News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

Awww!  It's good to hear from you and get an update about your kitties.

I feel the hurt about not being the favorite.  I picked out Izzy kitten when I was sad & recovering from surgery.  I thought we had/would have a special bond since she was SO HAPPY to be out of the kitten enclosure at the shelter.  But no, I am not her Favorite Human.  She does not care much for any humans, but clearly I am the second choice human in the household. 

My childhood cat was a "I will climb your leg and cry until you carry me around like a baby".  Buddycat was the same way - trained me to carry him to his food dish in the morning so his toes didn't have to touch the cold floor.

I was hoping for that, but it's just not to be.  Or we just need to turn the heat off!

MarathonRunner

We had to help our eldest cat to the Rainbow Bridge. He was my cat, the next eldest (now the eldest) is definitely devoted to spouse. Our two youngest don't have favourites. So it's an adjustment no longer having a cat who dotes on me, but seeing our new eldest totally devoted to my spouse, and having the two younger give us equal attention. I'm the cat person, and we only have cats because of me (spouse loves ours, but would never have had cats without me).

I miss our grumpy old fart. He had heart failure and kidney failure, and eventually stopped eating, even with appetite stimulants, so we made the hard choice to say goodbye. I now have a heart-shaped necklace that has his ashes infused.

Younger of the two youngest has been diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, so that sucks too. New eldest has cancer. The now middle girl at least is healthy, with no issues so far (she's now six, new eldest is 15, youngest is almost 2).

As much as it hurts to lose one, I can't imagine life without a cat. There's something about a purr, or a knead, that just makes everything okay.

AmLitHist

I'm so sorry, MarathonRunner.  Hugs and skritches to all.

OneMoreYear

I'm so sorry to hear about your eldest cat, MarathonRunner.  It's clear he was loved and loved you. I agree that a house is not a home without a cat for me (luckily hubby feels the same way).

I also miss being the favorite person of a cat.  We adopted the our 2 when hubby lost his cat too young to cancer. He fell in love with a pair of kittens barely old enough for adoption. Ninja correctly ascertained that he was a man in need of a cat and claimed him as her human. She follows him around the house, sleeps on his laundry when he's at work, and sits on his lap whenever possible. Ricochet has claimed neither of us, though she seems reasonably convinced at this point that we won't eat her.

Parasaurolophus

My condolences, MarathonRunner.

Today the red cat came home with a fully gorged tick... on his anus.
I know it's a genus.

nebo113

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 05, 2023, 03:42:51 PM

Will not ask.....

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: nebo113 on April 05, 2023, 04:29:44 PM

Will not ask.....

Um. Wow. That must have hurt.

My condolences, as well, MarathonRunner.

FishProf

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 05, 2023, 04:31:26 PM
Quote from: nebo113 on April 05, 2023, 04:29:44 PM

Will not ask.....

Um. Wow. That must have hurt.

My condolences, as well, MarathonRunner.

I bet MarathonRunner didn't feel a thing....
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

MarathonRunner

Thanks all. The two youngest seem to be paying me more attention the past few days. I guess they are also missing our "grumpy old fart" now that he's gone. I guess we'll see how things work out over time.  Especially once new eldest passes. He is 16 with cancer, so at most 4 years left, but even that's unlikely. But we've been saying that since he diagnosis and he continues to defy the vets' prognoses (gave him 1-3 months to live in 2016, he is still happy but slower).

Larimar

Good to hear how you and your kitties are doing, Smallcleanrat.

Belated condolences to MarathonRunner and family.

Best wishes from Calico, OrangeGuy, Twerp, and HerMajesty too.

AmLitHist

Kid #1's barn cat, Waffles, is a momma again!  When they got up to go in to work for an overnight shift, they heard kitties mewing in the cat house on the deck.  Don't know how many yet; they'll let me know later today when they get home from work.

I'm a sucker for baby kits with their big eyes and tiny little tails.

OneMoreYear

Aww, baby kitties! I hope mama Waffles is doing well. Did her previous litter all become barn cats or were they adopted?

Ricochet continues her computer education. This week's skills: deleting an email, archiving an email, closing a Word document, closing an internet tab, moving the web browser into incognito mode, and writing a partial email (though it does not appear she is writing in English, as there were no vowels; luckily she's not sending them yet).

AmLitHist

Quote from: OneMoreYear on April 18, 2023, 06:09:46 PM
Aww, baby kitties! I hope mama Waffles is doing well. Did her previous litter all become barn cats or were they adopted?

Ricochet continues her computer education. This week's skills: deleting an email, archiving an email, closing a Word document, closing an internet tab, moving the web browser into incognito mode, and writing a partial email (though it does not appear she is writing in English, as there were no vowels; luckily she's not sending them yet).

Has she learned Welsh?

Last year's litter stayed with Mom and became barn cats. They've been sitting outside the box where the new babies and Mom are, standing guard.

Puget

Quote from: AmLitHist on April 19, 2023, 06:29:18 AM

Last year's litter stayed with Mom and became barn cats. They've been sitting outside the box where the new babies and Mom are, standing guard.

Very cute! But also, time to get Mom fixed before she gets pregnant again.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

OneMoreYear

Quote from: AmLitHist on April 19, 2023, 06:29:18 AM
Quote from: OneMoreYear on April 18, 2023, 06:09:46 PM

Has she learned Welsh?

Hubby thinks Hebrew.