News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larimar

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 28, 2020, 11:26:20 AM
Yeah, I think the other behavioural cues all seem fine. As long as he's not avoiding contact when he purrs, or putting himself away in a dark corner, it should be fine and perfectly happy purring.

I agree. It sounds like Maestro is most likely absolutely fine.

the_geneticist

Quote from: smallcleanrat on July 28, 2020, 10:42:51 AM
Lately I've noticed a curious behavior from Maestro. It's a variation on a behavior he's had since we first got him.

From day 1, Maestro enjoyed soft, fuzzy blankets. He would "nurse" from the blanket for about 5 minutes at a time: biscuit paws, suckling noises, fervent purring. I read this is fairly common behavior for kittens, especially when separated from mother too soon.

As he's matured, he's been nursing on blankets less often, and I've noticed a new quirk: as soon as SO enters the room, Maestro begins nursing and purring furiously. He will stop as soon as SO exits; we've tested this several times. Maestro does not do this with me. He and I can be lounging together on the bed peacefully, Maestro leaning against my side. Then SO pops in for a chat, Maestro leaps to his feet and attacks the blanket, making suckling noises and forcefully kneading the cloth.

Now I've read some opinions that cats nurse on objects as a form of comfort during stress. I've read others that say cats nurse as a form of comfort. Period. Cats do it because it feels nice, not necessarily because they are stressed.

Is Maestro just excited to see SO? He will often jump in SO's lap or follow him out of the room, so I'd like to think he is not seeing SO as a source of stress.

What does the forum think?

I've heard similarly divided reasons for purring. 1) Cats purr as an expression of pleasure and contentment. 2) Cats purr when experiencing stress or pain as a form of self-soothing. Maestro purrs loudly when I pick up his bowl to fill it and sometimes when he is eating. I assume these are purrs of pleasure. He will also purr sometimes if I simply move to be physically closer to him. No petting, just proximity, and he rumbles away like a motorcycle engine. I want to believe this just means he is happy to be hanging out with me.

How can I make sure he is not purring because he is stressed about me invading his space?

It sounds like Maestro loves both of you :o)
Two of my cats, Sir Puck & Lady Jane, will jump on my lap & to the "purr-y slobbers" with foot kneading when I'm wearing my pjs. I think it's because that's what I wore to cuddle with them when we brought them home.  It's a sign of happiness.  I think Maestro really loves your company and likes having you near.

sprout

Lately I've noticed a curious behavior from Maestro. It's a variation on a behavior he's had since we first got him.

From day 1, Maestro enjoyed soft, fuzzy blankets. He would "nurse" from the blanket for about 5 minutes at a time: biscuit paws, suckling noises, fervent purring. I read this is fairly common behavior for kittens, especially when separated from mother too soon.

We had an adult cat that would do this on one particular blanket.  And get so fixated/entranced that he'd let out a startled meow if you touched or otherwise interrupted him.  It got slightly uncomfortable at times, like, should we give them some privacy?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: sprout on July 28, 2020, 01:48:00 PM

We had an adult cat that would do this on one particular blanket.  And get so fixated/entranced that he'd let out a startled meow if you touched or otherwise interrupted him.  It got slightly uncomfortable at times, like, should we give them some privacy?

This! This is Elder Evil cat!

Catherder

"Look! A Bird"  I'm not sure if this belongs there or here.  With the very hot weather we've been having, all the doors and windows are open and my cat has been racing from one screen to another.  To the front door, sparrows on the lawn. To the back door, geese on the lawn. Leaping up to a side window, goldfinches in the lilac bushes. Up onto my desk, robins and doves in the cherry tree, and down to a back window, a catbird on the stump and a kingfisher hovering.  Lots of predatory crouching and tail lashing.

Larimar

Quote from: Catherder on August 01, 2020, 05:34:26 AM
"Look! A Bird"  I'm not sure if this belongs there or here.  With the very hot weather we've been having, all the doors and windows are open and my cat has been racing from one screen to another.  To the front door, sparrows on the lawn. To the back door, geese on the lawn. Leaping up to a side window, goldfinches in the lilac bushes. Up onto my desk, robins and doves in the cherry tree, and down to a back window, a catbird on the stump and a kingfisher hovering.  Lots of predatory crouching and tail lashing.

Sounds like a lot of fun was had! And you have lilacs and a cherry tree in your yard? How lovely!

The other day I was bringing the trash bin back from the curb after the trash collectors had been through, and discovered a suspicious pile of gray feathers in the yard - probably mourning dove - and one of the feral colony cats was a plausibly-deniable distance away but looking quite proud of herself...

Larimar

the_geneticist

Quote from: Catherder on August 01, 2020, 05:34:26 AM

The mightiest of mighty hunters has to keep on their toes!  So many birds!  Any chirping or singing involved?

Catherder

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 03, 2020, 10:58:54 AM

The mightiest of mighty hunters has to keep on their toes!  So many birds! Any chirping or singing involved?

Oh yes, my cat does both.

the_geneticist

I had the hardest time getting our cat in for an urgent, non-emergency vet appointment.  The 24-hour emergency vet said they would only take trauma cases, the local vet said they only take emergencies, and the far-side-of-town said they are booked solid for more than 2 weeks out.
I finally got her seen last week when I begged to drop her off and leave her all day with the local vet just in case she could be seen between scheduled cases.
But I could get a next-day appointment for vaccinations.  Really?!?

mamselle

They can charge extra for vaccinations.

Next time, book the vaccination first, and ask for an exam at the same time.

One has to be crafty....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

Quote from: mamselle on August 10, 2020, 12:18:39 PM
They can charge extra for vaccinations.

Next time, book the vaccination first, and ask for an exam at the same time.

One has to be crafty....

M.

I've been thinking and realized that the vaccinations can be handled by vet techs and don't require the main veterinarian.  That's probably why they are easy to schedule. 

mamselle

Oh, OK, yeah.

Probably a less sinister reason.

Sorry....we don't need any more drama, do we?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

wareagle

Fatso Catso has CUPS, which I had never heard of, and is apparently fairly common.  He's never had great teeth, and I'm assuming at some point the ones that remain will be pulled.  He also has tooth resorption.  When I saw the X-rays, I was shocked.  Teeth and roots that were there in 2017 were completely gone three years later.

Fortunately, he loves canned food.  Good thing, since he'll be on it for the rest of his life.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: wareagle on August 12, 2020, 08:47:51 AM
Fatso Catso has CUPS, which I had never heard of, and is apparently fairly common.  He's never had great teeth, and I'm assuming at some point the ones that remain will be pulled.  He also has tooth resorption.  When I saw the X-rays, I was shocked.  Teeth and roots that were there in 2017 were completely gone three years later.

Fortunately, he loves canned food.  Good thing, since he'll be on it for the rest of his life.

Poor kitty. Elder evil cat had several teeth pulled this year, so now one side of his mouth is lacking them. Makes eating cat grass interesting for him...

statsgeek

We had a wonderful kitty when I was little who had no teeth for the last several years of her life, and did just fine.  We gave her wet food arranged in a "mountain" on the plate so she could lick it up easily.