RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: mamselle on December 02, 2021, 09:48:11 AM
Quote from: mamselle on November 22, 2021, 05:31:54 PM

....and sadly, the 5 individuals, part of a downtown holiday parade, who were killed by an out-of-control driver fleeing charges for domestic violence in Waukesha, WI yesterday evening.

M.

...was poster earlier...but this...

Quotethe Dancing Grannies in Waukesha, WI

https://thefederalist.com/2021/11/23/a-requiem-for-the-dancing-grannies/

And a child has now succumbed to injuries cause by the terrorist attack.

...sadly, needs to be fact-checked:

Only three, not all, of the group called The Dancing Grannies were killed--not that any are not too many. Two other victims were unrelated to the group.

A sixth victim, a child, has died since: seven more remain hospitalized, three in serious condition.

The perpetrator was never identified by police as a terrorist, but as an individual, acting alone, fleeing a court summons in response to domestic violence charges in which he had previously run over his wife and child. He was out on bail, set low to prevent jail overcrowding, from previous, similar charges.

The judge involved has expressed regret at the perpetrator's having been discharged from the jail, given his subsequent behavior.

M.

Pardon me, I posted again about the people killed in Waukesha for the benefit of those who actually care about white lives, who may have skipped over your post in a sudden attack of common sense.
Fact checking: the evidence that Brooks is an actual terrorist and not simply a poor driver, at this late date (less than two weeks) is only that he has been known to make hateful public statements on social media against whites and Jews and already has a record of vehicular homicide or attempts at doing that.
To the question 'did he act alone' it's not clear yet whether he did, or whether he is working with Britney Cooper, a professor at Princeton, or somewhere....stAY TUNED.

mamselle

Please show respect for all the departed by taking contentious discussion to some other thread.

Reported (again).

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

fishbrains

Eddie Mekka, the actor who played Carmine "The Big Ragu" Ragusa on Laverne & Shirley died a week ago. I'm not sure why this bums me out so much.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

clean

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Morden

December 6, 1989. 12 engineering students, 1 nursing student, and 1 university employee murdered because they were women. We remember. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89cole_Polytechnique_massacre

mamselle

Quote from: Morden on December 06, 2021, 08:32:49 AM
December 6, 1989. 12 engineering students, 1 nursing student, and 1 university employee murdered because they were women. We remember. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89cole_Polytechnique_massacre

RIP.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

mamselle

FishProf

I am ashamed. I read the story, and wondered when it happened.  Then I saw that it was during my senior year in High School.  How do I not remember this event? 
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Quote from: FishProf on December 07, 2021, 12:31:19 PM

I am ashamed. I read the story, and wondered when it happened.  Then I saw that it was during my senior year in High School.  How do I not remember this event?

Unless you were in Canada at the time, or taking French newspapers (as I was, online) it was not well-covered at all in the US news.

M.

kaysixteen

I was living in Vermont at the time, and it did get wide coverage on Burlington TV.

That said, what say we consider, as a country, cutting off the massive publicity that we give each of these shootings?   I realize that this would be a hard sell, both for the media and for the general public, but it 1) does no good, does not lessen the chances of future shootings nor do anything for the victims and their families, and 2) can easily inspire a) copycat shooters and b) the sort of paranoia I mentioned on the other thread.   

marshwiggle

Quote from: mamselle on December 07, 2021, 01:07:59 PM

Unless you were in Canada at the time, or taking French newspapers (as I was, online) it was not well-covered at all in the US news.

M.

Pretty much anything that doesn't have specific relevance (or perceived relevance) to the US gets little to no coverage in US news. For instance, in the Olympics, if there's an event where the US isn't in the finals, but there's a record, either Olympic or world, which is likely to be set, it probably won't get covered in the US. Most other countries are more universal than that.
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

True.

-----

The body of aspiring nursing student Kathleen Moore was found near the home of her boyfriend in Florida; he has been charged in the murder.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/07/us/florida-kathleen-moore-missing-collin-knapp-arrested/index.html

For a week, it was looked upon as a missing persons case; after signs of domestic abuse were found, the search changed character.

RIP, Kathleen. By all accounts you were trying to make something of yourself; the theft of your future life is regrettable.

M.

secundem_artem

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 08, 2021, 05:11:20 AM
Quote from: mamselle on December 07, 2021, 01:07:59 PM

M.

Pretty much anything that doesn't have specific relevance (or perceived relevance) to the US gets little to no coverage in US news. For instance, in the Olympics, if there's an event where the US isn't in the finals, but there's a record, either Olympic or world, which is likely to be set, it probably won't get covered in the US. Most other countries are more universal than that.

What's that famous headline??  "Typhoon hits Bangladesh:  1 million killed, no Americans injured"

The Olympics consist of watching Americans win gold medals, and watching some gymnast from Pottsylvania fall flat on her arse.  NBC sucks.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances