News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 20, 2021, 09:56:59 AM
If it was in fact the Holy Grail Bunny I would argue that the admin would be as lively as a Norwegian Blue.

. . . . tired after a prolonged squawk

mahagonny

Higher Education is in no position to lecture its workforce about something they call 'inclusion.'

FishProf

Hitchens' Razor: "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: FishProf on October 28, 2021, 10:57:56 AM
Hitchens' Razor: "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

That's nice. Christopher or Peter?
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

^ Unrelated.

Not gonna derail that thread further, now it seems to be wobbling back on track.

But, nope, it's down to a guy (as in, male):

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/rust-shooting-armorer-live-ammo-1235098840/

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 28, 2021, 11:38:59 AM
Quote from: FishProf on October 28, 2021, 10:57:56 AM

That's nice. Christopher or Peter?

Christopher

mahagonny

Who cares whether Hillary is frustrated? Is she special?

FishProf

'Nuh Uh' isn't an argument.

AmLitHist

Quote from: FishProf on October 30, 2021, 06:42:23 AM
'Nuh Uh' isn't an argument.
Nuh Huh.  Is SO.

(Sorry.  Couldn't resist.)

permanent imposter

You complain that no one compares about your problem but when others bring it up, you act like it's your exclusive domain and no one else is allowed to comment. Why?

mahagonny

Anyone can comment, but that includes me.

Because they the participants invariably want to do one or more of three things:

1. Allege that reports of poor adjuncts are overstated
2. Shame adjunct faculty for accepting their positions, when they should be grateful that work is done at all for that amount of pay
3. Impress readers that they, the poster, are an adjunct but they are 'not like those other adjuncts, the ones we pretend to care about and make fun of.'

There's no point in discussing the situation as if it were problem when it is long implemented as a solution, with widespread complicity.

ETA: If you state
'the number of unarmed black men killed by police in the USA in 2019 was not 1,000, not 100, but eight' then the typical academic reaction is 'so what. That's eight that happened because of racism, proving that we need to have mostly peaceful demonstrations in which squad cars are set on fire.' If you say 'the number of homeless adjuncts is not 100,000. It is 5,000' then the reaction is 'oh. So what then. It's not a problem. It's a few idiots who don't know enough to come in out of the rain.'

mahagonny

Funny thing about the Wacky FL thread though: it's always the minority faculty (tenure track) who know what the rules are. I've been at my uni longer than most forumites. But I don't know squat about the rules for faculty. For one thing, I haven't been to, nor expected at, a meeting in five years. For another, you don't need rules to keep half your faculty from having a big mouth. All you need is people who'll sign a contract that ends in four months or less and a chair who struggles, perfunctorily, to learn their names.

RatGuy

I can't be the only one who thinks that one thread about student papers is a crock.

little bongo

Haven't had a good old-fashioned hoax thread in a while, so it's an interesting possibility. It's not my favorite kind of role-playing, but I know it has its appeal for some.

lightning

Quote from: little bongo on November 05, 2021, 12:12:36 PM
Haven't had a good old-fashioned hoax thread in a while, so it's an interesting possibility. It's not my favorite kind of role-playing, but I know it has its appeal for some.

I don't miss the numerous lascivious threads about inappropriate relationships with students, on the old CHE. I wouldn't have bothered to click on the only one I have seen on the new fora, but the OP's double-barreled question got me to click.