Help Thread: Is anyone stranded due to the Thomas Cook failure? Need aid?

Started by mamselle, September 22, 2019, 07:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

It's been confirmed that there will be no bail-out for the Cook agency.

I know the UK will work to get people home, but I also know, from my own travel and helping with others', that things can fall through the cracks.

Not offering any particular suggestions, but someone may find it useful to describe their place and their problem, and perhaps this thread can offer a clearinghouse for someone else to PM them back, and see what they can do.

If it doesn't work, no issues...just thought it's worth a try.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

I saw the headline over the weekend.  That's horrible!  I've known the Thomas Cook name for travel guidebooks.

bacardiandlime

Unlikely to find victims here: I doubt many academics are in the Thomas Cook customer demographic.

pigou

I worry that their customer demographic is also people who pay their expenses via bank transfers, rather than credit cards.

If you paid for your travels out of a bank account, the money is gone and you're going to be at the back of the line with other creditors. If you paid for it with a credit card, you'll have the money refunded to your account within a couple days.

One of the many ways in which it can be expensive to be poor.

bacardiandlime