News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Thanks for the update, clean. Sounds like you're doing your best with the little kitty. I hope you feel better soon. Being sick sucks big time.

mamselle

Agreed. Mommies give good care even when they're sick, so now you can check that box, too.

And just think...

Your kitty-mom experience will look good on your resume, besides.

Feel better soon.

Does the small, furry one have a Fora-name?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

Not my cat.  NO names!

I dont know if it is a he or a she.   (dont care to know.

I think that it is awake again.

It skipped a feeding last night. I took some night time flu/cold stuff and I woke up only an hour and a half after last feeding, so I didnt get up. Then it was after 6... usually I awaken about 4 am for one reason or another.

It is later now than it was before...
a few hours later!
the monster/warden/creature is awake.  It will sleep for like 5 minutes on my arm.

it is up and moving, screaching/squeeking rooting for something to latch on to.

I have put it 'to bed' twice, but that doesnt seem to work just now. 
I dont know if this is part of the punishment for missing the feeding.... I can no longer be trusted to be around WHEN it demands attention.

On the other hand, IF it can get to sleep, for the most part, it only wakes up when I wake it up to service it.

I definately have an infection. When I cough I am greeted with a screech that says, "I was ALMOST asleep, and NOW i have to start ALL OVER! 

Im thinking tht its "bed' is just not warm enough for now, but it could just be a few days older and more demanding 

BREAKING NEWS!
My COVID test (that I took yesterday on campus) came back POSITIVE. 
I told you I was sick!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

So sorry to hear that you've got Covid. :(

Have you tried soaking a corner of a washcloth with kitten formula to see if it will suck on it?

clean

QuoteHave you tried soaking a corner of a washcloth with kitten formula to see if it will suck on it?

yes
not a fan

clearly it has its own thoughts on these things and it thinks youtube advice is bunk

Morden

QuoteIm thinking tht its "bed' is just not warm enough for now, but it could just be a few days older and more demanding

Full disclosure: I know nothing about kittens, but when we first got our puppy (many, many years ago), it missed the warmth of its siblings & mama. We heated up one of those bean bag things in the microwave (not too hot!) and put it in his bed. He snuggled up and settled down.

I am very sorry to hear you have COVID. Best wishes for recovery.

mamselle

OH, dear, no.

It's definitely harder to be a caregiver to a kitty when you're sick, too.

Second the idea of a warm plush toy or rolled-up blankets close by.

They were all packed together in the womb, they feel lost without other warm bodies/things close by.

Or, you could make a little nest and put it near you to sleep, so it gets your body warmth and hears your heartbeat.

That's another thing i've heard, a ticking clock, wrapped in a thick towel or blanket, can help with sleeping issues.

Get well.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

fleabite

Clean,

I admire your willingness to cater to the needs of the little creature that adopted you. I am sorry that you now have to do so in the face of illness. Because it has not yet been mentioned on this thread, I feel that I should note that kittens and cats can catch COVID-19 from people. If at all possible, I recommend wearing a tightly fitting mask when you are tending to the kitten and scrubbing your hands and arms well before interacting with it. But from what I've read (I'm not a vet or doctor), cats generally don't get very sick from covid. Therefore, your guest's need for human-servant contact probably outweighs the need to protect it from covid by isolating yourself. Feel better soon.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Morden on June 30, 2022, 10:32:14 AM
QuoteIm thinking tht its "bed' is just not warm enough for now, but it could just be a few days older and more demanding

Full disclosure: I know nothing about kittens, but when we first got our puppy (many, many years ago), it missed the warmth of its siblings & mama. We heated up one of those bean bag things in the microwave (not too hot!) and put it in his bed. He snuggled up and settled down.

I am very sorry to hear you have COVID. Best wishes for recovery.

I have also read about people using small stuffed animals, or as mamselle said, something that ticks. Got an old watch?

the_geneticist

Clean,
Maybe one of the rescue agencies could get you in touch with someone who is fostering a nursing cat with kittens.  Most mama cats are open to adding another kitten, especially one that is so young.  I hope you feel better soon.

AmLitHist

Clean, so sorry that you're sick, and that the kitty is a challenge.  Finding a foster would be a great solution.

I don't know where you are, but if anywhere remotely close to a rural area, contacting a large-animal vet that deals with cattle, hogs, or horses could get you a contact to a farmer with a mama cat who could help out!  (The vets wouldn't have treated the mom/kittens, but they do know who has cattle etc., and those need feed, which draws mice and rats, which means barn cats!) Just a suggestion.

Take care, and feel better SOON!

clean

im on the waiting list for a feeder.  Next avaiability is July 14

we had a bath.

Not saying that it is clean,  but it is cleaner

it does not like to have its tail touched. 

but it is clean and dry and now it is trying to sleep... when my coughing allows it to sleep... If my cough wakes it up, I hear the complaint and it moves to try to find another place to sleep.

It would be nicer if it would stay in its bed, but i m positive that I am warmer (with my fever, I m probably just the right temperature!

I really dont want to get it used to sleeping on me.  (it sets up bad habits)!                   

Puget

Quote from: clean on June 30, 2022, 06:58:23 PM
im on the waiting list for a feeder.  Next avaiability is July 14

we had a bath.

Not saying that it is clean,  but it is cleaner

it does not like to have its tail touched. 

but it is clean and dry and now it is trying to sleep... when my coughing allows it to sleep... If my cough wakes it up, I hear the complaint and it moves to try to find another place to sleep.

It would be nicer if it would stay in its bed, but i m positive that I am warmer (with my fever, I m probably just the right temperature!

I really dont want to get it used to sleeping on me.  (it sets up bad habits)!                 

Normal cat body temp is 101-102.5 so you're probably right. Hope you feel better soon!

At some point you're also going to have to give up the idea that this is "Not my cat". You have been adopted. Happens to the best of us. My sadly departed cat of 14 years was "just staying with me for the weekend until the rescue can find a permanent placement". (Current two little beasts were acquired intentionally).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

clean

Quoteou're also going to have to give up the idea that this is "Not my cat". You have been adopted.

Im thinking of the people that have experience with 4H.  Some, especially the youngest, get attached and are unable to get rid of the new pet.

Others are glad that it is over and will gladly add the critter into their own freezer if no one else buys it.  (my nephew's wife, said that she was happy to eat the pig she raised!)

So, I think that I can turn over the responsibility  when the time finally comes. 

The hard part is going to be keeping my bride out of the picture!  She is currently helping her parents in Houston (her dad is starting cancer treatments at MD anderson).

Now that I am positive, I think that I can head her off for at least 5 more days... but that leaves 8 or 9 days when she may be in the susceptability window.

I have alergies, so adopting a cat for this house is not going to be a starter for me!  However, If she falls in love with the kitty, she may have to pick one of us... and no matter what she picks I will lose! 

This is another reason not to let it sleep on my arm/tummy/neck... she will want an arm/neck/tummy warmer too!

2 years ago, I was put in a similar situation.  My dad was off for knee replacement surgery and as they were walking to the car up screamed a very young kitten (did I mention screaming?) 

So I took care of it.  Initially it was to keep it safe outside so that its crying would remind its mama to retrieve it.
She didnt. 
I misjudged the age and I think that i tried to give it real food before its tummy was ready and it died 2 days later. 
This one also slept on my chest (for warmth or domination... not sure).  Anyway, that kitten was older, and didnt make it.  SO Im not really interested in dealing with these issues again.  Very disappointing to know that I was unable to keep that critter alive. 

So no names, and no promises. I will do my best, but I have asked for professionals to take this task and there are no spaces available until July 14.  If it makes it that long, that is great!  A success!  most likely it will live a long (or 9) life/lives. 

clean

A follow up...
The creature/monster just pooped on me! 

Yea, I dont think that I will feel bad about handing it off!

(I am sure that I related in the start of this saga/drama, that the reason that I put the car back into park and got out of the running car was the Fear of Regret!   
I knew that if I left it, that it would likely die within hours, and I expected, given how overheated it was, that it would be dead before i got home.  But IF i left it, I would always wonder, and think that I COULD have saved it and underevaluated the work that it demands!  I certainly would not have imagined that getting pooped on in my ideal, underrated ideal situation.   

Given how hard it has been finding anyone else to take over this charge, letting nature take its course is not sounding so harsh.
To quote Jose Whales, "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms". 

(I am really doing my best NOT to accept the proposed adoption, is the bottom line).