News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hegemony

Looks like the "corona parties" story may not be fake after all.

"While my nursing staff was triaging patients for COVID-19 swabbing, they were told about the COVID-19 house parties and were even shown videos of the parties by college students," Peramsetty said.

"When students are called for results, we noticed that some were very excited and happy that they were positive, while others were very upset that they were negative."

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/20200702/cases-rise-in-youth-amid-reports-of-rsquocovid-partiesrsquo

Caracal

Quote from: Hegemony on July 02, 2020, 04:11:44 PM
Looks like the "corona parties" story may not be fake after all.

"While my nursing staff was triaging patients for COVID-19 swabbing, they were told about the COVID-19 house parties and were even shown videos of the parties by college students," Peramsetty said.

"When students are called for results, we noticed that some were very excited and happy that they were positive, while others were very upset that they were negative."

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/20200702/cases-rise-in-youth-amid-reports-of-rsquocovid-partiesrsquo

This is not compelling evidence of anything but the fact that there are widespread rumors going around about this. Are these people mind readers? It actually potentially makes sense that a positive test wouldn't be bad news. Often, younger people get over it pretty quickly. If you were sick for a few days, got a test, and now are feeling much better, it makes sense that you'd actually sooner it turn out you did it have it. Now you likely have antibodies.

Anselm

Snippet from an email I got today:

Additionally, we will be providing cleaning supplies to each classroom to have you sanitize areas such as desks, chairs and door handles after each class.

Is anyone else being asked to do this?   Doesn't this also put me at a greater risk of infection?
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

clean

QuoteLooks like the "corona parties" story may not be fake after all.

This is not compelling evidence of anything but the fact that there are widespread rumors going around about this.

The story made today's National News as well.  Doesnt mean it is true mind you... especially in the era of "fake news".

However, I would not be surprised that it is in fact true.
(Students selling tickets at a party, and the first to be diagnosed with COVID after the party wins the money).  Yep. I can absolutely see this going on at The University of Alabama (Roll Tide!!) 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Cheerful

Quote from: Anselm on July 02, 2020, 04:47:36 PM

Additionally, we will be providing cleaning supplies to each classroom to have you sanitize areas such as desks, chairs and door handles after each class.

Is anyone else being asked to do this?   Doesn't this also put me at a greater risk of infection?

Hilarious.  Will you be paid extra for doing custodial services?  My university's cleaning "plans" are preposterous.

Caracal

Quote from: clean on July 02, 2020, 04:54:31 PM
QuoteLooks like the "corona parties" story may not be fake after all.

This is not compelling evidence of anything but the fact that there are widespread rumors going around about this.

The story made today's National News as well.  Doesnt mean it is true mind you... especially in the era of "fake news".

However, I would not be surprised that it is in fact true.
(Students selling tickets at a party, and the first to be diagnosed with COVID after the party wins the money).  Yep. I can absolutely see this going on at The University of Alabama (Roll Tide!!)

I can just about promise you that it is complete BS.

clean

QuoteI can just about promise you that it is complete BS.

Let's hope so!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

rac

Quote from: Anselm on July 02, 2020, 04:47:36 PM

Faculty and students are asked to do this at the beginning and end of each class. No guidance on how to enforce this.

Vkw10

Summer II starts Monday. At 3:00 p.m. Thursday, University announced all classes will be online, except the handful of labs/clinicals that must be in person to meet licensure degree requirements.

Given the COVID-19 workplace modification requests coming in, our county's status as a hotspot, and our governor finally ordering face masks and partial re-closing, I'm not surprised. But today was chaos squared.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

AmLitHist

One of my very good local summer students emailed me overnight, saying she's been sick for a week but her parents finally made her go to urgent care yesterday evening after her long bout of high fever wouldn't break.  She's waiting on results of her COVID test now. 

(She sent me the receipt, but I'd have believed her without it. She even turned in everything by 11:30 last night--after saying that she's "hoped" it's "just" been strep throat all week. Poor kid--she's really young and still lives at home while she's doing her gen ed classes at my CC. Her parents have both been laid off all spring, and she's been working extra shifts since April trying to help out.)

I hope she's OK.  As I told her, I'll work with her on an incomplete grade or whatever; I want her to take care of herself and not worry about my class.

Treehugger

I just read that The US government is giving Novavax 1.6 billion $ to mass produce an as-of-now not fully tested COVID-19 vaccine. Should we cheer or not so much? I am a little concerned that this massive investment before clinical trials are over could somehow motivate a skewed interpretation of the results of the trials or even somehow skew the trials themselves. I would like to believe that medicine is 100% apolitical objective science, but I already know that is not always the case. And I think it would be a disaster if an ineffective or unsafe vaccine were pushed through for political reasons. We already have enough anti-Vaxxers in this country!

What do you think?

downer

I don't plan on taking a vaccine until it has been well tested for about 5 years.

There's so much pressure to rush out products that the profit motive will make any purported vaccine highly suspicious. Especially in the US.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Treehugger

Quote from: downer on July 07, 2020, 04:28:57 AM
I don't plan on taking a vaccine until it has been well tested for about 5 years.

There's so much pressure to rush out products that the profit motive will make any purported vaccine highly suspicious. Especially in the US.

Yes, this is exactly what concerns me.

Vkw10

Quote from: downer on July 07, 2020, 04:28:57 AM

Thalidomide, anyone? The clinical testing cycle is long for a reason. I'm slowly adjusting to living with a pandemic for several years.

I recently talked with a friend about vaccine development. Both of us received routine vaccines for measles as children, but neither received a chicken pox vaccine because there wasn't one until we were adults. We two non-scientists concluded that vaccine development might take a decade, so we'd better start building habits for living with a pandemic.

Today's tasks include rearranging foyer to accommodate clean face masks, hand sanitizer, and drop point for used face masks. It's easier to adopt habits like donning/doffing shoes and masks at the door if you make it convenient.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)