News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

SPAM (the edible kind) - Now in Pumpkin Spice

Started by clean, September 30, 2019, 08:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I dont remember the last time I ate spam. I think that it may have been in Boy Scouts. One of my camping buddies seemed to add it to the breakfast menu. 
My girlfriend has never heard of it.  For her I bought a very small can of it just so she could have a taste.  So far, it has not made the menu!  (I cook regularly, but her big meal is usually before she gets here, so she usually just snacks or tastes my fare. I have not had an opportunity to cook it for her yet).

However, we have reached "pumpkin spice" season, from what I hear.  (Im not an aficionado, so wouldnt know, really).  I saw online somewhere that you can get Pumpkin Spice SPAM, but that you have to order it online (either from Walmart of directly from the company, I dont recall). 

So when was the last time you had SPAM?  What is your favorite way to prepare/serve it?  Will you order the Pumpkin Spice variety?  (Have you already tried it... Dish if you have!!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

hmaria1609

In this Sunday's "Washington Post Magazine" print issue, this fun illustration titled "Pumpkin Spicezilla" appeared:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/magazine/wp/2019/01/07/feature/art-with-a-point/
The print date is 9/29/19.  Enjoy!

wareagle

Pumpkin-spice Spam should not exist.  Some things are better left un-invented.

When I was a teen, I spent a week one summer at horseback riding camp.  We had fried spam for breakfast, with eggs.  Spam sandwiches with mustard for lunch.  Spam in mac and cheese or some other camp dish for supper.  I didn't think anyone could eat that much Spam, but it was that or nothing.

I have sampled it exactly once since then, which was well over 40 years ago.  I had forgotten its slimy texture, which is quite off-putting.  Otherwise, it tastes like salty ham - it just feels bizarre in your mouth.

Some day, I'm going to the museum in Austin.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

mamselle

Quote from: wareagle on October 02, 2019, 07:31:49 PM
Pumpkin-spice Spam should not exist.  Some things are better left un-invented.

When I was a teen, I spent a week one summer at horseback riding camp.  We had fried spam for breakfast, with eggs.  Spam sandwiches with mustard for lunch.  Spam in mac and cheese or some other camp dish for supper.  I didn't think anyone could eat that much Spam, but it was that or nothing.

I have sampled it exactly once since then, which was well over 40 years ago.  I had forgotten its slimy texture, which is quite off-putting.  Otherwise, it tastes like salty ham - it just feels bizarre in your mouth.

Some day, I'm going to the museum in Austin.

It used to be supplied in big bricks as government-issued institutional food to our Camp Fire camp when I was a counselor--along with big cans of peanut butter, cheese bricks, etc.

I think the made ham salad sandwiches out of it.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.