News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Youngest evil cat is pretty darn smart. I think she understands 'No', she just doesn't like it. I have her in my office where the basil, ginger, turmeric and pineapple plants are and she has been eyeing them. Of course, when I first let her in, she started chewing on a small pineapple plant leaf. After hearing me say, 'No', she ran over to the old black rug and flopped. She then got up and sauntered over to a different plant and the process repeated. So, I think she sees the black rug as the 'Safety Zone' where she won't get in trouble even after getting into things.

OneMoreYear

I came home after work today to find that the cat food bowls were almost empty.  Both cats watched me as I filled them.  Ninja then walked over to the bowls and began eating.  Ricochet looked at the now full bowls and ran out of the kitchen to hide behind the couch. 

smallcleanrat

Quote from: clean on October 25, 2020, 08:49:18 AM
taking turns 'hunting' can be a game.
I would hide in a door way and peek out periodically like I was stalking him.  You can also freeze when he sees you.  IF you get closer you can rock on your feet, like he will twich his back legs before a jump.

However, you may want your SO to play this game.  It may be better for you to be 'the lover/protector' and he the rough player.

At least for another six months so that he is less confused.

Does the six-months suggestion have to do with Maestro still being young and impressionable?

Recently he was doing his best to entice me to chase him (SO noticed: "He really seems to like playing that keepaway game with you."). He doesn't seem to play this game with SO. If SO approaches, Maestro either wants to shadow box or he positions himself in anticipation of SO throwing a toy to be chased.

Last night, I tried just sitting on the couch when Maestro started his hiding-but-not-really routine. When I didn't approach, he tried a few more nearby "hiding" spots, crouched and poised to dash away as soon as I did my part and pursued him. Finally, when he realized I wasn't chasing, he decided to modify the rules and began sprinting at me to bop me with a paw before running off. Then he would find another starting spot, make another dash at me and another bop. A few times he popped up like a jack-in-the-box, head briefly springing up over the couch's arm rest ("Surprise!"), before dropping back to the floor to run off to a new spot to "attack" me from. I didn't have to move an inch, and I got a free show.

Does this sound like rough-and-tumble play I should maybe avoid? I'm not sure. He seems dead serious about attacking during the position-crouch-sprint part, but the actual attack part is adorably gentle. He knows he's not supposed to nip, so I get bopped by those little white socks or else he makes pretend bites (biting the air right next to my arm without actually touching me). I always feel absurdly flattered when he does this. It's like he's saying, "Playing with you is worth the effort of restraining myself."

Many a day this kitty has given me a much needed self-esteem boost. When I see him happily bounding all over the apartment, when he mews for my attention, when he purrs himself to sleep as I give him gentle skritches...I think, "This cat likes me. So at least I'm doing *something* right in my life."

clean

QuoteDoes the six-months suggestion have to do with Maestro still being young and impressionable?

yes,  he is young and you may be changing the rules and confusing him.

When he gets in his hunting mood, perhaps a feather on a string.

When I was training bird dogs (or when my grandfather was training ME to train bird dogs), we would get them to point by getting a cane pole (fishing pole) and tieing a bobber covered with feathers from quail. When  the puppy saw it they wanted to chase it.  We would let it down and when they got close we would swing it around.  Finally they got the idea that they would have to sneak up on it and point.

I suggest a similar game.  tie a ball of string  or a toy mouse with about four feet length of string and let him stalk the critter.

You could play his game by his rules.  Switch roles and stalk him!  But make sure it does not get rough or you will undo what you have been training to do (be gentle with you).  That is the biggest issue. You want to be the lover and protector. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

little bongo

[sorry--had a longish post that belonged in the mental health thread.]

clean

It is drop day!  I gave an exam yesterday.  Worked all morning to get it graded, and now I am fielding the class questions.  I NEED kitty stories today!

(I went through Dogshaming.com yesterday while giving the exam, so I m caught up on dog stories!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

the_geneticist

I have a kitty story for you!

We have a compost pile in the yard.  It normally has a plastic mesh sort of fence around it, but I took it off to turn the pile.  We compost "all the things" including forgotten leftovers.  I was kind of lazy about covering up the last batch of leftovers.

Today, I caught Lady Jane eating a chunk of stale meatloaf from the compost.  Old, stale, covered in dirt, dried out meatloaf.  This is the same cat who turns up her nose at the can of patĂȘ at dinner if it's the same sort that she ate for breakfast.

OneMoreYear

Given all that's going on in the world and the mountain of grading I have today, I'm celebrating the little things:

Today, I was giving Ninja a treat and Ricochet, who generally thinks treats are poison, came over to see what was happening. Not only did she actually eat the treat I gave her (took about a minute with lots of sniffing and licking first), she rubbed up against me requesting another one! And she ate it!

And last night, Ricochet, for the first time ever, laid down next to my legs and snoozed. 

mamselle

Awww.....she's getting closer.

Soon she'll be tripping you up as she waltzes between your ankles at every turn.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: mamselle on November 05, 2020, 03:16:07 PM
Awww.....she's getting closer.

Soon she'll be tripping you up as she waltzes between your ankles at every turn.

M.

She already does the tripping part because she is so frickin' fast and zooms through the house.  She does not waltz between our ankles though.  That might take another 5 years.

statsgeek

Our little boys are having a blast "helping" me with PT exercises on the floor 2x day. 

FishProf

Today on Cat TV - Belligerent Squirrel!

Enjoy the adventures of a fat, belligerent squirrel as he sits inches from the glass partition, stuffing his face and never breaking eye contact, the little bastard.

Rated K-13 (will induce rage in Kitties in 13...12...11....)
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

SO is working on fixing the 'big' couch (involves C clamps), so we moved the loveseat into the main room. The cats are puzzled. Now, all four of us are smooshed on a tiny couch. Oof!

OneMoreYear

Yesterday, we had gorgeous weather, and we spend most of the afternoon outside on the deck.  SO manned the grill and finished reading a book. I graded and gorged myself on fresh-grilled, buttery flat bread.  Ninja romped in our small backyard for hours, and protested mightily when we brought her inside as the sun set (I assume she was saying "but I can see in the dark!").   Last night, she was sacked from all the fun. Today, she is still tuckered out and twitching in her sleep.

Larimar

Quote from: OneMoreYear on November 09, 2020, 07:23:11 AM
Yesterday, we had gorgeous weather, and we spend most of the afternoon outside on the deck.  SO manned the grill and finished reading a book. I graded and gorged myself on fresh-grilled, buttery flat bread.  Ninja romped in our small backyard for hours, and protested mightily when we brought her inside as the sun set (I assume she was saying "but I can see in the dark!").   Last night, she was sacked from all the fun. Today, she is still tuckered out and twitching in her sleep.

That sounds like a lovely day for all! Nice to hear about it.