News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneMoreYear

So wonderful to hear that you and SO are doing better, smallcleanrat.  For me, a house is not a home without a cat in it, and I would definitely be stressed with the social distancing requirements if I did not have my two troublemakers at home with me.

Quote from: smallcleanrat on June 12, 2020, 07:52:55 AM
But sometimes I begin to pet him and get what sounds like an annoyed meow followed by loud, sustained purring...and then nipping...and then following me when I try to back away. So...did you want petting or did you not want petting, kitty?

The answer to this question is  . . . Yes.   Obviously.   :)

evil_physics_witchcraft

Elder evil cat and youngest evil cat are lying on the couch with me, as I am wiped out from gardening (interthreaduality?). Elder cat is wearing a 'sweater' to prevent him from messing up his stitches. Youngest cat is sitting over my head pouting. Eldest evil cat is being antisocial in the kitchen.

statsgeek

Agree with OneMoreYear - a house without a cat is not a home.  We've had a rough quarantine with no fur-babies around. 

It's kitten day!  We adopted two little boys a week ago and they're coming home today.  I'm excited and scared - it's been a loooog time since I've had babies this young around.  We're hoping our "foster fail" girl will take to the newcomers and we can all be one big, happy family.  But I expect we'll have some drama in the process of getting acquainted. 

Larimar

Yay for new kittens for you too! Congratulations, and hope the introductions go well.

Larimar

FishProf

After months of being the "big scary monster from which I must flee/hide!", Orestes has started allowing skritches. 

Today, I was allowed a belly-rub and got love paws in return.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Quote from: FishProf on June 13, 2020, 09:36:23 AM
After months of being the "big scary monster from which I must flee/hide!", Orestes has started allowing skritches. 

Awww....way to go, Orestes!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Larimar on June 12, 2020, 09:34:59 AM

This reminds me of a quote I saw somewhere, not sure where: "A cat doesn't know what it wants, but it wants more of it."

Does he get startled when you start petting him? Some kitties startle easily if they're high-strung or shy. It sounds like yours might be in the former category. If so, startling could possibly explain the initial loud meow. Other than that it sounds like he probably does want to be petted. As for what he does with your SO, OrangeGuy sometimes does something similar with me, and what he wants is simply attention. We're usually in the kitchen when he does this, so what I do is pet him briefly and talk to him, telling him what a sweetie and a good boy he is, and keep talking to him for a bit as I wash my hands and go back to cooking. He soon quiets down.

Yes, raising kittens is an adventure. HerMajesty and Calico were pretty well socialized by the time we adopted them from rescue places at ages 3-4 months, so with them it was pretty easy. However, we had quite a time raising OrangeGuy and Twerp from the age of 3 days. (They were born practically right on our doorstep and then abandoned by their feral mother.) We had to learn what we were doing very quickly, but luckily a friend was able to instruct us, and it worked out just fine. Our Mungojerrie and Rumpleteaser wannabes are doing well and will turn 4 in October.

Enjoy the ride, and enjoy the bond. Your kitten is one lucky critter.

Larimar

Larimar, plea for attention makes sense, and would explain why he doesn't do it with me. SO is far more successful than I am at tuning out the kitty's antics while working or engaged in hobbies. His attention is doled out in more restricted doses than mine. All kitty has to do to get my attention is walk into the room...or make noise in the next room...or simply exist somewhere in the apartment. He doesn't really have to ask for my attention; it's there whenever he wants it (and sometimes when he doesn't; I'm trying to exercise more restraint). SO is extremely fond of the kitten and has filled his phone with photos and videos of cat and not much else over the past month. But I am utterly besotted; sometimes I just gaze at the marvel that is a kitten, taking in all the little details of his features and behaviors. I have to keep reminding myself to give him his space as he matures. He's not the needy little infant I once bottle-fed...

Quote from: mamselle on June 12, 2020, 09:46:11 AM

My first kiitty was a tuxedo, and I love the moniker Maestro (since he is obviously also taking control of the household, as he should).

Yes, Maestro seems right on multiple levels! He really has become master of our home.

Quote from: OneMoreYear on June 12, 2020, 01:30:48 PM
For me, a house is not a home without a cat in it, and I would definitely be stressed with the social distancing requirements if I did not have my two troublemakers at home with me.

I had certainly been pining for a critter for quite some time. Something was definitely missing. Our home feels fuller now, and not just in the sense that his toy and beds and cat tree and all other items related to cat have spread to every room of the apartment.

Quote from: statsgeek on June 13, 2020, 04:23:11 AM
Agree with OneMoreYear - a house without a cat is not a home.  We've had a rough quarantine with no fur-babies around. 

It's kitten day!  We adopted two little boys a week ago and they're coming home today.  I'm excited and scared - it's been a loooog time since I've had babies this young around.  We're hoping our "foster fail" girl will take to the newcomers and we can all be one big, happy family.  But I expect we'll have some drama in the process of getting acquainted. 

Congratulations, statsgeek! How old are your kitties?

What are love paws?

FishProf

Love Paws - The alternating kneading behavior of cats with their front paws.  Used as kittens when nursing to help express milk.  Adult cats do it as a sign of comfort/pleasure/affection.

AmLitHist

Quote from: FishProf on June 13, 2020, 01:29:40 PM
Love Paws - The alternating kneading behavior of cats with their front paws.  Used as kittens when nursing to help express milk.  Adult cats do it as a sign of comfort/pleasure/affection.

Also referred to as "making bread" or "making biscuits" in our house.

statsgeek

Well, we made it through our first night at home! 

Babies are approximately 11 and 15 weeks (not same litter).  They're slowly getting used to each other, and now they're talking to our older girl under the door.  The younger one is already a lap kitty of the highest order, older is still getting used to everything and is rather growly (but his foster assured me he's also a cuddle-bug once he gets to know you).   They only woke us up twice with big thumps of the type that needed to be checked on (nobody hurt).  Younger is having some box issues; I think he's not happy with the type of litter so I'll be heading to the store for another option when they open. 

I tell you, there is nothing like being greeted in the morning by a baby who is so eager for snuggles that he's climbing my leg! 

Puget

Sounds like you're off to a good start statsgeek!

Yesterday my two had their first trip to the back yard on leashes. It was officially the most exciting and best thing ever from their perspective, especially panther boy who was not best pleased when it was time to come back inside. Little calico also enjoyed it but was more cautious. From my perspective, it went pretty well but I quickly realized I needed to order longer leashes, since I was getting pulled in two directions and panther boy is STRONG. I have 16' retractable ones on the way.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

OneMoreYear

Such a brave Orestes! Ricochet, who was convinced for many months that we were going to eat her, recommends that Orestes only allows tummy rubs in specific spots in the house, so the humans are kept on their toes (Ricochet's chosen spots are: on cloth bags in front of the front door, in front of the refrigerator, and on top of the  tallest bookcase). You may not want to pass her advice along.

Quote from: statsgeek on June 14, 2020, 05:32:21 AM
Well, we made it through our first night at home! 

Babies are approximately 11 and 15 weeks (not same litter).  They're slowly getting used to each other, and now they're talking to our older girl under the door.  The younger one is already a lap kitty of the highest order, older is still getting used to everything and is rather growly (but his foster assured me he's also a cuddle-bug once he gets to know you).   They only woke us up twice with big thumps of the type that needed to be checked on (nobody hurt).  Younger is having some box issues; I think he's not happy with the type of litter so I'll be heading to the store for another option when they open. 

I tell you, there is nothing like being greeted in the morning by a baby who is so eager for snuggles that he's climbing my leg! 

Sounds like a resounding success! Yay for new fora kitties!!  Ninja used to climb our legs for snuggling when she was 2 pound fluffball.  Occasionally, she appears to forget that she is now a 12 pound panther and that leg climbing is no longer welcome.

FishProf

Quote from: OneMoreYear on June 14, 2020, 06:52:05 AM

Such a brave Orestes! Ricochet, who was convinced for many months that we were going to eat her, recommends that Orestes only allows tummy rubs in specific spots in the house, so the humans are kept on their toes (Ricochet's chosen spots are: on cloth bags in front of the front door, in front of the refrigerator, and on top of the  tallest bookcase). You may not want to pass her advice along.

Oh, there is a pattern.  I am not privy to it.

smallcleanrat

Do cats ever try to comfort humans?

Yesterday I was on my bed, upset and crying. Our little Maestro peeked into my room, saw me, and bounded straight to the bed to snuggle up to me.

This is the first time he's come to me so directly. His usual pattern of joining me for bed is to saunter into the room, check on his toys (is he trying to make sure they are still where he remembers them?), and then jump up on the bed. That is followed by batting at any lumps or folds in the blanket, peering out the window, maybe some grooming, and then, at long last, settling down next to me.

This time he seemed so purposeful.

I was reading speculation that when a cat seems more interested in a sad person, it is because they have learned sad humans like to love on kitties, so signs of sadness are a signal to the cat that it can count on more attention. So it becomes a mutually beneficial reaction, just not motivated by a cat's desire for the human to feel better.

But I think this is the first time Maestro has seen me cry, so he wouldn't have previous experience to draw on.

What do all you experienced cat-lovers think?

mamselle

I can recall times of being upset and finding a kitty creeping into my lap or snuggling up to me in bed.

Some other times I'd pick one up for a moment of consolation and have them wiggle out of my arms.

So, it's not a guaranteed thing, and it can be different with different cats for different reasons.

It's very much on their terms.

Being owned by a cat teaches one to accept mystery and abide with linear uncertainty while living amidst a fairly strong affection field.

But it's sweet that Maestro did that.

They do, sometimes.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.