RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Quote from: notmycircus on August 15, 2020, 02:43:04 PM
Condolences, ab_grp.

Thank you! This is a sad thread, but it is so nice to be able to memorialize those we love, admire, and will miss in the world.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Bud

writingprof

Quote from: Bud on September 19, 2020, 01:02:12 AM
Quote from: clean on September 18, 2020, 04:52:49 PM
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

What an amazing woman! What an icon! A life well lived.

She had the tenacity of Satan himself.  Even I admired her.

mouseman

My father-in-law, the Catwoman's father. It was at the end of July.

It was pretty sudden - he was feeling a bit ill, and when the doctor visited he passed out. He was taken to the hospital and they discovered that he had a massive internal infection which had been almost symptomless. He passed away without regaining conscience.

Up to that point, he had been pretty healthy - they lived on the third floor, no elevator, and he had just started going up and down again (after not doing so for a couple of months due to the quarantine)

He was 87 years old, and had survived his family fleeing the Nazis and being refugees, then losing his father, a high ranking officer during the war, to Stalin's purges.

He lost two sisters, one when she was young to a car accident, and the other to Soviet medicine just before the family immigrated to Israel.

An intellectual, he was never able to defend his thesis, because he was a Jew (that was the specific reason given to him - "our quita of Jews has defended). He finally gave up, and started a business with a friend churning out theses for others. If any of you has ever interviewed somebody with a PhD from the USSR from the 1980s, there is a non-negligible chance that it was written by the Catwoman's father.

He worked as a high school teacher, and as a manager at assorted jobs. He would move to a new position, be promoted until he reached the highest level that a Jew could hold, and then move on to a new position.

He was very smart, but had a total inability to learn new languages, despite having an amazing facility with Russian.

On the other hand, all he needed was a couple of hours, and he could give an engaging talk on any possible topic under the sun. He worked as a volunteer tour guide for the Jewish sites and history of Vilnius, and gave many talks to different Russian tour groups and immigrants while in Israel.

He raised two daughters as a failed chauvinist. He would ever so often make claims about women could or couldn't do, and then encouraged and supported his daughters, second wife, step daughters, and granddaughter to do exactly those things that he claimed that women couldn't do.

He had an enormous appetite for life, and, despite many hardships, was always able to find things to enjoy. Despite always having been a heavyset man, he was light on his feet, and excellent dancer, and had been a mountain climber and a high level fencer.

His first marriage was not happy for the most part, and, luckily, his daughters were able to convince him that a divorce was a good idea. He married better (for him) the second time, and was happily married for more than 20 years.

He was extremely proud of the Catwoman, of her sister, and his grandkids, but was unfortunately unable to meet his first great grandson because of the pandemic.

The Catwoman was unable to travel to Israel for either the funeral or the revealing of the headstone, but her nephew was able to connect her via FB live to both. She will hopefully be able to travel there for the first Yahrzeit. It was also good that the Mouselet was still home, so both of us were here to support her.
"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
   As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
   By a finger entwined in his hair.

Lewis Carroll

ab_grp

I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law, Mouseman.  He sounds amazing.  My deepest condolences to the three of you and your extended family.

Vkw10

My sympathies to you and your family on your loss, Mouseman.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

aside

ciao_yall

secundem_artem

Eddie Van Halen dead at 65 from cancer.  One hell of a guitar player.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

fishbrains

Quote from: secundem_artem on October 06, 2020, 01:14:08 PM
Eddie Van Halen dead at 65 from cancer.  One hell of a guitar player.

He was such an icon for those of us growing up in the late 70's - early 80's.

Fair Warning is still one of my favorite albums. And, yes, I have the actual album, thank you very much.

Getting old continues to suck.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford