News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

Electra was vigorously meowing at me (she never does this) while I was doing laundry, until I stopped and asked her what she wanted.  She led me over to the basement corner to show me the dead mouse she had killed (I presume).  She was so proud (or whatever the cat equivalent is) of herself.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

clean

You are fortunate that your kitty is providing support for the poor human underlings!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

the_geneticist

Quote from: FishProf on November 09, 2021, 12:53:23 PM
Electra was vigorously meowing at me (she never does this) while I was doing laundry, until I stopped and asked her what she wanted.  She led me over to the basement corner to show me the dead mouse she had killed (I presume).  She was so proud (or whatever the cat equivalent is) of herself.

What a clever kitty!

Puget

Quote from: FishProf on November 09, 2021, 12:53:23 PM

A cat wants to be acknowledged for a job well done.

When I was a kid we had an indoor/outdoor cat who was a mighty hunter-- she always wanted to bring us her kills, and seemed truly perplexed that we did not want them. When she caught things at night, she would leave them as gifts outside our bedroom doors, certain we would want them for breakfast. I think our failure to either learn to hunt for ourselves or at least appreciate her meals must have been a source of disappointment, but she was very tolerant of our failures.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

She was probably wishing for at least a rabbit head in return...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

Quote from: mamselle on November 09, 2021, 06:34:22 PM
She was probably wishing for at least a rabbit head in return...

M.

Oh, she was more than capable of supplying her own rabbits, sometimes nearly as big as she was.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Larimar

Congratulations to Electra the mighty huntress!

Morden

A neighbour's cat once left us a mouse beside our back door; I think it was in appreciation of the soft cushions on deck chairs.

FishProf

Note - IF Elektra killed the mouse, she didn't know what to do with it afterward.  No interest in eating it.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

OneMoreYear

Ours don't have interest in eating the mice they catch either, though Ricochet eats bugs (our basement is unfinished so I'm more than happy to have her hunt small prey down there). Ricochet does apparently associate mice with "food" as she has deposited her kills next to the food bowls.

Congrats to Electra!

onehappyunicorn

Many years ago one of our cats was a hunting machine. He would catch mice and eat the top half of them leaving their haunches all of the yard...

Harlow2

When we first moved to a house with mice, Previous Cat watched them as the strolled past her in the living room.  A couple or more months  passed before something clicked and she began to think of mice as prey rather than fellow residents. I was relieved when I finally didn't have to set traps.  But then, body parts. 

OneMoreYear

I did some bedding laundry and threw it on the bed to make it later. Ricochet has decided the pile of blankets makes a good, safe nest and has decided to live there for the foreseeable future. Guess I'm not making the bed!

the_geneticist

We didn't put away the new bag of cat food fast enough and Lady Jane tore a hole through the bag and helped herself.
She looked quite pleased.

Harlow2

Ulysses is right now engrossed in an episode of Nature on the Rockies . She was trying to figure out how to get closer to the kangaroo rats and Sanhill cranes on the TV but is equally fascinated by the bighorn sheep and bison. I wish I'd realized earlier that she would respond to this as she is often bored.