Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

'Whites Can Be Black if They Wish' says Lecturers' Union

Started by mahagonny, July 15, 2020, 11:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 20, 2020, 09:41:57 PM
Quote from: financeguy on July 20, 2020, 04:54:08 PM
Caracal, I'm not sure I agree with the degree of emphasis you place on race and slavery. Thomas Sowell has noted that people have enslaved one another since before we were able to read and write as a species. The term in English comes from the Slavic origin, long predating the involvement of Americans in the African trade. There are many areas of the world right now in which you can still see the existence of slavery, without even including sweat shops which might also be included in a modern definition.

This is one of the other "naturals" I'll put in the operating system of the human being. People have an innate desire to control one another and a willingness and capacity to do so with violence, exacerbated by the desire to do so for profit. This does not make it a positive, but it does mean the absence of this activity in a geographic region is what needs an explanation, not its presence. If we looked at Slavery historically in this way, including the trade in the Muslim world in hundreds of years before the existence of the United States as a country, we'd have to see it as a common yet undesirable historical feature of many people, not a historical outlier confined to whites. I've actually heard whites referred to as "inventors" of slavery, which goes to show the absolute lack of factual context many come to the issue with.

Caracal is talking about race-based slavery, which is of recent origin.

How about abolition of slavery? I'm not a historian, but it appears from what I've been able to read that Caucasian dominated nations were closer to the beginning of that timeline.
And something I honestly don't get: what is the horror if someone says he is proud that he is white? I don't need to say it, particularly, although many of my heroes are white, but many are black too, and always race might be an interesting part of the story and why they're admired, but often only peripherally or not at all. Obviously "White Pride' has been associated with Aryan Nation, et al, weird, anti-social people with scary plans. But normally guilt by association is considered a sign of ignorance. Except here. I can say, however, that I am proud to be part of a 'Rainbow Coalition' which includes all colors. Weird.

QuoteQuote from: ergative on Today at 07:40:36 AM
I feel like these conversations are going in circles.

That seems a generous interpretation.

White people are being asked to change and the burden belongs with those making the demand to show why.