RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

secundem_artem

Quote from: clean on January 23, 2021, 08:44:53 AM
Larry King  (87)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/larry-king-breezy-interviewer-of-the-famous-and-infamous-dies-at-87/ar-BB1d1qhd?ocid=Peregrine&li=BBnb7Kz

King had a truly odd interviewing style.  "So.... Putin, Schmutin.  Waddaya think?"  He had a 60 year career so I expect that means this was successful, but I always found it confusing.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

hmaria1609

Quote from: secundem_artem on January 23, 2021, 01:47:51 PM
King had a truly odd interviewing style.  "So.... Putin, Schmutin.  Waddaya think?"  He had a 60 year career so I expect that means this was successful, but I always found it confusing.

Here's an interview with Larry King from 2015:
https://wtop.com/entertainment/2021/01/broadcast-legend-larry-king-dies-at-87-wtop-shares-obituary-in-his-own-words/
I didn't know he'd been in radio before he went to CNN. From WTOP Radio online 1/23/21

namazu

Flory Jagoda.

Quote from: American Folklife CenterThe American Folklife Center is very sad to pass on the news of the death of Flory Jagoda. Flory was a singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, teacher, and cultural activist who survived the Holocaust and kept the flame of Sephardic Jewish tradition alive in the face of adversity. She was a tradition bearer whose work was crucial to her tradition and to the United States, and she was recognized with a National Heritage Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts, among many other honors.

Flory appeared at the Library of Congress many times in the past few years. She was a favorite performer and friend to many in the American Folklife Center and the Judaica Section. All of us at the Center express our condolences to Flory's family, friends, students, and fans.

[...]

At the link, find a blog post celebrating Flory's legacy, with embedded videos of three of Flory's concerts and an oral history interview by Howard Bass.
https://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/2019/03/homegrown-plus-flory-jagoda/?loclr=fbafc

Appropriately, Flory died in the hours leading up to a special Sabbath in the Jewish faith: Shabbat Shirah, which commemorates the passage of the Israelites through the Red Sea. Shabbat Shirah means "The Sabbath of Song," because the Israelite women sang a song of praise after coming through the sea, led by the prophet Miriam with her tambourine. Flory was just such a song leader for so many in the community of Sephardic musicians.

evil_physics_witchcraft

fishbrains

Cloris Leachman.

R.I.P. Frau Blücher [sad, but still nervous, neighing of horses]
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

apl68

Captain Tom, the 100-year-old World War II veteran who did 100 laps to raise money, has now died of COVID.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

clean

Hal Holbrook  at 95.
I saw him in An Evening With Mark Twain. I had tickets to see him a second time, but the show was cancelled when his wife took a turn, and unfortunately, died. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

Quote from: clean on February 03, 2021, 12:39:31 PM
Hal Holbrook  at 95.
I saw him in An Evening With Mark Twain. I had tickets to see him a second time, but the show was cancelled when his wife took a turn, and unfortunately, died.

He played the elderly Mark Twain so convincingly for so long that I was surprised to hear that he had still been alive.  I'd supposed that he must have passed 100 years ago.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Friends just told me about meeting him in London at a small restaurant near Pall Mall several years ago.

They recognized him, but didn't let on. He just said, "How nice to see some Americans here!"

He asked them what they'd been doing, they said wandering around London.

They asked him what he'd been doing, he said going to Buckingham Palace to see the Queen.

I don't know what happened after that, but they said they did not ask for autographs or let on they knew who he was.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Quote from: apl68 on February 03, 2021, 12:35:06 PM
Captain Tom, the 100-year-old World War II veteran who did 100 laps to raise money, has now died of COVID.
The London Eye was lit in red, white, and blue in his honor:
https://secretldn.com/london-eye-captain-tom/
Posted on Secret London online (2/2/21)

apl68

Nobody here has mentioned Cicely Tyson.  She died suddenly within the last couple of weeks.  She lived to be almost as old as Miss Jane Pitman.

Her memoir was just in the process of coming out.  We have it on order for the library.

mamselle

I've had it in mind twice and didn't have a link on hand to an obit or article on her.

RIP, Cicley: You set the bar high for class, role selection, and style.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

secundem_artem

Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

jimbogumbo