News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread

Started by ciao_yall, July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Just wrapped up Veep and Schitt's Creek. While I wait for the next Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, what are some other good series to watch?

ab_grp

Are you looking for newer series or any series recommendations? One that I think was underrated and overlooked was Galavant.  I started watching it while stretching after workouts a couple years ago and fell in love with it.  There are a bunch of good actors, fun and clever show tunes, and a pretty good story line.  It only lasted two seasons, unfortunately. 

We have been making our way through a number of series: The Wire, Breaking Bad, Firefly, Better off Ted, Babylon 5, Action, Arrested Development.  Now we are alternating between 24 and Battlestar Galactica (reboot).  If you would like any information or recommendations about any of the above, let me know.  One or both of us had seen all of these series previously.  We have a couple more on the agenda, probably ones you'd be familiar with and that at least one of us has seen (The Office, 30 Rock, West Wing, Psych, Once upon a Time, Lost).  We also have Killjoys, which neither of us have seen but was recommended by a friend. We try not to watch series until they're finished one way or another. Others I have really liked that were pretty dark but surprisingly good were Sons of Anarchy, The Shield, and Peaky Blinders (which I haven't finished). I also didn't finish Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt but thought that one was cute.

secundem_artem

The Man in the High Castle.  The story goes well beyond the original Philip K. Dick story but it's definitely worth a watch on Prime.

Broadchurch (I think we watched on BBC America, may also be on BritBox).  David Tennant (the 10th Doctor if you've a Whovian) and Olivia Colman are outstanding in a police drama on the Dorset coast.

The Good Place (Netflix).  An extraordinary comedy with a showrunner/writer who was able to infuse philosophy into comedy.  Ted Danson has never been better.

After Life (Netflix).  Ricky Gervais plays the most misanthropic, self-pitying bloke you have ever seen, who is contemplating suicide after the lost of his beloved wife.  Gervais specializes in playing unlikeable and he's no different here, but we still thought it worth a look.  You'll feel more sorry for him than hate him.

The IT Crowd (Netflix).  Dysfunctional computer nerds in the basement of a corporation run by an unstable, lunatic.

Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

ab_grp

Oh yes, +1 to Broadchurch, which also reminded me of Luther with Idris Elba.  Both are fairly dark detective stories.

onthefringe

+++ many to The Good Place and Better off Ted.

Bob's Burgers is light, soothing, and amusing.

I thoroughly enjoyed Orphan Black as well, and am now enjoying Fringe which I missed when it was originally out.

Can't really get into anything dark and heavy right now — Broadchurch, The Wire, and Breaking Bad are objectively well made, but I'm bouncing off them right now.

downer

If you have Amazon Prime, then you have access to AcornTV, and you can get a lot of UK shows, and also Australian ones.

Such as:
Deadwater Fell, Vera, Doc Martin, Loch Ness, London Kills, Dead Still, 800 Words.

Some of them are pretty bad, but I find them comforting nevertheless.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

ab_grp

Quote from: onthefringe on July 25, 2020, 12:43:23 PM
Can't really get into anything dark and heavy right now — Broadchurch, The Wire, and Breaking Bad are objectively well made, but I'm bouncing off them right now.

I can totally understand this and would add to that caveat.  Although I love those shows, watching Breaking Bad in binge format a couple weeks ago was almost too much for spouse (who hadn't seen it but loved it though would have liked it spread out a bit more).  It wasn't so bad for me, but I already had a fair memory of major plot points and was familiar with the pacing. 

On a side note, the way you did your italics was smart, onthefringe! I kept going back and adding more shows to my lists and had to keep previewing to make sure the sets all worked out. 

hmaria1609

I enjoyed the 5th season of Grantchester on PBS. The show is based on the "Sidney Chambers" series by James Runcie. The show isn't following the novels as closely as it did in the beginning. Also, a new vicar named Will Davenport arrived as a replacement for Sidney's departure.

Endeavour will start its 7th season on PBS next month. It's the prequel series to Morse and Lewis.  Shaun Evans plays the title character. Plus he's done work behind the camera, including directing an episode last season.

I re-watched Downton Abbey on DVD and enjoyed it. Also adaptations of Sense & Sensibility (2008) and Persuasion (2007).

Larimar

Mr. Larimar and I both love Leverage. We have the whole series on DVD. It's a caper series, kind of a modern Robin Hood meets Mission Impossible. Can't wait for the upcoming series reboot!

onthefringe

Quote from: Larimar on July 25, 2020, 03:05:03 PM
Mr. Larimar and I both love Leverage. We have the whole series on DVD. It's a caper series, kind of a modern Robin Hood meets Mission Impossible. Can't wait for the upcoming series reboot!

Yes, Leverage, Psych, and Monk all hit a sweet spot for me right now. They are all engaging, without being demanding.

Stockmann

Me and my wife have watched the first few Breaking Bad espisodes, which I'd watched before but she hadn't. It's the spirit of Greek tragedy meets modern narco-violence. So far we're liking it, in modest doses.
Other stuff we've been watching on Netflix:

-Black Mirror. Sometimes an episode has physics that is all wrong or the plot is too outlandish and so on, but my main problem with it actually is that it's too real. Most episodes are pretty well made.
-French drama La Foret - a few things I didn't like about the final episode, but otherwise excellent.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ciao_yall on July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM
Just wrapped up Veep and Schitt's Creek. While I wait for the next Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, what are some other good series to watch?

If you haven't seen The Thick of It, then do that. Then do yourself a solid and try Black Books and Fleabag.

Also, if Veep and The Thick of It were fun for you: Yes, Minister & Yes, Prime Minister.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Blocky and I watched Monk and Psych.  We're currently watching Burn Notice (an entertaining spy show).  I'm watching Chuck (another spy show).

Mr. Mer and I are watching Dark Shadows, the original sixties series on Amazon Prime.

Psst, if you highlight the words and click italicize, then the interface does the italics for you.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

RatGuy

One of my friends and colleagues was a science advisor for a number of shows, including BSG. Richard Hatch was his best friend. I don't have the heart to tell him that it's a little too intense for me.

I'm currently in the fourth season of Eureka, and I find it quite charming and entertaining. It fills the niche that Psych did for me, as others have pointed out. I'm also working my way through Brooklyn Nine-Nine, mostly because I thought The Good Place was amazing. I didn't think I'd like B99 at all, but six seasons in there are still laugh-out-loud moments.