News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

This morning I saw a cat lying dead on a well-traveled street.  It must have been hit only last night.  Poor thing. 

The family of cats that I regularly see hanging around a house on a less-traveled street some blocks away seem to be doing fine.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

OneMoreYear

Ricochet the squirrelly tortie has apparently determined that the large beings she lives with (my SO and I) need more explicit instruction in how to interact with her, and she's now trying a new strategy. She has identified a "safe spot" near where the large beings hang out (a chair in the living room that is now "her" chair.") When she wants attention she rolls on her back to display her tummy and merrrs at us. We are then to pet her briefly on the chair. She then jumps off the chair and flops down on the mat and merrrs. We are then to pet her on the mat.  She then trots down the hall and stops at certain spots for additional petting at that spot. If you do not follow her, she looks back and merrrs. This continues until she hides under a bed, at which point the interaction is over.

Puget

Glad to hear Ricochet is making progress in her training of the servants-- they are so hard to train properly!

I've just returned from a week away. Cats had one of their usual sitters who they love, so they don't seem too out of sorts, though they have let me know that a more full time servant is expected.

My catnip is blooming, so I picked some buds for them tonight. Apparently buds are MUCH better than leaves!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Quote from: OneMoreYear on July 13, 2022, 06:25:45 PM
Ricochet the squirrelly tortie has apparently determined that the large beings she lives with (my SO and I) need more explicit instruction in how to interact with her, and she's now trying a new strategy. She has identified a "safe spot" near where the large beings hang out (a chair in the living room that is now "her" chair.") When she wants attention she rolls on her back to display her tummy and merrrs at us. We are then to pet her briefly on the chair. She then jumps off the chair and flops down on the mat and merrrs. We are then to pet her on the mat.  She then trots down the hall and stops at certain spots for additional petting at that spot. If you do not follow her, she looks back and merrrs. This continues until she hides under a bed, at which point the interaction is over.

Gives new meaning to the teaching concept of "successive approximation..."

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

OneMoreYear

We have a new motion activated closet light in the bedroom closet.  At 2am, the light goes on, then it goes off, then it goes on again, then it goes off. This occurs several times before my brain figures out why there would be a blinking light in the bedroom.
I discover that SO had left the closet door open and Ricochet is sitting on the top shelf staring down at me. I think she was using the light to contact her home planet using a modified Morse code.

Quote from: Puget on July 13, 2022, 06:30:37 PM
I've just returned from a week away. Cats had one of their usual sitters who they love, so they don't seem too out of sorts, though they have let me know that a more full time servant is expected.

Our cat sitter usually reports that when she arrives to check the litter box and food bowls, Ninja prances out to investigate and then requests to go home with the sitter because she requires access to full time staff and hers have DISAPPEARED!  The cat sitter has never seen Ricochet.

Parasaurolophus

The red cat has been gone for about 24 hours now, which is unprecedented. He frequently decides he'd rather not come home at dusk, but he's usually home by 04h00. There hasn't been a sign of him today, however.

I hope the poor guy's okay and just being a brat.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

+1

If it's hot where you are, maybe he's just decided to stay out for some fresh air?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on July 20, 2022, 06:53:17 PM
+1

If it's hot where you are, maybe he's just decided to stay out for some fresh air?

M.

It hasn't been too hot here (thankfully!).

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 20, 2022, 06:32:06 PM
The red cat has been gone for about 24 hours now, which is unprecedented. He frequently decides he'd rather not come home at dusk, but he's usually home by 04h00. There hasn't been a sign of him today, however.

He came back sometime in the wee hours, stuck around a while, and now is out again. The brat.

Whew!
I know it's a genus.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 21, 2022, 08:27:31 AM
Quote from: mamselle on July 20, 2022, 06:53:17 PM
+1

M.

It hasn't been too hot here (thankfully!).

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 20, 2022, 06:32:06 PM

He came back sometime in the wee hours, stuck around a while, and now is out again. The brat.

Whew!

Are we sharing a cat?  I have one who does this a few times a month, with no clear pattern that I can see.

mamselle

Just a note, it's been March since we've seen a post from SmallCleanRat, hope they're OK.

M.

apl68

I hope that Ratty is well also.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

clean

QuoteAre we sharing a cat? 

It is a wise kitty that has multiple servants trained and ready for action.  Besides one house may have better winter sunbeams and one better summer sunbeams (or better views from the respective kitty trees - thrones)  One may be warmer when needed (winter) and one cooler when desired (summer).

Servants should always be ready to serve and grateful for the Royal Kitty Rubs bestowed! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Yes, a friend in France lived in a 4 x 4 apartment where each of the back apartments had a large window opening onto the shared garden.

She would feed a stray cat for a couple days, then it would disappear, then come back a couple days later.

Finally, it took to coming in at night, and then leaving the next AM.

Eventually, she discovered her neighbor on the other side of the hallway was feeding the same cat--and letting it in during the day.

The little two-timer!

M.

Puget

I have a new grad student cat sitter for my upcoming trip, since the usual two aren't available. She came over to see where everything was and "meet the cats". Panther Boy at least let himself be seen from the safety of his above the fridge cabinet cave. Little Calico disappeared completely, which is her speciality when intruders are in the house. Really, we toured the whole house, including all the usual hiding places, and she was nowhere to be seen. Sitter had to take my word for it that there was a second cat. Moments after she left, said cat silently reappeared from parts unknown.  I think there may be an alternate dimension involved.

(They'll both come around when they realize sitter is the only source of pets available).

Quote from: mamselle on July 21, 2022, 12:25:36 PM
Yes, a friend in France lived in a 4 x 4 apartment where each of the back apartments had a large window opening onto the shared garden.

She would feed a stray cat for a couple days, then it would disappear, then come back a couple days later.

Finally, it took to coming in at night, and then leaving the next AM.

Eventually, she discovered her neighbor on the other side of the hallway was feeding the same cat--and letting it in during the day.

The little two-timer!

M.

There is a children's book called "Seven Dinner Sid" with a similar plot.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

I'll have to look for that.

Re: the disappearing kitty: Do you ever have stray Narnians wandering about?

Maybe there's a closet somewhere...

M.