News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprout

Quote from: spork on April 06, 2021, 02:05:11 PM
Does anyone have a home remedy for a cat that's a puker? One of our two foster fails occasionally vomits right after eating wet food. These cats are grazers; we keep food in their bowls. So it's not like the cat is ravenous and eats too much too quickly. He will go back and eat again a little while after vomiting, but not vomit a second time. And what he pukes up looks like it is all food; no clumps of hair, half-chewed insects, or other foreign objects.

Oh, we have one like this.  It seems to happen if he gets a bit overexcited after eating - no playing with the boy when he's just been at the food bowl.  Other than that, no suggestions, just commiseration. And make sure you're buying cat food that won't permanently stain the carpet.

mamselle

+1 to checking with a vet.

Bowel obstructions can cause this and can be dangerous.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

+200

That was the behavior that preceded Orestes needing bowel obstruction surgery TWICE last year.  The first time he swallowed 19 hair elastics, the 2nd was the feather plug off a cat dancer toy.

It's a good thing he's cute....
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Larimar

Does anyone have a home remedy for a cat that's a puker? One of our two foster fails occasionally vomits right after eating wet food. These cats are grazers; we keep food in their bowls. So it's not like the cat is ravenous and eats too much too quickly. He will go back and eat again a little while after vomiting, but not vomit a second time. And what he pukes up looks like it is all food; no clumps of hair, half-chewed insects, or other foreign objects.

Has he always done that, or is it a new problem? If it's new, epw, mamselle, and FishProf are right; definitely see a vet.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Larimar on April 07, 2021, 01:52:05 PM

Has he always done that, or is it a new problem? If it's new, epw, mamselle, and FishProf are right; definitely see a vet.

That's a good point. Is the behavior new? Sounds like it might be.

spork

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 07, 2021, 03:45:17 PM

It's not strictly new. This is a cat that is barely a year old. He's vomited food on prior occasions. Maybe on average once a month for the last six months. Only once has the vomit contained a foreign object in addition to food he had eaten a few minutes before -- a piece of a cotton drawstring that he had chewed off and swallowed at some earlier point in time. Since then no elastics, scrunchies, pieces of cardboard, or small plastic items have gone missing that I'm aware of. His appetite and digestive habits are otherwise normal.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on April 07, 2021, 04:57:43 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 07, 2021, 03:45:17 PM

It's not strictly new. This is a cat that is barely a year old. He's vomited food on prior occasions. Maybe on average once a month for the last six months. Only once has the vomit contained a foreign object in addition to food he had eaten a few minutes before -- a piece of a cotton drawstring that he had chewed off and swallowed at some earlier point in time. Since then no elastics, scrunchies, pieces of cardboard, or small plastic items have gone missing that I'm aware of. His appetite and digestive habits are otherwise normal.

Ah, so a baby kitty. Maybe he has a food intolerance or sensitive tummy? Do you give them any kind of hairball remedy or cat grass? I'm not a vet, just throwing out ideas based on my experience with cats. I would still suggest getting a vet's opinion.

mamselle

But bowel obstructions can also be tumors, and even very young cats can get them.

The vet misdiagnosed my kitty because she thought her kidneys were just getting indurated, and it turned out, by the time she figured it out, that the tumor was to big to take out.

So, while it can also be missing compasses, bottle caps and golf balls (making light here, obviously those are all too big) it could also be an operable mass if seen to soon.

Hope it's not, but better to know.

In any cases, happy scritches to your furry one.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

OneMoreYear

The OMY cats are trying to help me with my work, but are not very adept at computers yet.
During a Friday Zoom meeting, Ricochet jumped on the table, bolted across my computer keyboard, and advanced the slide deck about 3 slides. Confusion ensued temporarily.
Today, Ninja jumped on the table and sat down on my computer keyboard before I could grab her while I was grading. When I moved her off the keyboard, I had a message that asked me if I wanted to permanently delete a file (which was the rubric I was using to grade). NO, I do not!
We are enrolling them in Computers 035: Appropriate Feline Keyboarding. Neither cat appears very motivated to read the syllabus.

Puget

Quote from: OneMoreYear on April 10, 2021, 05:34:09 PM
The OMY cats are trying to help me with my work, but are not very adept at computers yet.
During a Friday Zoom meeting, Ricochet jumped on the table, bolted across my computer keyboard, and advanced the slide deck about 3 slides. Confusion ensued temporarily.
Today, Ninja jumped on the table and sat down on my computer keyboard before I could grab her while I was grading. When I moved her off the keyboard, I had a message that asked me if I wanted to permanently delete a file (which was the rubric I was using to grade). NO, I do not!
We are enrolling them in Computers 035: Appropriate Feline Keyboarding. Neither cat appears very motivated to read the syllabus.

You are mistaken-- they are actually enrolled in Human Psychology 300: Reactions to Feline Technology Interruptions. So far, their data collection is going well, but they will need more for their final reports so watch out.

Panther Boy and Little Calico supervised me from the catio all day while I built the human patio. They are exhausted from their supervisory duties and are now fast asleep in the living room.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

apl68

Heard some caterwauling coming from somewhere in the neighborhood last night.  This morning the cats I saw on my walk seemed to be quite calm.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

the_geneticist

I think they are registered for a version taught by cats.  Lessons include how to best interrupt meetings, debating whether it's more adorable to sniff the camera or smack your human in the face with your tail, and effective keyboard stomping.  Bonus tutoring in which objects to knock onto the floor

apl68

Saw a cat this morning that was dark with one white back leg.  It looked like it was wearing a little cast.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

wareagle

Is this offered online?  Because Catso could stand to take it as well.  I will read the syllabus out loud to him if you think that might be helpful.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum