News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What Do You Fix?

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 16, 2020, 10:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

I have successfully fixed two drawers that were falling apart. The particle board frames had split, so they could no longer hold the bottom of the drawer in its slats. In one case I took some old brackets and bracketed the frame back together. For another, I bought a drawer-fixer hardware kit and strung some tape between two brackets on the front and back of the drawer. My screwdriver work is nothing to brag about, but the drawers will now hold underwear again, and I'm very pleased.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Isn't it a great feeling to fix something and then be able to use it again?

I have a list of things to fix:

1. toaster oven (thermal fuse?).
2. humidifier (need to rewire it).
3. space heater (thermal fuse?).
4. replace flapper in downstairs toilet.
5. replace washers/gaskets in upstairs shower handles.
6. patch hole in garage frame.
7. paint everything!

FishProf

I spent an hour at Home Depot scouring the shelves for a suitable piece to properly (un)level my steam radiator that was gurgling and burbling in a most undesirable fashion.  Snake eyes.

But I found the necessary pieces to Rube Goldberg a better solution than I had envisioned before the shopping trip.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on February 03, 2022, 07:49:45 AM
I spent an hour at Home Depot scouring the shelves for a suitable piece to properly (un)level my steam radiator that was gurgling and burbling in a most undesirable fashion.  Snake eyes.

But I found the necessary pieces to Rube Goldberg a better solution than I had envisioned before the shopping trip.

How'd you do it?

FishProf

I was looking for a metal plate 8x4x1/3in, and found nothing.

But, when I helped my parents move last summer, I took an Aluminum name plate my father had made (8x3x1/4), put 3 washers under two legs of the Radiator, and voila, gurgling solved.

The Home Depot trip was useful for 2 reasons, I was able to better plan my bathroom and kitchen remodels, and i got closer to my 10k steps because I walked up and down every single aisle.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on February 03, 2022, 08:08:36 AM
I was looking for a metal plate 8x4x1/3in, and found nothing.

But, when I helped my parents move last summer, I took an Aluminum name plate my father had made (8x3x1/4), put 3 washers under two legs of the Radiator, and voila, gurgling solved.

The Home Depot trip was useful for 2 reasons, I was able to better plan my bathroom and kitchen remodels, and i got closer to my 10k steps because I walked up and down every single aisle.

That is a lot of steps. I wonder how close to a mile that is...

FishProf

0.8-0.9 miles according to my fitbit.

clean

On My fitbit, 1 mile is about 2000 steps (or was it 2300?)

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on February 04, 2022, 11:55:04 AM
On My fitbit, 1 mile is about 2000 steps (or was it 2300?)

Doesn't it depend on the size of your step? I don't have a fitbit, but I'd assume that you calibrate it somehow to the size of your step?

FishProf

There are charts available that tell you how many steps per mile based on your height and your pace.  But roughly, 2k steps ~ 1 mi.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I just dealt with a big old pain in the ass problem on my ancient laptop. Somehow, the Task Manager option was removed and I had to edit the Registry to fix it. Easy fix, but a pain in the butt figuring out the problem. :P

mamselle

It must be the day for computer fixing....

I just "fixed" (again) something evil Google* did again that I already "fixed" several months ago.

Somehow, despite the fact that I TURNED OFF THE AUTO-SAVE ON MY PHOTOS, Google Photos added them all back in and gludged up my storage (of course, so they could pester me to charge me more money to upgrade).

But I'm the human. I won.

I've now removed Google Photos entirely from my system.

My phone camera doesn't need it.

My laptop doesn't need it.

Whenever I've used a separate camera, it doesn't need it.

So--Take that, Google!!!!

M.

* Turns out when Alphabet took them over they deleted the "Don't Be Evil" line entirely from their corporate materials. (At least they're being consistent, and have some sense of...what WOULD you call that? Irony? It isn't ethics...) - M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Successfully avoided having to be in on two fixes.  The replacement refrigerator I ordered for the library's break room arrived while I was out on Friday.  And on Monday, a few hours before I had to leave my parents' house to come home, their washer went out.  Since my brother was able to stay on for a few more days, he will have to help fetch and install a new washer.  Oddly enough, the last time we were both home I arrived just as he and Dad were completing the installation of a new kitchen stove.  Honest, I haven't been planning it like that!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Sounds like you've needed a break, glad those two went your way!

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

My 20 year old car has started running hot when idling and we think it's, hopefully, the thermostat or the radiator fan switch. SO has ventured out to procure said parts. Wish us luck.