News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallcleanrat

Maestro has invented a new way to tell his humans, "Sleep time is over! I require breakfast!"

His typical method is to wriggle out of cuddles, march repeatedly over our bodies to make sure we're awake, and then gallop thunderously out of the bedroom to his empty food dish, giving us pointed looks.

Oversleeping get us nipped toes, but we make it a point not to respond to this so he doesn't learn that biting humans makes breakfast appear.

This morning marks an innovation. My new alarm clock: having his beloved stuffed fish dropped directly onto my face.

FishProf

Ah yes: Apply object directly to human face.  Suitable objects include toys, wet paws, and if necessary, your butt.

(Excerpt from the Feline Guide to Galaxy)
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

the_geneticist

Buddycat preferred the "gently tap face with paws" method.  If that failed, there was the "purr like a chainsaw and stomp across the person".  And the final stage was "carefully place one giant kitty paw over the mouth, place another over the nostrils, and press down".

clean

I owned a waterbed when I was owned by a cat.  (He was named "Cat", "Sir Tristan de Lioness," or FatCat (as he was close to 20 pounds)).  If I 'overslept' he would get on the headboard and then Jump on the water bed and then run, making bigger waves.  He would do this repeatedly, IF I didnt get up. 

On the positive side, he would fetch!  It all started when I was trying to work on things and he would climb up and then bat, or chew on the pencil.  I balled up a small piece of paper, threw it and he would chase it down and then bring it back.  He did that once until my arm gave out.  (I wasnt really able to get my work done when he was in such a mood).
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

smallcleanrat

Quote from: the_geneticist on October 16, 2020, 02:50:31 PM
Buddycat preferred the "gently tap face with paws" method.  If that failed, there was the "purr like a chainsaw and stomp across the person".  And the final stage was "carefully place one giant kitty paw over the mouth, place another over the nostrils, and press down".

Wow. Buddycat's methods go from adorable to menacing real fast.

Quote from: clean on October 16, 2020, 03:58:54 PM
I owned a waterbed when I was owned by a cat.  (He was named "Cat", "Sir Tristan de Lioness," or FatCat (as he was close to 20 pounds)).  If I 'overslept' he would get on the headboard and then Jump on the water bed and then run, making bigger waves.  He would do this repeatedly, IF I didnt get up. 

That's a fantastic image. I wonder if there are any animal behaviorists who would consider this a form of tool use.

I'm realizing now how much my first cat spoiled me. He was a polite elderly fellow. He always waited until I was actually out of bed to request breakfast (even if I overslept). And then it was a paw on the cupboard door where his food was kept and a gentle "Mrrrew?" as if he were saying "Might I trouble you for something to eat?"

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on October 16, 2020, 03:58:54 PM

On the positive side, he would fetch!  It all started when I was trying to work on things and he would climb up and then bat, or chew on the pencil.  I balled up a small piece of paper, threw it and he would chase it down and then bring it back.  He did that once until my arm gave out.  (I wasnt really able to get my work done when he was in such a mood).

That's cute. Elder evil cat used to fetch socks when he was an adolescent. Now, he just carries stuffed animals around in his mouth (and sometimes socks) and does this mournful meowing/yowling. It is annoying as hell.

Edit: Sorry, I've been grumpy this week. It's actually funny when he does it (when I'm in a better mood).

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Elder evil cat almost ate a katydid tonight (that had been leaving peacefully in the house). Before I knew it, he had spotted it, ran over to the wall and grabbed it in his mouth. He dropped it on the floor and I tried to remove it, but it had grabbed the carpet with its mandibles and would not let go! I mean. this thing was really hanging on. I managed to loosen it's grip using a knife to dislodge the carpet fibers and put it out of cat reach.

This was after his 2nd lunch and pre-dinner snack of chicken.

Elder evil cat was still disappointed that he couldn't eat that bug. To make up for his loss, I have shared my electric blanket with him. He's still taking a nap on it now.

What a spoiled butthead.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 17, 2020, 07:34:47 PM
Elder evil cat almost ate a katydid tonight (that had been leaving peacefully in the house). Before I knew it, he had spotted it, ran over to the wall and grabbed it in his mouth. He dropped it on the floor and I tried to remove it, but it had grabbed the carpet with its mandibles and would not let go! I mean. this thing was really hanging on. I managed to loosen it's grip using a knife to dislodge the carpet fibers and put it out of cat reach.

Elder evil cat was still disappointed that he couldn't eat that bug. To make up for his loss, I have shared my electric blanket with him. He's still taking a nap on it now.

What a spoiled butthead.

Are katydids really that tasty?

Do all your cats get second lunches and pre-dinner snacks or is elder evil cat an especially big eater?

Maestro gulped down a spider and it gave me the creeps.

SO: "I thought you'd be happy about that. You don't like spiders in the house."

Yes, well...I don't particularly want them in my fur baby's belly either...

But the Maestro seemed quite pleased with himself.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: smallcleanrat on October 17, 2020, 09:59:56 PM

What a spoiled butthead.

Are katydids really that tasty?

Do all your cats get second lunches and pre-dinner snacks or is elder evil cat an especially big eater?

Maestro gulped down a spider and it gave me the creeps.

SO: "I thought you'd be happy about that. You don't like spiders in the house."

Yes, well...I don't particularly want them in my fur baby's belly either...

But the Maestro seemed quite pleased with himself.

I don't know what they taste like. I do know that he ate a grasshopper earlier in the year and seemed to enjoy it.

We try to spread Elder evil cat's food out since he tends to eat way too fast and then barf it up. So, he gets a lot of mini meals throughout the day.

Hmm. Maybe he thinks he's helping clear out bugs in the house?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Elder evil cat almost ate a katydid tonight (that had been living peacefully in the house). Before I knew it, he had spotted it, ran over to the wall and grabbed it in his mouth. He dropped it on the floor and I tried to remove it, but it had grabbed the carpet with its mandibles and would not let go! I mean. this thing was really hanging on. I managed to loosen it's grip using a knife to dislodge the carpet fibers and put it out of cat reach.

What a spoiled butthead.

Edited for spelling.

Larimar

Hm, it seems some bugs are tastier than others. I have discovered several black beetles in the house over the past couple of weeks that had apparently been dispatched but not eaten by the Larimar cats. However, I believe they would concur that orthopterids (crickets, grasshoppers, katydids) and lepidopterids (moths and butterflies) are delicious.

Larimar

nebo113

Am giggling over the exploits of your felines....and learned that kitties have baby teeth!

the_geneticist

My kitties LOVE to catch & eat bugs. 
Tasty bugs: house flies, spiders, lady bugs, earwigs
Super tasty & super fun to catch: grasshoppers, crickets, bees*
Fun to catch but icky flavored: grubs, stinkbugs, ladybugs, cockroaches
Too small to bother: ants, aphids

They like to chase pillbugs, but can't figure out how to eat them.

*also slightly dangerous.  Sir Puck has been stung at least twice

Buddycat was a champion bug hunter in his youth.  I never had trouble with flies or spiders.

Puget

Oh yes, mine are super excited about bug hunting too. The funniest is when there is a fly or something on the ceiling and they stand on their hind legs on top of whatever the tallest piece of furniture nearby is and wave their front paws toward it-- clearly judging distances is hard when you're a super excited little cat!

I'm happy to report that the cats have found the stress of having the stove installed in the living room has been worth it-- Little Calico in particular is a heat seeking missile, and will lay right next to it until her fur is toasty hot.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes