Iowa Ernst now questionable

SC Lindsey pushed back on Impotus on SDNY

Impotus going under in polls

Pence, McConnell now wearing masks

Pence being more public

Inklings that Impotus will pull an LBJ

Legal jeopardy at federal level if Impotus loses

Impotus sinking in polls

CONCLUSION:  Impotus will resign before the convention.  Pence will take over and pardon Impotus and everybody else.  Pence be soundly defeated in November, but will never have another financial worry since he will be well recompensed for his pardons.

INTERIM:  Impotus will go out in a blaze of rage, potentially fomenting stark civil unrest.

CAVEAT:  Pence could not pardon for state crimes, so NY would still be an issue.

THANKS TO:  A friend who's even more cynical and diabolical than I am.

mamselle

There were just a couple of articles on this lately.

Either resignation or just not running for 2020/November were mentioned.

I'll have to look for it later, have to teach in just a bit.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

We can hope, but I doubt it. Not least because when he ceases to potusify, he loses his giant Justice Department force field.

'course, if he does do it, then we also lose the entire rationale for Biden.
I know it's a genus.

mythbuster

The GOP will push for resignation if they think dumping Trump will save the Senate. Watch what happens in Kentucky folks. Moscow Mitch will find a way to save his neck.

writingprof

Quote from: nebo113 on July 01, 2020, 12:06:35 PM
Pence will . . . never have another financial worry since he will be well recompensed for his pardons.

As a former Vice President (i.e., as president of the Senate), Pence will receive a lifetime pension of well over $200,000 a year. Presumably they'll pay him to give at speech at Bob Jones from time to time. God knows there will be a book. And since he has looked like a professional lobbyist since he was thirteen years old, there will probably be some of that, as well. (Note: This doesn't take into account that American politicians regularly fall ass-backwards into, e.g., really good cattle-futures tips.)

The lesson: Pence probably doesn't need the money.

INTERIM:  Impotus will go out in a blaze of rage, potentially fomenting stark civil unrest.

What, you don't like rioting? Cancel-warriors, here's your new target.

clean

Im not convinced.
How many times was the campaign shuffled in 2016?
The Great Pumpkin does not believe in polls anyway (IF he did, he would not be Prez).  The polls are 'fake news', and his Great Followers will vote for him anyway.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

dismalist

Impotus sliding into polling abyss
Campaign reshuffling
Spending $$$ in states he won
Senate candidates in AZ doing poorly
Iowa Ernst now questionable
SC Lindsey pushed back on Impotus on SDNY
Impotus going under in polls
Pence, McConnell now wearing masks
Pence being more public
Inklings that Impotus will pull an LBJ
Legal jeopardy at federal level if Impotus loses
Impotus sinking in polls
CONCLUSION:  Impotus will resign before the convention.  Pence will take over and pardon Impotus and everybody else.  Pence be soundly defeated in November, but will never have another financial worry since he will be well recompensed for his pardons.
CAVEAT:  Pence could not pardon for state crimes, so NY would still be an issue.
THANKS TO:  A friend who's even more cynical and diabolical than I am.

Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking to me.

The latest version of reality consists of riots and defunding the police. Scares one hell of a lot of people. The newly scared, too, will vote for Trump, not Uncle Joe.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ciao_yall

He won't resign. His pride won't let him.

Remember during the campaign all the times the GOP told him he needed to step off the campaign trail, the game was over, because voters won't tolerate grabbing, paying off mistresses, not showing one's taxes...

He did it his way the first time and it worked. Why change?

Sun_Worshiper

I'd love it, but seems almost unfathomable.  Trump does look likely to lose at the moment, but that could change and there is some reason to expect his numbers to revert to the mean (which is still not great for him).

mahagonny

One thing I still haven't figured out about him. Does he, did he ever believe he could be good for the USA? He might have. Has to know he is seen as vain, pompous, spiteful, etc. but none of that means he couldn't also believe he is good for the USA.

kaysixteen

Hmmm... I don't want him to resign or even just decide against running, as he is the worst possible candidate the GOP could put forth, and there would be an outside chance that Pres. Pence could get reelected.

downer

DT seems increasingly divorced from reality. He is surrounded by advisors who kowtow to his ego.

The only chance that he will resign is if Sean Hannity recommends he resign.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Caracal

It hard to understand people who actually want this kind of power. Not just Trump, who is terrible, but anybody. It just doesn't translate to the way most of us live our lives. Like suppose I had a term limit for teaching my classes and effectively couldn't be removed and there's this decision on my renewal in a year. In this scenario I'm independently wealthy, so the money isn't an issue. Maybe my teaching is controversial, but some people like me. However, as my term starts coming to an end, increasingly nothing seems to go well. The students hate me more and more, everyone says I've lost touch, there's increasing criticism, noises that I won't be renewed etc etc. I probably would just quit, because who needs this.

Maybe college professor is a bad example because nobody is paying that much attention, but lots of people basically do this all the time in other sorts of high profile jobs. High level athletic coaches are a good example. When they hit the point where the whole thing seems to be falling apart, they often just quit. Even at local levels things often work like this. When these stories come out about some school board official or local mayor who writes some appalling racist thing on facebook, the person often resigns. Whatever feelings of importance or satisfaction you get from being the mayor of a 10k person town, probably go away real quickly when everyone thinks you're a racist.

Politicians at higher levels  obviously just don't think this way and the higher you go the less likely people are to quit it seems like.

spork

He won't resign. Resignation is too injurious to his fragile psyche. He will just go through the motions of campaigning so that his ego is assuaged by cheering MAGA-wearing idiots at a few rallies. Then he will say "I did a tremendous job" but blame everyone else for an election loss.

My wife and I just finished watching the four-part series Trump: An American Dream on Netflix. I highly recommend it. During one early scene, I said to my wife, "Look at his facial expressions and his body language. No one else in the room matters but him. He's a sociopath." Then literally a few minutes later someone in the documentary said "He's a sociopath."

Lindsey Graham is a spineless self-serving Quisling.

Mitch McConnell won't do a damn thing against Trump as long as his wife is Trump's Secretary of Transportation.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mahagonny

I could see Trump getting re elected pretty easily in the present environment, and with the help of minorities. If someone says for example 'your school ought to be able to change your child's gender without telling you' and Joe Biden fails to say 'sorry...that's crazy' then he's finished. All Trump would have to say at that point is 'you may not love me, but at least I'm not batshit crazy.'