News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneMoreYear

Double posting, but a couple days apart, so I think I'm OK . . .
I'm reporting in to say that, contrary to my initial assumptions, Ricochet the Squirrelly Tortie might be benefiting from the Stay-at-Home order. Yesterday, for the 1st time in the four years that she has ruled over us, she spontaneously rolled on her back to request a tummy rub, purred, and did not bite or scratch to make me stop.  Go, Ricochet, Go!
Ninja remains unimpressed because her chosen human (my husband) has a job considered essential, so he continues to go to work 5 days per week, leaving the less-preferred human at home with her.

Smallcleanrat, have you met any other kitties that pulled at your heartstrings?

sprout

Quote from: OneMoreYear on May 05, 2020, 08:39:45 PM
I'm reporting in to say that, contrary to my initial assumptions, Ricochet the Squirrelly Tortie might be benefiting from the Stay-at-Home order. Yesterday, for the 1st time in the four years that she has ruled over us, she spontaneously rolled on her back to request a tummy rub, purred, and did not bite or scratch to make me stop.  Go, Ricochet, Go!

We adopted kittens last summer, one of whom refused to believe that we weren't trying to eat her every time we got close.  (Also a tortie, hmm.)  Both of us home nearly 24-7 has done wonders for our relationship with her.  She still does a lot of flirting (I'll roll over and show you my belly, but run away if you try to come closer), but also sleeps in a cat bed next to us and lets us pet her pretty regularly now.

backatit

We normally work from home most of the time (I teach fully online, and my partner also works remotely) so our 3 are used to the routine. But I've noticed a difference since the pandemic; we are home a lot more, I think, and our outside interactions are a lot more limited (we had people in at least once to play board games, which the cats did like, as they're all pretty social, but which did disrupt the routine somewhat). Now they are all getting along a lot better (we have some territorial disputes between our youngest female and our male cat, who adores her and refuses to believe that she does not adore him in return). He follows her around with lovesick eyes, howling pitifully, while she hisses over her shoulder at him and occasionally turns around and chases him back to a safe distance. Now, however, he is lying on the table and she is on one of the chairs at the same table. Who knows why the detente? Cats are just weird...

The dogs, otoh (we also have 3 dogs), are just velcro...

OneMoreYear

Quote from: sprout on May 06, 2020, 08:49:38 AM

We adopted kittens last summer, one of whom refused to believe that we weren't trying to eat her every time we got close.  (Also a tortie, hmm.)  Both of us home nearly 24-7 has done wonders for our relationship with her.  She still does a lot of flirting (I'll roll over and show you my belly, but run away if you try to come closer), but also sleeps in a cat bed next to us and lets us pet her pretty regularly now.

Funny, that is the exact phrase we used around here. 

When we first adopted her, we enrolled Ricochet in developmental coursework in Feline-Human Interaction. After a few false starts, she passed the initial courses FHI 090: Come out of the closet; the humans will not eat you and FHI 095: Hands are not for hitting; the humans just want to pet you.

However, she has WF grades from the developmental Eating Food in the Home courses: EFH 050: Wet Food is not Poison and EFH 06: Treats are Tasty Too! due to non-participation.  She has agreed to eat exactly one variety of cat food, and has resisted any attempts to feed her anything else. 

FishProf

Orestes, our Maine Coon, has worms.  While it is a bit gross, I have been showing Smolt what they look like under a scope.

Luckily, our vet was willing to take my diagnosis and a photo as evidence and will prescribe for all 3 of the kittimals.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Puget

Quote from: OneMoreYear on May 07, 2020, 06:43:26 AM
Quote from: sprout on May 06, 2020, 08:49:38 AM

Funny, that is the exact phrase we used around here. 

When we first adopted her, we enrolled Ricochet in developmental coursework in Feline-Human Interaction. After a few false starts, she passed the initial courses FHI 090: Come out of the closet; the humans will not eat you and FHI 095: Hands are not for hitting; the humans just want to pet you.

However, she has WF grades from the developmental Eating Food in the Home courses: EFH 050: Wet Food is not Poison and EFH 06: Treats are Tasty Too! due to non-participation.  She has agreed to eat exactly one variety of cat food, and has resisted any attempts to feed her anything else.

This is hilarious!

Luckily my two yearlings (adopted at 5 months) had excellent socialization in their foster home and are firmly in the category of believing humans are their monkey servants rather than predators. However, big panther boy has repeatedly failed Behavior 101 Not Jumping on the Table and Counters and Behavior 102 Not Destroying Plants and Curtains, despite use of a spray bottle (which he seems to find only momentarily annoying). However, he has straight As in Cuteness Studies, so much is forgiven. His sister, little calico, is a much faster study, and also excels in Cuteness.

They are currently down for their usual mid-day sleep snuggled against each other on the coach, which never stops being cute.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

the_geneticist

Izzy the kitten is getting high marks in all of the coursework involving food: YUM 101 Try All the Flavors, YUM 102 Treats are Amazing, YUM 103 Trying Adult Kibble
However, she is having to do some remedial work in all Cat-Human Interactions: CHI 101 People Are Not Trying to Step on You (Really), CHI 102 Hands are for Petting, CHI 103 Getting Picked up Does Not Mean You Will be Eaten
The other cats report that she is clearly clueless about all Cat-Cat Interactions.  She is failing all CCI courses: CCI 101 Don't Steal Other Cats' Food, CCI 102 Don't Bother Me While I'm Napping, CCI 103 Growling Means You Stop That & Go Away Tiny Kitten
But she is excelling at growing fluffy, being an adorable doofus, and using a scratching post.

Catherder

My cat is failing Catch the Mouse 101. We have a second invader who has eluded us for two days now.  The cat does manage to flush it out from time to time, but then jumps back startled and gets in my way when the mouse starts to run.

She might be scraping a pass in Sentry Duty 102, though. She seems to know where the mouse is hiding, and crouches nearby.

Larimar

I agree, this is hilarious!

Right now Calico is turning in an excellent project for Feline-Human Interaction 150: Snuggling on Laps. She loves this course!

Unfortunately, earlier today Twerp failed a test in Puget's Feline Behavior 101: Not Jumping on the Table and Counters.
Apparently this is a very difficult course, because OrangeGuy's grades can be spotty too, and even HerMajesty isn't making a perfect score. Calico isn't taking this course because she is... of rubenesque nature... and doesn't jump on anything higher than a chair.

Larimar

mythbuster

You did know that FHI 150: Snuggling on laps, was crosslisted? It's also Feline Monkey Servant 150: Providing a Feline acceptable Lap. Sounds like you are passing that withf lying colors!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on May 07, 2020, 06:49:00 AM
Orestes, our Maine Coon, has worms.  While it is a bit gross, I have been showing Smolt what they look like under a scope.

Luckily, our vet was willing to take my diagnosis and a photo as evidence and will prescribe for all 3 of the kittimals.

Did your vet give you a discount for doing part of the labwork?

FishProf

I guess so, ididn't have to pay for a visit or labs.  Just for the Meds.

BTW - the boy is dosed and glowering.  We'll see how he does over the week it takes for the meds to take full effect

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on May 07, 2020, 02:36:32 PM

BTW - the boy is dosed and glowering.  We'll see how he does over the week it takes for the meds to take full effect

That's even better (just paying for meds). Yep, cats don't enjoy taking the meds. Hope he gets better soon.

Larimar

Quote from: mythbuster on May 07, 2020, 01:33:57 PM
You did know that FHI 150: Snuggling on laps, was crosslisted? It's also Feline Monkey Servant 150: Providing a Feline acceptable Lap. Sounds like you are passing that withf lying colors!

LOL! Thanks, Mythbuster. I guess Calico and I make good lab partners!

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 07, 2020, 04:33:35 PM
Quote from: FishProf on May 07, 2020, 02:36:32 PM

That's even better (just paying for meds). Yep, cats don't enjoy taking the meds. Hope he gets better soon.

I second the get-well-soon wish for Orestes. May the worm-Furies soon begone.

FishProf

I have a renewed Cat.  24 hours and Orestes is back to his quirky self!