News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

Quote from: smallcleanrat on November 17, 2020, 01:02:09 PM
OneMoreYear, your post about the right cats finding the right people gave me such warm fuzzies. Wanted to write a heartfelt response, but the fuzzies in my brain are an obstacle at moment.

Really feeling unwell this past week; Maestro's been going above and beyond his companion cat duties. Spending a lot of time in bed feeling wretched; Maestro has been foregoing his usual routines to cuddle up with me (delaying his breakfast; skipping his morning zoomies; once even turning down an afternoon snack to stay by my side). I'm overwhelmed with gratitude for this sweet furry feline. It's like he's telling me "The kibble can wait. Right now, I just want to be here for you." If that's not a cat's version of saying, "I love you." I don't know what is.

Awww, what a sweet kitty! He knows that you need love and support.

evil_physics_witchcraft

OneMoreYear, your post about the right cats finding the right people gave me such warm fuzzies. Wanted to write a heartfelt response, but the fuzzies in my brain are an obstacle at moment.

Really feeling unwell this past week; Maestro's been going above and beyond his companion cat duties. Spending a lot of time in bed feeling wretched; Maestro has been foregoing his usual routines to cuddle up with me (delaying his breakfast; skipping his morning zoomies; once even turning down an afternoon snack to stay by my side). I'm overwhelmed with gratitude for this sweet furry feline. It's like he's telling me "The kibble can wait. Right now, I just want to be here for you." If that's not a cat's version of saying, "I love you." I don't know what is.

You are his human and he is your cat. :)

OneMoreYear

Sorry to hear you are feeling so awful, smallcleanrat. I do think that choosing to cuddle with sick human rather than obtain a tasty snack is definitely "I love you" in cat.

Larimar

Quote from: OneMoreYear on November 17, 2020, 03:23:24 PM

Sorry to hear you are feeling so awful, smallcleanrat. I do think that choosing to cuddle with sick human rather than obtain a tasty snack is definitely "I love you" in cat.

+1 - Hope you feel better soon, smallcleanrat. Bravo to Maestro for all he's doing.

FKM100

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 17, 2020, 03:21:06 PM

Oh drat! Now I've started singing that (the Jennifer Rush version, not the Celine Dion version) and I can't stop!

nebo113

The Shebah (around age 16 or so) had dental successful dental surgery but is now.....poopless.  Vet recommended human laxative powder which I am sprinkling on food, mixing in a little canned tuna, heating up a bit.  She finally ate all yesterday's dose (after remixing and reheating) and now has nibbled on this morning's.  Please poop, Shebah.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: nebo113 on November 21, 2020, 04:25:13 AM
The Shebah (around age 16 or so) had dental successful dental surgery but is now.....poopless.  Vet recommended human laxative powder which I am sprinkling on food, mixing in a little canned tuna, heating up a bit.  She finally ate all yesterday's dose (after remixing and reheating) and now has nibbled on this morning's.  Please poop, Shebah.

Poor baby, Shebah. Sending poopy thoughts.
Have you tried reading Everybody Poops to her? Or perhaps a South Park episode?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FKM100 on November 20, 2020, 04:48:59 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 17, 2020, 03:21:06 PM

Oh drat! Now I've started singing that (the Jennifer Rush version, not the Celine Dion version) and I can't stop!

Sorry! Maybe that's what spurred me to say it.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: OneMoreYear on November 21, 2020, 05:54:59 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on November 21, 2020, 04:25:13 AM

Poor baby, Shebah. Sending poopy thoughts.
Have you tried reading Everybody Poops to her? Or perhaps a South Park episode?

:D

There are several specials with the Xmas 'poo.' Hope your kitty feels better.

OneMoreYear

Tonight, Ricochet has been practicing her pre lap-sitting skills.  She has had several sessions of kneading me, but none of them led to lap sitting, as she is still not sure that lap-sitting is advisable. She kneads me by keeping her back-paws on the coffee table and kneading my leg with her front paws, as if she is saying, "I'm not sure I can commit to this, so I'm not going to have my whole body on you in case I need to run away."  Does anyone else's cat knead in this way?

I hope that the Shebah has pooped and Maestro has continued his caretaking duties.

nebo113

Some progress on poop for The Shebah.   Crossing my fingers for more.

Larimar

Two rushes to the vet here lately: the first was for Calico, who was frantically scratching and licking at herself. The vet found a single dead flea on her (she and the others had just been given their flea-preventative meds) and determined that she's allergic to flea bites. We never saw any fleas or flea evidence, but we sprayed the house and washed all the bedding, rugs, and cushions anyway. Hoo-boy was that ever fun - not! Anyway, Calico had a course of antihistamines, and antibiotics for an infection the vet found, and she is better now. She goes back for a follow-up next week.

The second vet trip was yesterday, for OrangeGuy. I actually had to take him twice. For no apparent reason he suddenly had a complete freak-out hissy-fit the other night. He yowled and hissed and growled at us and his siblings and used the kind of alley cat language not suitable for polite company, and tried to hide under the furniture. He has never done anything like this before. We calmed him down, and I took him to the clinic first thing yesterday morning. The vet examined him and didn't find anything physically wrong. She said that something may have spooked him and that adrenaline rushes in cats last a lot longer than they do in humans - up to 24 hours. That was an interesting bit of trivia I hadn't known.

I took OrangeGuy home. Then he peed on the carpet, which he had also never done before. The vet managed to schedule him back in for the afternoon, so back we went. She examined him again, and said he likely has inflammation in his bladder, and prescribed an anti-inflammatory medication. We'll have to give him that for a few more days. He does seem to be doing okay now; no more freakouts. I must say I'm really relieved that it was nothing worse for both kitties!

Larimar

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Larimar on November 22, 2020, 05:43:43 AM
Two rushes to the vet here lately: [snip]

Oh no, Larimar! Poor kitties! Hope Calico and OrangeGuy continue to improve.  A few years ago, Ninja had a total freak out like OrangeGuy and was hyperventilating.  We took her to the emergency vet who monitored her for several hours, but could not find anything actually wrong. Her breathing calmed and we took her home. Then of course Ricochet flipped out because Ninja smelled different and she did appear to recognize that Ninja was the other cat who lives with you. We had to lock Ricochet in the bathroom until Ninja felt well enough to clean herself thoroughly so she smelled like herself again.
Gentle scritches to the Larimar cats.

Larimar

Thanks, OneMoreYear. Everything's all quiet with them at the moment. Everyone's asleep in a sun patch.

In answer to your previous question, no, when the Larimar cats knead, they're all in.

Nebo113, I hope Shebah is doing better!

nebo113

Quote from: Larimar on November 22, 2020, 09:25:14 AM
Thanks, OneMoreYear. Everything's all quiet with them at the moment. Everyone's asleep in a sun patch.

In answer to your previous question, no, when the Larimar cats knead, they're all in.

Nebo113, I hope Shebah is doing better!

Who knew about feline hissy fits!  Wow!  The Shebah produced real poop sometime last night, but I am still going to talk with the vet today.