News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What Do You Fix?

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 16, 2020, 10:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Adds a dimension to the concept of "learned helplessness"...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

QuoteI've taught my daughters that if they don't want to do something like mowing to just make the yard look really bad the first time they do it, and then the person who actually cares what the yard looks like will never let them mow again--or at least not for a long time. It's kind of like men and doing laundry.

Well, the joke would be on her!  IF she wants to mow the lawn, it will certainly look better than it NOT being mowed for another week!  I know that my neighbors will just be happy to see the yard mowed!

Long, long ago, I had a nutty, busybody neighbor that I caught one day with scissors cutting the grass runners that were on my sidewalk!  When caught, she asked if she could send her lawn person to edge my sidewalks! 
I declined !  I let the runners grow for some time until they are long enough, and hopefully with roots starting and hten I do some work in the back yard to get the weeds/ less preferred type of grass and then transplant the runners to start the good grass there. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on July 31, 2021, 01:14:33 PM
Long, long ago, I had a nutty, busybody neighbor that I caught one day with scissors cutting the grass runners that were on my sidewalk!  When caught, she asked if she could send her lawn person to edge my sidewalks! 
I declined !  I let the runners grow for some time until they are long enough, and hopefully with roots starting and hten I do some work in the back yard to get the weeds/ less preferred type of grass and then transplant the runners to start the good grass there.

That's just nuts. Some people have no boundaries.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I patched part of the driveway today (cracks and some larger gaps). It's an experiment since the driveway is totally falling apart. My plan is to replace large sections of it using concrete and wire mesh. Wish me luck.

clean

My garage door does not seem to want to go down unless I hold the button the entire time.

I dont know if there is something blocking the eyes or if the wheels are causing it to think that something has blocked it.

It is just too damn hot to be out there, and frankly my garage is so messy that I would probably have to spend an hour just moving things around to get to the wheels and the eyes to be sure.

So MAYBE I will deal with this over the Winter Break!  (it should be cooler and I am busy with classes now!)

But if anyone has any insight, that would be appreciated!

secundem_artem

Quote from: clean on August 26, 2021, 02:27:02 PM
My garage door does not seem to want to go down unless I hold the button the entire time.

I dont know if there is something blocking the eyes or if the wheels are causing it to think that something has blocked it.

It is just too damn hot to be out there, and frankly my garage is so messy that I would probably have to spend an hour just moving things around to get to the wheels and the eyes to be sure.

So MAYBE I will deal with this over the Winter Break!  (it should be cooler and I am busy with classes now!)

But if anyone has any insight, that would be appreciated!

Lubricate the tracks & rollers & see if that helps.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Parasaurolophus

I turned off the backlight on my new laptop's keyboard, so there.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

On Thursday I'll be acquiring supplies for to build a winterized cat shelter, since one of them insists on staying out until all hours, and now that there's a hatchling I can't just wait up for him.
I know it's a genus.

clean

QuoteLubricate the tracks & rollers & see if that helps.

If anyone else has a similar problem, I suggest that you check the wires to the electric eyes.  One of mine had been knocked off. That was the problem.  Or should I say, that was the $135 house call problem!!  Had I noticed it myself, I definitely COULD have fixed it myself!!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on October 18, 2021, 01:07:04 PM
QuoteLubricate the tracks & rollers & see if that helps.

If anyone else has a similar problem, I suggest that you check the wires to the electric eyes.  One of mine had been knocked off. That was the problem.  Or should I say, that was the $135 house call problem!!  Had I noticed it myself, I definitely COULD have fixed it myself!!

Glad it was resolved. For me, I plan to repair an ancient percolator. Yes, I have one and I have used it.

ergative

Absolutive's phone wouldn't turn on after it got drenched in a rainstorm. I took it apart and gave it a night in rice, and now it's all better.

Since it was a cheapo eight-dollar dumbphone it's not a huge savings, but it did save us the convenience of finding a provider of dumbphones to use to replace it. Those are becoming more and more rare these days.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We're 'fixing' the couch using small blocks to brace the frame which popped out. It should give us a few more years. I really don't want to go furniture shopping at the moment.

filologos

My beloved printer, bought ten years and several states ago, kept saying it was out of paper when it clearly was not. I learned from YouTube that it was probably a broken part that led to a gear not connecting with another gear. The same YouTube video taught me to remove the side panel, access the disconnected gear, and wedge it back into place with cardboard. And now it's printing. If the cardboard fails, I'll find a better way to force that gear into place again. I am not mechanically inclined, so I consider this a triumph.

mahagonny

The 'button' switch in the bathroom medicine cabinet. Home Depot. One of those parts that costs two dollars or so. Gets flicked thousands of times over many years, then just fails one day. An incredible cost savings. A new medicine cabinet would've run $125 or more, and then probably wouldn't even fit exactly. So the old switch has to be at least thirty years old, because it came with the house. There's something reassuring about finding a part that's exactly the same as it was many many years ago. Or there's something satisfying about finding that even though you're old, some things are not changing faster than you can keep up with.

What a genius!

FishProf

Quote from: mahagonny on January 17, 2022, 02:59:52 PM
There's something reassuring about finding a part that's exactly the same as it was many many years ago.
Praise for the GOOD ENOUGH.

This week I fixed
1) A burner on the stove that sparked every 10-15 sec, incessantly.
2) A torch lamp with a cat-chewed cors,
3) About a dozen Christmas light strings
and
4) A label maker that had eaten about 2 feet of label tape

I'm done.  I need a drink.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.