News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

Elektra is highly sensitive to crying.  If Smolt is upset, Elektra is there.  And she is not normally a cuddly kind of kitten.  Crying is like catnip to her.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

OneMoreYear

FluffyGirl, my late long-haired calico who traveled with me through grad school into early career transition, was also sensitive to my crying. I was her human, so she followed me around much of the time. But, if I was crying, she would cuddle up to my chest and lick my face (salt perhaps?).  My current two are not as tuned in to my moods, but Ninja owns my husband and Ricochet remains confounded by the ways of humans, so I would not expect that type of behavior from them.

statsgeek

My LittleGirl (of blessed memory) came right to me when I got the call my mom had passed away.  Yes, they know, especially the ones that are tightly bonded to their people. 

Larimar

Agreed. Cats know.

A belated Attaboy! to Orestes for trying out the love bug thing.

Also don't forget to enroll the new kittens in Fora kitty classes from upthread!

Larimar

Puget

Quote from: Larimar on June 15, 2020, 08:55:42 AMAlso don't forget to enroll the new kittens in Fora kitty classes from upthread!

If any cats are interested in a peer taught course, Little Calico is offering Staff Management 400: Getting the Belly Rubs you Deserve. The syllabus includes strategic times and places to roll on your back, and how to communicate with your staff the urgency of complying with your requests. Panther Boy is currently prepping courses in Getting Your Staff to Open Windows, and The Art of Getting Staff to Take you Outside in your PPE.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Puget on June 15, 2020, 09:39:34 AM
Quote from: Larimar on June 15, 2020, 08:55:42 AMAlso don't forget to enroll the new kittens in Fora kitty classes from upthread!

If any cats are interested in a peer taught course, Little Calico is offering Staff Management 400: Getting the Belly Rubs you Deserve. The syllabus includes strategic times and places to roll on your back, and how to communicate with your staff the urgency of complying with your requests. Panther Boy is currently prepping courses in Getting Your Staff to Open Windows, and The Art of Getting Staff to Take you Outside in your PPE.

Ninja is excited to see Little Calico and Panther Boy's offerings and would like to propose the development of a new peer-taught certificate program entitled Fora Cats Staff Management: Getting Everything You Deserve. She predicts this would attract high enrollment and encourages other content experts to propose additional courses, particularly those that are designed to be taught asynchronously between naps.

the_geneticist

Sir Puck would like to offer certification in Staff Management 501: "How to Ensure On Time Meals".  Tips include the best way to wake up the human staff, how to barter ear rubs for faster service, and how to demand that cats are fed before the staff make coffee or any other human nonsense.

Izzy the kitten is completely failing at Sneaking 101 (aka dainty cat feet) and happily makes "tomp, tomp, tomp" noises with her giant paws on the hardwood floors.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Elder Evil Cat is teaching an introductory course in 'How to Operate as a Bulldozer Using a Simple Cone-of-Shame.'

Youngest Evil Cat is offering advanced courses in 'How to Dig into the Sofa and Be a General Hemorrhoid to the Humans.'

Eldest Evil Cat is a Professor Emeritus and so doesn't teach.

AmLitHist

Younger daughter and I were talking at my desk this morning when we heard a pitiful meow.  At first we thought it was Little Cat but soon realized it was Jake outside the open window.  Another meow, and he appeared on the window (some 6 feet off the ground).  He had his front feet on the edge of the upper glass, claws in the screen, and hung there wondering, "now what the hell do I do? "  After gingerly climbing down to get his front feet on the screen and his back feet on the house, and hanging there a minute, he thumped onto the ground.  I stuck my head out the front door to check on him, but by then he was around back, drinking water, flipping his tail, and acting like nothing happened. 

(The screen is unscathed, luckily.  ALHS would have had a fit had it been snagged.)

mamselle

How did he get up there????!!!

Cats.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on June 16, 2020, 08:31:51 AM

Cats.

M.

He took Youngest Evil Cat's intermediate course on "Jumping."

AmLitHist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 16, 2020, 09:42:56 AM

Cats.

M.

I think he CLEP'ed out of that one.  He's jumped sky-high (well, at least 4+ feet in the air from a standing start) since the day we found him he adopted us.

Larimar

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 16, 2020, 10:16:32 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 16, 2020, 09:42:56 AM

Cats.

M.

I think he CLEP'ed out of that one.  He's jumped sky-high (well, at least 4+ feet in the air from a standing start) since the day we found him he adopted us.

Wow, that's some jump.

Quote from: the_geneticist on June 15, 2020, 04:45:23 PM
Sir Puck would like to offer certification in Staff Management 501: "How to Ensure On Time Meals".  Tips include the best way to wake up the human staff, how to barter ear rubs for faster service, and how to demand that cats are fed before the staff make coffee or any other human nonsense.

The Larimar crew has a proposal for the next peer-taught course in the sequence: Staff Management 502: Communicating Feline Dietary Requirements to Clueless Humans, team taught by HerMajesty, Calico, OrangeGuy, and Twerp. Course curriculum includes perfecting the "That stuff?!" facial expression and the "burying" gesture, as well as just the right level of purr if for once the humans actually get it right.

HerMajesty will only eat kibble, and the others have recently decided that "Cod, Sole, and Shrimp" flavor canned food is unacceptable. At least it doesn't go to waste. The feral kitties outside scarf it up in the blink of an eye.

Larimar

OneMoreYear

Ricochet is all set to teach Cat Computer Science 102: Changing your human's computer settings for no reason.   

In her awkward attempt to cuddle, she walked across my laptop keyboard and toggled off the microphone key, causing me to be unable to use the microphone to teach in the LMS. As I did not know about this key, I had no idea why I could suddenly no longer teach with sound.   After some trial and error, my University's fabulous tech support was able to help me figure out what happened (seriously, I am so lucky, our instructional support folks rock!).

Quote from: Larimar on June 16, 2020, 12:46:30 PM

The Larimar crew has a proposal for the next peer-taught course in the sequence: Staff Management 502: Communicating Feline Dietary Requirements to Clueless Humans, team taught by HerMajesty, Calico, OrangeGuy, and Twerp. Course curriculum includes perfecting the "That stuff?!" facial expression and the "burying" gesture, as well as just the right level of purr if for once the humans actually get it right.

HerMajesty will only eat kibble, and the others have recently decided that "Cod, Sole, and Shrimp" flavor canned food is unacceptable. At least it doesn't go to waste. The feral kitties outside scarf it up in the blink of an eye.

Larimar

Ricochet has CLEP'd this course, as she will only eat one specific flavor of one brand of kibble and responds to other offerings as if we are going to poison her.  Ninja is much more food adventurous; the other day, I caught her chewing on a piece of Roman lettuce.

the_geneticist

Quote from: OneMoreYear on June 17, 2020, 08:27:31 AM
Ricochet is all set to teach Cat Computer Science 102: Changing your human's computer settings for no reason.   

In her awkward attempt to cuddle, she walked across my laptop keyboard and toggled off the microphone key, causing me to be unable to use the microphone to teach in the LMS. As I did not know about this key, I had no idea why I could suddenly no longer teach with sound.   After some trial and error, my University's fabulous tech support was able to help me figure out what happened (seriously, I am so lucky, our instructional support folks rock!).

Quote from: Larimar on June 16, 2020, 12:46:30 PM

Larimar

Ricochet has CLEP'd this course, as she will only eat one specific flavor of one brand of kibble and responds to other offerings as if we are going to poison her.  Ninja is much more food adventurous; the other day, I caught her chewing on a piece of Roman lettuce.

Lady Jane has managed all sorts of mischief by dainty stepping across my keyboard.  Her brother, Sir Puck, managed to unplug the desktop during a meeting.

As far as food, we have Venn diagrams of preferences for the cats.  Effie cat will only eat paté style canned food (no shreds, chunks, meaty bits, etc.).  Lady Jane will only eat seafood flavored canned food.  Sir Puck will eat anything except the super-duper-fancy high calorie paté that is just for Effie.  Izzy the kitten will eat absolutely everything, up to and including random bits of lint off the floor.
Thankfully we can buy cases of seafood flavored paté style wet food.