - male colleagues just saying "whatever".

Great if you can/want to.  In my college, making major changes like that requires review at multiple levels.  Given the 1 week we had to get everything online, the fact that something actually IS online is a win.  If we are still online come fall, I have the summer to make such changes as are necessary and gain approvals. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: secundem_artem on April 30, 2020, 10:21:15 AM
In my college, making major changes like that requires review at multiple levels.

Here, too. The admin very nearly forgot, however, and it took some convincing to get them to implement mass-approval of emergency changes, rather than going through each course one by one, dragging the instructor before the Senate, etc.
I know it's a genus.

science.expat

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 30, 2020, 10:30:39 AM
In my college, making major changes like that requires review at multiple levels.

Here, too. The admin very nearly forgot, however, and it took some convincing to get them to implement mass-approval of emergency changes, rather than going through each course one by one, dragging the instructor before the Senate, etc.

Wow! Here they put in a rapid local level approval process.

bacardiandlime

Apparently Ohio University laying off faculty due to the virus....

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: science.expat on April 30, 2020, 11:16:57 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 30, 2020, 10:30:39 AM

Wow! Here they put in a rapid local level approval process.

I've certainly never claimed that we were a model of smooth-functioning! =p
I know it's a genus.

clean

minor prediction...
yesterday was May Day.  I saw on the news that China had relaxed flight restrictions and that flight booking for the May Day Weekend spiked.  (Sounds like the January issues a bit, doesnt it?)  So to the extent that you can believe numbers from China watch to see who they blame or IF they announce any CV19 spikes in 2 weeks or so. 

If none are announced does that mean that there are none?
If some are announced, will anyone here listen and slow the reopening frenzy? 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Ruralguy

Caracal

Quote from: clean on May 02, 2020, 09:48:53 AM
minor prediction...
yesterday was May Day.  I saw on the news that China had relaxed flight restrictions and that flight booking for the May Day Weekend spiked.  (Sounds like the January issues a bit, doesnt it?)  So to the extent that you can believe numbers from China watch to see who they blame or IF they announce any CV19 spikes in 2 weeks or so. 

If none are announced does that mean that there are none?
If some are announced, will anyone here listen and slow the reopening frenzy?

Well they've been ramping up air travel all month and there hasn't been a huge resurgence in cases. I can't really see how the situation in China is remotely comparable to the US. The number of new cases is way, way down. I find it weird when people say you can't trust the numbers in China. Our numbers aren't accurate either. It is pretty clear that there's very little transmission there.

Of course they are relaxing restrictions. If the US was averaging under 20 confirmed cases a day, most imported, we'd be relaxing restrictions too.

Cheerful

Masks are mandated in my state.  Yet lots of people aren't wearing masks while walking in areas with constant or frequent foot traffic.  Arrogant and rude.

bacardiandlime

Quote from: Cheerful on May 02, 2020, 11:10:36 AM
Masks are mandated in my state.  Yet lots of people aren't wearing masks while walking in areas with constant or frequent foot traffic.  Arrogant and rude.

I'm curious about the mask mandates. Are there specified mask vendors? What is one supposed to do if there are none available? Is a bandana considered sufficient?