News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

If it's the thread I'm thinking of, it's also been added to my "ignore" pile.

At least we can talk about the weather, our research, and our cats without too much angst.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

does your computer have a feature where a thing pops out now and then to tell you how many minutes per day you spend ignoring people?

mamselle

Nope, I just count it productive time gained.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

aside

<unrelated to previous post>
Indeed, no point in engaging certain posters, really.  Nothing changes except one's blood pressure.

mahagonny

Of course, how stupid of me! That's not what a terrorist is. A terrorist is a person who's upset because the school board and teachers' union think her son needs to perform oral sex on older men. Thank you, progressives, for helping my understand what progress is.

apl68

The latest unpleasantness on the "Remembrance" thread is discouraging, but I had already been discouraged from posting on it by a certain poster's using it as an opportunity to dance on the grave of a public figure he didn't like.  It's a little ironic that that pot is now calling the kettle black, however accurate that particular observation may be.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: apl68 on December 03, 2021, 06:52:10 AM
The latest unpleasantness on the "Remembrance" thread is discouraging, but I had already been discouraged from posting on it by a certain poster's using it as an opportunity to dance on the grave of a public figure he didn't like.  It's a little ironic that that pot is now calling the kettle black, however accurate that particular observation may be.

This shit pisses me off too. Sorry, I'm feeling a little crass this morning. I have a wake and funeral to attend of a 24 year old young man. :(

Parasaurolophus

I wouldn't have said I'd danced, but hey. It pisses me off when we sanitize someone's reputation post-mortem when they're responsible for mass deaths and other crimes against humanity.

But FWIW, my recent intervention was in my moderator's capacity, at the request of a few members. Sometimes the things I do as an individual are inconsistent with the things I have to do as a mod. Them's the breaks.

I could strive for greater consistency, but not unless we rethink our free-for-all posting guidelines. I generally hold myself to a pretty high standard, but I'm only human.
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

Let the record show that Para, the most openly far-left reader of the forum, is also a moderator.

ETA: Probably why it's upheld by the moderator that it's OK for someone to deny that an obviously terrorist act, allegedly carried out by a member of a group with permanent generalized victim status (according to the left) was an of terrorism, and then declare the discussion is over.

little bongo

Quote from: mahagonny on December 03, 2021, 07:54:34 AM
Let the record show that Para, the most openly far-left reader of the forum, is also a moderator.

ETA: Probably why it's upheld by the moderator that it's OK for someone to deny that an obviously terrorist act, allegedly carried out by a member of a group with permanent generalized victim status (according to the left) was an of terrorism, and then declare the discussion is over.

The thread. The thread is over. The discussion doesn't have to be--put it in a different thread, or create a new one. Tu connais la musique.

mahagonny

I can't start a thread like 'what is a terrorist' because spork and mamselle will firebomb it. They know that. So, not to be contrary, but I fear you are incorrect. The discussion was intentionally effectively stopped.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mahagonny on December 03, 2021, 10:08:22 AM
I can't start a thread like 'what is a terrorist' because spork and mamselle will firebomb it. They know that. So, not to be contrary, but I fear you are incorrect. The discussion was intentionally effectively stopped.

When I was in high school, Gwynne Dyer came to give a talk on what terrorism is. I schooled him in the Q&A, and shortly after he wrote a column making the points I'd made against him (without attribution, of course). So there.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 03, 2021, 11:04:16 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on December 03, 2021, 10:08:22 AM

When I was in high school, Gwynne Dyer came to give a talk on what terrorism is. I schooled him in the Q&A, and shortly after he wrote a column making the points I'd made against him (without attribution, of course). So there.

I read some articles by Gwynne Dyer years ago.  I didn't realize that he was still active.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

I think the original (CHE-based) RIP thread had a specific delineation for that thread, having to do with using it only for posting information, not opinions, and for not continuing broad conversations on it, as I recall.

It was a bit like rules for the HOF thread: no analysis, just the post being HOF'd.

The CHE having taken down all vestiges of the old forum, I can't confirm that, but it runs in my mind that something similar might need to be worked out; maybe a pinned entry can be located at the head of the thread, or something could be included in the Fora House Rules.

It just seems hugely disrespectful to start nattering on about ones pet peeves on a thread meant to maintain more dignity around the end of a life.

And there are a number of threads where those pet peeves get aired on a daily, even hourly, even minute-by-minute basis: Take them there, if you really need to air them yet again.

I will say that I take seeing my name linked with Spork's as a compliment.

Thanks.

M.