News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on December 03, 2021, 02:43:48 PM
I think the original (CHE-based) RIP thread had a specific delineation for that thread, having to do with using it only for posting information, not opinions, and for not continuing broad conversations on it, as I recall.

It was a bit like rules for the HOF thread: no analysis, just the post being HOF'd.

The CHE having taken down all vestiges of the old forum, I can't confirm that, but it runs in my mind that something similar might need to be worked out; maybe a pinned entry can be located at the head of the thread, or something could be included in the Fora House Rules.

It just seems hugely disrespectful to start nattering on about ones pet peeves on a thread meant to maintain more dignity around the end of a life.

M.

It's evident that we need such rules in place to make the memorial thread work.  Otherwise the temptation is just too great for some posters.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mahagonny

Hah...you're just another couple of crackers who need taking out.

mahagonny

Quote from: mamselle on December 03, 2021, 02:43:48 PM
I think the original (CHE-based) RIP thread had a specific delineation for that thread, having to do with using it only for posting information, not opinions, and for not continuing broad conversations on it, as I recall.

It was a bit like rules for the HOF thread: no analysis, just the post being HOF'd.

The CHE having taken down all vestiges of the old forum, I can't confirm that, but it runs in my mind that something similar might need to be worked out; maybe a pinned entry can be located at the head of the thread, or something could be included in the Fora House Rules.

It just seems hugely disrespectful to start nattering on about ones pet peeves on a thread meant to maintain more dignity around the end of a life.

I will say that I take seeing my name linked with Spork's as a compliment.

Thanks.

M.

Well, OK...I'm sure Spork is a great guy. I'm just saying it's kind of weird to say 'take this discussion elsewhere, it doesn't belong here' and then also bombard someone's thread with static to derail it.

QuoteAnd there are a number of threads where those pet peeves get aired on a daily, even hourly, even minute-by-minute basis: Take them there, if you really need to air them yet again.

There are I suspect certain sentiments that you wish didn't get heard even once on your forum, because they differ from your politics. Therefore the 'pet peeve' mantra.

FishProf

Do we need an asides to the asides thread?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

downer

Quote from: FishProf on December 04, 2021, 07:00:00 AM

There was one on the old fora, for the equivalent thread. Indeed, there was even a third level one that was active for a bit.

I suspect it does nothing more than fuel the wankery.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate spot, but ....

I went to the funeral of my student and I feel a lot emptier now. It just broke me to see my other former students in tears.

Morden

I'm so sorry evil_physics_witchcraft.

mahagonny

Well, how about a place in real life where you can talk about the forum and what it conveys to you about the state of academic life, trends and productivity.

mahagonny

No, the mother grows a handlebar moustache.

namazu

Thank you, mamselle and dismalist, for encouraging moving and moving (respectively) the UBI discussion off the Colleges in Dire Financial Straits thread to its own thread!

mamselle

Bien sur, de rien.

Dismalist did all the heavy lifting with the quote function!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

Quote from: mamselle on December 05, 2021, 04:02:52 PM
Bien sur, de rien.

Dismalist did all the heavy lifting with the quote function!

M.

Quote function? On two screens plus the copy function! This afternoon tea wine went down really slowly.

Cheers, people.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

aside

Quote from: downer on December 04, 2021, 07:04:14 AM

There was one on the old fora, for the equivalent thread. Indeed, there was even a third level one that was active for a bit.

I suspect it does nothing more than fuel the wankery.

I agree.  We even had arguments about whether the third level was necessary, since the first level could be used to comment on the second level.  I'm content with just the one.  Discussion may break out here, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Depends.

RatGuy

Quote from: Anselm on December 07, 2021, 11:18:44 AM
I have a brother who was at U of Alabama in the same building where Amy Bishop was shooting people.  He also was at Ohio State Univ. when they had a guy attacking people with a knife or machete and then was killed by campus police.

The last time I was at OSU, some graduate students told me that there'd been a guy attacking people with a machete. Someone said, "No, he had a dinosaur bone." "Nope, pretty sure it was a machete." But none of them had more specific information so I was just assuming they were pulling my leg.

mamselle

As a long-ago alumna, when was this? (I could look it up, of course..)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.