RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

I add my condolences to others', e_p_w.

I also just found out about the death of dancer Marge Champion, 101, on October 21 of this year.

https://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/entertainment/2019/09/03/woman-who-served-model-disneys-snow-white-turns-100/2199361001/

https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/story/2020-10-23/marge-champion-famed-dancer-of-hollywoods-golden-age-dies-at-101

I met her briefly in 1973; her insights and energy had a pivotal effect on my work in the liturgical arts.

Her graciousness and courage in the face of several setbacks throughout her life were exemplary.

RIP--and find one of those clouds to keep dancing on, Marge.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

kaysixteen

Geoffrey Palmer, 93, the estimable British actor who played Lionel Hardcastle on 'As Time Goes By', one of the very best TV series ever made anywhere.

Parasaurolophus

My sick colleague (whose courses I took over) has died.

I didn't know her for long, nor did I know her well, but I'm very sorry she's gone.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 12, 2020, 10:26:09 AM
My sick colleague (whose courses I took over) has died.

I didn't know her for long, nor did I know her well, but I'm very sorry she's gone.

I'm sorry to hear about your colleague.  These losses are hard no matter what.  Take care.

clean

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

John la Carre of pneumonia.  A writer whose plain but elegant writing brought into being a remarkable world for those of us born in the shadow of WW 2.

Langue_doc

RIP. I enjoyed and still enjoy his novels, especially the George Smiley ones.

mamselle

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 13, 2020, 03:57:45 PM
RIP. I enjoyed and still enjoy his novels, especially the George Smiley ones.

I just watched the "Soldier, etc"  series this past summer, have read others.

Detail and settings were vivid, characters deep, even unto themselves. A dimensional world.

M.

Langue_doc

Was that the one with Alex Guinness? There's also the follow up, "Smiley's People".

mamselle

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 13, 2020, 05:10:42 PM
Was that the one with Alex Guinness? There's also the follow up, "Smiley's People".

Yes, I saw both. In fact, I saw "Smiley's People" first, then looked up the predecessor, it was so good.

M.

Langue_doc

I saw both, but only after I had read the novels. I also remember seeing "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" with Richard Buton.

Here is the obit: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/books/john-le-carre-dead.html

Incidentally, one of the clues in NYT's Monday crossword (the online edition is released Sun evening) is on John Le Carre.

One of my favorites is "Call for the Dead"--short, tight, and gripping.

mamselle

statsgeek

StatSpouse's aunt and a former colleague's wife (suddenly) this week, plus two members of my extended family in the past month.  And let me just say that Zoom funerals are barely better than nothing. 

Harlow2

So sorry, Statsgeek. Losses, especially compound ones, are difficult enough without physical presence of those who can share in the grief.