News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Why Impotus will resign

Started by nebo113, July 01, 2020, 12:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

Mahoganny is not wrong.  The Demos have a decided ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Social issues are essentially the only potential winning point Trump has, if the Demos decide to give into the secular fringe of their party, so convinced of their inevitable victory.  Like it or not, take the hypothetical example mahoganny cites-- most Americans would agree that such behavior is not what public schools should espouse.  Like it or not.  Whether people from Cambridge and Berkeley like that.  Maybe that will change, one day, but one  day is not Nov 3, 2020.  There are other issues that could be cited, of course, and Biden, no lefty extremist, will have to make sure he takes the responsible position on them, or else we could be stuck with four more  years of the Drumpfist abyss.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mahagonny on July 02, 2020, 10:18:34 AM
If someone says for example 'your school ought to be able to change your child's gender without telling you'

...what does that even mean? I can't make sense of it. What are you talking about?
I know it's a genus.

nescafe

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 02, 2020, 12:42:58 PM
If someone says for example 'your school ought to be able to change your child's gender without telling you'

...what does that even mean? I can't make sense of it. What are you talking about?

It's one of those things that doesn't have to make sense, as long as it makes the speaker feel some kind of way. In this instance, I think that way is "aggrieved."

writingprof

Ha, ha, ha, the familiar sequence. Today: "The thing you fear doesn't exist." Tomorrow: "It exists, and you're fired for opposing it."

mahagonny

Quote from: nescafe on July 02, 2020, 12:46:33 PM

It's one of those things that doesn't have to make sense, as long as it makes the speaker feel some kind of way. In this instance, I think that way is "aggrieved."

You would do well to stop trying to escalate or create tension on the thread. I was merely pointing out that voters are not ready to endorse 'gender dysphoria awareness' initiatives in public grade school, and most especially not sneaky ones. And if the democrats fail to grasp this, they will lose. It's fun to speculate. That's all we're doing.

Myword

You really think Trump will resign?  Of course not. Its your wishful thinking. The polls do not matter now, wait until November. Biden is wasting time.

At the risk of being unpopular, I hate to say but I think he will win a second term.
His supporters probably don't care about the corruption, lies, impeachment and malfeasance. Everyone misunderstands and underestimates them, especially liberals.

I wish Pelosi was running for it.

mamselle

+1 for Pelosi.

I said somewhere last fall that my dream ticket would be Pelosi/Warren.

I still think so.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

writingprof

Quote from: mamselle on July 02, 2020, 04:05:53 PM
+1 for Pelosi.

I said somewhere last fall that my dream ticket would be Pelosi/Warren.

I still think so.

M.

The horror.

mahagonny

Quote from: mahagonny on July 02, 2020, 02:37:26 PM
Quote from: nescafe on July 02, 2020, 12:46:33 PM

You would do well to stop trying to escalate or create tension on the thread. I was merely pointing out that voters are not ready to endorse 'gender dysphoria awareness' initiatives in public grade school, and most especially not sneaky ones. And if the democrats fail to grasp this, they will lose. It's fun to speculate. That's all we're doing.

What I mean is, we are probably on the same team. I want Joe to win, but I think he needs to do it as plain old Joe, not by updating himself.

nebo113

Interesting discussion.  What if Impotus does finally think he will lose and fears all the legal issues that he would face in Jan. 2020 and beyond?  Would he resign in order to be pardoned by Pence?

mahagonny

Quote from: nebo113 on July 03, 2020, 04:51:58 AM
Interesting discussion.  What if Impotus does finally think he will lose and fears all the legal issues that he would face in Jan. 2020 and beyond?  Would he resign in order to be pardoned by Pence?

Or how about if he thinks he will win, and would have four more years, then could resign at the last minute and get the pardon?
I don't see Trump shrinking from the challenge of winning another term. Speaking is his forte, such as it is. He revels in it, he fills up the stage and the screen well and effectively and he gains momentum the longer he goes. It's an endorphin or dopamine thing.

Economizer

The Democatic party is in disarray.  The major issue now is the Caronavirus curing and  the personal physical and economic recoveries of U.S. citizens. There have been few attempts to better the situations from national democratic party leaders. A presidential candidate for the party may yet emerge from a governorship that shows good management skills and innovative leadership in this crisis. However, he or she would have to build a team that would convince the general public that it could handle the ongoing international and domestic issues in, about, and beyond our borders, pronto.

For now, Mr Trump's opposition seems to be attacking him and his administration with SCUTTLEBUTT.
Actions and quick response will not result. Information must be substantially verified. To react otherwise would be foolhardy for any administration, in any country. If the President were to resign, I can think of only one reason, and that would be dismay at progress in defeating "the Chinese Flu".  This guy ain't going to do that though. If any of the Democrats have direct knowledge of better ways to tackle our daunting disease problem they better risk stepping forward with it. The concern is a heck of lot BIGGER  than politics!

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

quasihumanist

Quote from: Economizer on July 03, 2020, 08:31:48 PM
If any of the Democrats have direct knowledge of better ways to tackle our daunting disease problem they better risk stepping forward with it. The concern is a heck of lot BIGGER  than politics!

Here's the thing about current politics.

None of the possible solutions to our problems - any of the problems - are actually acceptable to voters.

The majority of Americans believe that some fantasy perfect solution is possible, and anyone who dares deflate their bubble promptly loses.

People will vote for the guy who promises to square the circle, not the guy who points out circle-squaring isn't possible.

Economizer

Quote from: quasihumanist on July 03, 2020, 09:09:35 PM
Quote from: Economizer on July 03, 2020, 08:31:48 PM
If any of the Democrats have direct knowledge of better ways to tackle our daunting disease problem they better risk stepping forward with it. The concern is a heck of lot BIGGER  than politics!

Here's the thing about current politics.

None of the possible solutions to our problems - any of the problems - are actually acceptable to voters.

The majority of Americans believe that some fantasy perfect solution is possible, and anyone who dares deflate their bubble promptly loses.

People will vote for the guy who promises to square the circle, not the guy who points out circle-squaring isn't possible.

That is pretty much why I wrote " risk steppng forward...".
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

downer

To deal with a pandemic, you need government and health care infrastructure. You need to be able to provide care for the ill, and quarantine those at risk. We have seen that work well in many European nations.

The current administration has been very active for the last 3.5 years dismantling government infrastructure and undermining Obamacare, which had done something to expand health care coverage. The US health care system has been a mess for decades, expensive, inefficient, and anarchical. It had long been clear that the US was very vulnerable to a pandemic. Now we see that many nations are on the road to recovery while the US is floundering.

It is likely that a competent national leadership could have made some difference this year despite the major structural flaws in the system. The recovery of NY state gives an example of what difference moderately competent leadership could achieve.

I never understand claims that some things are more important than politics. Politics is about the policies that are for the social good. In most cases, they are about preventing death, discrimination, and enabling people to lead good lives.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis