News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

After a critter-less cold snap, we once again have jays and sparrows (and squirrels).

CatTV is really popular these days.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: apl68 on December 28, 2022, 06:26:06 AM
Recently we've had a little flock of about a dozen something-or-others flying around the neighborhood.  Between my poor eyesight and my limited bird-spotting know-how, I can't tell you what they are.  Whatever they are, they're close-knit.  I see them flying around or perched on phone lines as a unit.  Yesterday afternoon I saw them making rounds of the street in formation.  It's amazing how they can turn, dip, rise, and all go to ground in unison.  They did have a bit of trouble when they swooped down around the branches of a tree at one point.  Then they got away from that entanglement and promptly re-established the formation.

Might be Cedar Waxwings if you're lucky, or Starlings if you're not.  Do they call?  A single high-pitched note is one way to recognize the Waxwings.

apl68

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on December 28, 2022, 09:43:24 AM
Quote from: apl68 on December 28, 2022, 06:26:06 AM
Recently we've had a little flock of about a dozen something-or-others flying around the neighborhood.  Between my poor eyesight and my limited bird-spotting know-how, I can't tell you what they are.  Whatever they are, they're close-knit.  I see them flying around or perched on phone lines as a unit.  Yesterday afternoon I saw them making rounds of the street in formation.  It's amazing how they can turn, dip, rise, and all go to ground in unison.  They did have a bit of trouble when they swooped down around the branches of a tree at one point.  Then they got away from that entanglement and promptly re-established the formation.

Might be Cedar Waxwings if you're lucky, or Starlings if you're not.  Do they call?  A single high-pitched note is one way to recognize the Waxwings.

I haven't heard them call so far.  They're bigger than starlings, and their flock is nowhere near as big as starling flocks normally are.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

AmLitHist

Once it warmed up (i.e., above single digits during the days), I've had several kinds of finches and sparrows, a nuthatch, titmice, and a hairy woodpecker at the feeders outside my home office window.  And grackles, always the grackles.  It's OK--they need to eat, too.

Harlow2

Because we have skunks and other critters that like to eat bird seed our condo will allow only thistle (and that is after I begged and let them know squirrels won't go near it). We also don't have many trees, so I get only Carolina wrens, house and purple finches, and mostly juncos. We do have the odd hawk though.

Langue_doc

On one of my favorite walks in a vast park-like area, I saw a peregrine falcon swoop down by the water's edge, then get into the water to take a bath, hop out to dry its wings, throw its head back and open its mouth wide, and then get back into the water for another bath. This bathing, drying out, throwing the head back and opening the mouth was repeated three times. I must have ventured a bit too close for comfort, so the falcon took off and perched on a tree branch where it stayed for quite some time. This was my New Year's Day treat!

apl68

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 04, 2023, 05:37:39 PM
On one of my favorite walks in a vast park-like area, I saw a peregrine falcon swoop down by the water's edge, then get into the water to take a bath, hop out to dry its wings, throw its head back and open its mouth wide, and then get back into the water for another bath. This bathing, drying out, throwing the head back and opening the mouth was repeated three times. I must have ventured a bit too close for comfort, so the falcon took off and perched on a tree branch where it stayed for quite some time. This was my New Year's Day treat!

Sounds like a wonderful way to begin the year!

apl68

We sometimes see and hear raptors flying over our town.  We also sometimes have skies crisscrossed with condensation trails from military jet aircraft practicing maneuvers.  I've always supposed that this was because our local timber products mill--a large industrial complex located far from any large population centers or major airline flight lanes--made a handy place to practice simulated attacks and defenses.

Anyway, this afternoon while walking back from lunch, I observed both.

Screeching bird of prey
Above my head, yet below
The dueling aircraft

the_geneticist

We have a black Phoebe that likes to hang out near the compost pile and catch flying insects.  I love their little crest that they can pop up and the "tee hee! tee hee!" call.  Drives our cats bonkers.

Langue_doc

A pair of red-tailed hawks were circling above buildings on a very busy street for quite some time, probably taking advantage of the wind currents. I was on an architectural tour, so was half listening to the information about the historic buildings on that street because watching the hawks having fun was far more interesting, given the location. The buildings were quite interesting too, as they were formerly mansions which now have been subdivided into four to six apartments.

Langue_doc

More bird sightings in the vast park-like expanse--last Sunday was relatively quiet, other than a few tufted titmice, white-breasted nuthatches, the usual blue jays, a couple of northern mockingbirds, a few black-capped chickadees, and a couple of red-tailed hawks flying overhead. On the small island in the middle of the man-made lake, skulking among the tall dried grasses was a great blue heron, standing still for the longest time. I saw him in the same spot as I was going up several paths, and also when I was coming down on yet another path. He was also there, in the same spot yesterday morning and also today.

Yesterday was a very active birdy morning, as I could hear all kinds of chirps and cheeps as soon as I opened the car door. The first was a red-bellied woodpecker, looking for food just above my head. In addition to the heron above, and the usual birds, I came upon what looked like a juvenile red-tailed hawk sitting on a branch by the feeder that had birds flying in and out of it. The hawk kept swiveling its head in every which way whenever a bird alighted on the feeder, took off, or was just flying past it, reminiscent of a baby moving its head to look at objects above its crib. The hawk then flew down and got its talons tangled in a twig which he managed to shake off. He then took off, with his foot tangled in yet another twig. Later in the walk, I heard a couple of crows cawing loudly--they were chasing a red-tailed hawk away from what might have been their nest. Today, in addition to the heron and the assorted birds, I saw a peregrine falcon land on one of the topmost branches of a pine tree, then hop up the branches to the very top from where he surveyed his domain. After sitting there for more than a couple of minutes, he took off and landed on a branch of another tree. There were also the usual woodpeckers on the tree trunks and birds of prey flying overhead.

apl68

I didn't spot any of our local herons on my morning walk, but I did hear one croaking at one point.

Thursday's_Child

Last weekend was prime time for bluebird territorial fights and investigation of potential housing.  I think the titmice may have started nesting, too.

Also, there was a brief but excellent visit to my fave underwater camera by a double-crested cormorant this morning.  Scroll back to 8.32.20 for the fish reactions to the predator - bird shows up 8.32.30.  Find the correct time using the clock in the lower left corner.  Navigation is a bit different b/c this ISN"T a video - it's a live stream, so the previous 12 hours are usually available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i8ARjIeM2k

apl68

Saw what appeared to be five herons flying over the city park on my morning walk.  I've never seen more than two or three at one time before.  I also heard geese passing through last night.

Harlow2

Purple finches at the feeder, woodpeckers hammering away, redwing black birds singing, and lots of other birds.  Despite the cold today the woods were loud, even at 2 in the afternoon.