News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Spam! Starting Mandatory “First Post” Approval

Started by eigen, May 31, 2019, 09:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eigen

So with our first spammer registration today, we're moving to a new system: all users are probationary until their first post, and the first post must be approved by a moderator.

The forum software doesn't update until you post, so some of you may get caught in this! We will diligently try to approve posts and get you out of probation as fast as possible.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

aside

Thanks for your work on this!

A humble suggestion for your thread title:

SPAM:  Starting Post Approval Mandatory

much_metta

Thanks for the notice and all the efforts to keep SPAM away!

spork

Thank you for this. I was going to ask if the software allowed the prohibition of accounts made from certain ISPs or regional domains, but this method will probably work better.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

eigen

Quote from: spork on May 31, 2019, 12:37:29 PM
Thank you for this. I was going to ask if the software allowed the prohibition of accounts made from certain ISPs or regional domains, but this method will probably work better.

It does! I haven't quite figured it out, though.
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

downer

I'm glad I didn't have to pass a spam test.

I already feel like one of the elders of Fora 2.0!
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Scotia

Quote from: eigen on May 31, 2019, 12:56:45 PM
Quote from: spork on May 31, 2019, 12:37:29 PM

It does! I haven't quite figured it out, though.

I think the approach you are adopting is a more robust approach. Some spammers manage to hijack legitimate systems - I was locked out of some places for a while after a former employer's system was hacked and used for a big spam campaign (one of those idiots who responded to an email claiming they needed to renew their password and "please click and your old password here to update" meant the whole university was blacklisted for a while).

I am a recently redundant moderator from the CHE Forum. I was useful for deleting spam before the US woke up, and many hours of my time would have been saved had a pre-approval system been in operation. It used to amaze me that I would get locked out for too much activity while deleting offers of fake degrees from every university in Australia, Canada, France, Germany while while the spammers were able to continue posts with about fake degrees from  Netherland, Singapore, United Kingdom (I hadn't realised how many universities there are here!) and even the US (for some reason Taiwan comes after the US in the spammer alphabet).

mamselle

You're one of the ones to say "thank-you" to, then, too!

(Maybe the US was listed as "States, United" ???)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

InfoPri

Okay, so here's my first post.  Am I approved?  (Nice to see some familiar folks here!)

ETA:  Apparently, no approval was necessary--perhaps the new mandatory-approval-of-first-post system isn't in place yet.  Will we who are here now be vetted once the system is up and running?

bioteacher

I'm here!
I finished dragging in the supplies for the hiding thread. Shields are functioning, the refreshment table is loaded, the pillows have been fluffed, and the cuddly animals are all ready.
I'll be napping in the corner. Wake me if something interesting happens?

polly_mer

Quote from: bioteacher on June 08, 2019, 08:37:50 PM
I'm here!
I finished dragging in the supplies for the hiding thread. Shields are functioning, the refreshment table is loaded, the pillows have been fluffed, and the cuddly animals are all ready.

I look forward to a restart of the hiding thread.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Quote from: polly_mer on June 08, 2019, 08:56:14 PM
Quote from: bioteacher on June 08, 2019, 08:37:50 PM
I'm here!

I look forward to a restart of the hiding thread.

Me, three.

A puppy to play with would be nice right about now...and fall asleep with.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ProfAcct

Where would you like a primary post for approval?

Also, is there a place where doctoral students are hanging out?  I need to find some for a paper I'm writing; preferably drop-outs or re-starts.

Prof Accounting

eigen

Quote from: ProfAcct on June 17, 2019, 09:21:04 AM

Also, is there a place where doctoral students are hanging out?  I need to find some for a paper I'm writing; preferably drop-outs or re-starts.

Prof Accounting

I'd try starting a thread under the General Academic Discussions forum.

mamselle

Quote from: eigen on June 17, 2019, 05:03:36 PM
Quote from: ProfAcct on June 17, 2019, 09:21:04 AM

Prof Accounting

I'd try starting a thread under the General Academic Discussions forum.

This individual is soliciting study participants for their research (they've just come over from starting a thread on the CHE fora.) They were reminded of the rules there, which I believe are the same here, yes?

M.