Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Quote from: lightning on November 05, 2021, 09:52:31 PM
Quote from: little bongo on November 05, 2021, 12:12:36 PM
Haven't had a good old-fashioned hoax thread in a while, so it's an interesting possibility. It's not my favorite kind of role-playing, but I know it has its appeal for some.

I don't miss the numerous lascivious threads about inappropriate relationships with students, on the old CHE. I wouldn't have bothered to click on the only one I have seen on the new fora, but the OP's double-barreled question got me to click.

Someone's looking for ideas for a novel about prof/stu relationships?

mahagonny

Every time you talk, another student enrolls at Austin University.

Parasaurolophus

Fuck me, I leave for a week and come back to all this?!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 09, 2021, 11:32:02 AM
Fuck me, I leave for a week and come back to all this?!

I know. There are now three more threads that I just plain have to ignore.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

little bongo

(possibly related)

I'm not even sure it rises to the level of defending prejudice. More along the lines of, "Hi, I'm [troll], and I don't have to respect language; I'm just here to mess with you." As Led Zeppelin once noted, "the song remains the same."

mahagonny

Or as Led Zeppelin once also said 'hey little 14 year old girl (Lori Maddox) you are about to be abducted and taken on the road for a sex slave.'

[unrelated]

If you want to explain bigotry to a child today in a way that can be expected to make sense to him and comport with his power to observe everyday situations or discussion, then you have left out a few things. While it would be useful to tell a kid it's dumb and wrong to be prejudiced against red-haired people, there is more. You should also tell him one who believes that though it is well known that all 'races' of people have forcibly enslaved groups of people over the course of human history (and some still are doing it today) it would be bigoted, and wrong, to conclude that only one nation or one 'race' is eminently, inherently immoral for having done it at some point in the past.
This kind of explanation would be more vivid, accurate and complete for a young person to hear whereas we don't generally meet anyone who's biased against red hair (though it's possible) but expressions of hatred for white America have been getting pretty common.

FishProf

Damn!  Just when I think you are starting to make sense, you go and say something stupid and I have to go back to ignoring you.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

Great idea!
While I'm making the rounds at Breitbart that you can go down to Virginia. Go to the Loudon County school board meeting and tell the white parents about the ugliness and hate deep in their children's souls. You'll probably run into a 280 lb truck driver named Mort with tattoos on his face, but he won't give you any trouble. Just tell him you're a friend of mine.

little bongo

[unrelated]

That particular thread might have the most nearly-perfect ending ever. Even though there might be more to say, I kind of hope no one messes with it.

mahagonny

For a big laugh, watch Dave Chappelle's 'the racial draft.' Hilarious.

And in that spirit, you just been reassigned, friend. Keeping a loaded pistol in the home, defending pasty-faced Kyle R? Sure sounds like a right-wing bigot to me! You're the liberal who's just been mugged. Tough luck, redneck.
Breitbart! Breitbart!

hungry_ghost

I also bear grudges and stopped posting for a while because of a poster's total dickishness, but in this case it was the pot not the kettle.

jimbogumbo

Qanon is neither conservative nor liberal. It is simply a hodgepodge of all kinds of craziness.

mamselle

Now there are six threads I don't read anymore...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Just say the word, and I'll stop responding nicely for a month. You're worried about political correctness, after all. Well, I'm getting tired of self-censoring.

Or maybe I'm just tired and cranky today. Sigh.
I know it's a genus.