News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread

Started by ciao_yall, July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

Quote from: ciao_yall on November 10, 2021, 09:02:23 AM
Jane The Virgin - I don't know how I tripped into it as it doesn't tick any of my boxes but it's a really good show!
Material from 1st season shows up in Snow Falling by Jane G. Villanueva (2017)!

ab_grp

We're somewhere in the middle of Seinfeld at this point.  I'm sure I had seen most, if not all, of the episodes at least once, though I started watching a couple seasons in.  I've seen some several times.  But it has been really interesting to watch them in order.  There are so, so many references that get thrown in and brought back up across episodes.  I've also been interested to see how the show evolved with casting choices and so forth.  And there are so many funny plot lines I remembered that were in different episodes than I had recalled.  It's held up pretty well for me overall.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on November 23, 2021, 11:15:23 AM
And there are so many funny plot lines I remembered that were in different episodes than I had recalled.  It's held up pretty well for me overall.

Yeah, it's weirdly disorienting.
I know it's a genus.

hmaria1609

I watched the 6th season finale of "Grantchester" on Sunday night. Whew, what a season! It opened in summer 1958 with the Grantchester gang going to a holiday camp.
Also, production for 7th season is done.

mamselle

Just found "Raffles"!

Like a prelude to Brett's "Sherlock" in reverse.

Pleasant and wacky and very knowing, as well as debonair.

Happy.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

James May oh Cook.  The conceit of the 7-part series is that it is being filmed and photographed for a new cookbook.  The banter between  May, the directors, and his "home economist" ( aka professional cook who stays in a closet until he needs her) is frequently quite funny, and there is real cooking going on ( none of it haute cuisine).  Lots of play with the fourth wall.  On Prime

ergative

Mythic Quest. Workplace comedy about a computer game company, and something about the combined affection and ribbing of nerdery with the simultaneous fully understood problems associated with gamer culture and tech companies, with the wonderful cast and hilarious dialogue, is exactly my jam. I inhaled the first season today while on the couch recovering from a cold.

Harlow2

Shetland: the new season is now up on prime. Moody and beautiful murder mystery with a great cast and scenery.

ab_grp

Quote from: Harlow2 on December 10, 2021, 10:30:08 AM
Shetland: the new season is now up on prime. Moody and beautiful murder mystery with a great cast and scenery.

I just heard about this series from a friend.  It sounds like it's worth checking out!

We wrapped up Seinfeld and started Friends, which I have also seen most episodes of but not in order.  We had also planned to pick back up with Alias, but I convinced my husband to check out an episode of Downton Abbey.  That way, in case he had no interest, we could just put it aside.  Well, he is totally into it.  There is a lot of "ooooooohing" going on with all the eavesdropping, gossip, and backstabbing.  We've only watched about 4 episodes, but I think he's hooked.  Maybe I'll watch the whole series this time instead of stopping after a few seasons.  I think the movie is included as well.

ciao_yall

Just wrapped 30 Rock and Succession. I thought there would be an Episode 10 of Succession but I guess E.9 was the final? Okay.

Now starting Call My Agent on Netflix.

hmaria1609

Quote from: ab_grp on December 30, 2021, 03:21:54 PM
We wrapped up Seinfeld and started Friends, which I have also seen most episodes of but not in order.  We had also planned to pick back up with Alias, but I convinced my husband to check out an episode of Downton Abbey.  That way, in case he had no interest, we could just put it aside.  Well, he is totally into it.  There is a lot of "ooooooohing" going on with all the eavesdropping, gossip, and backstabbing.  We've only watched about 4 episodes, but I think he's hooked.  Maybe I'll watch the whole series this time instead of stopping after a few seasons.  I think the movie is included as well.
Enjoy!  I bought and own the DVD box set of the series after its run on PBS.  The movie wasn't included so I bought that separately.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on December 30, 2021, 03:21:54 PM
Quote from: Harlow2 on December 10, 2021, 10:30:08 AM

I just heard about this series from a friend.  It sounds like it's worth checking out!

Shetland is especially fantastic for what it gets right (police not cutting corners, sensitive reatments of sexual assault, etc.).

If you like Downton, you'll also love The House of Eliott.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Yes, "House of Elliott" was my 'first' BBC/ITV series, I've never gone back since....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

I watched some of the earlier episodes of Law and Order yesterday. Good script, good acting, and so very New York.

secundem_artem

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 01, 2022, 09:12:03 AM
I watched some of the earlier episodes of Law and Order yesterday. Good script, good acting, and so very New York.

We binge watched 5 seasons of Law & Order UK.  Not sure how accurately it reflects legal issues and how crime is viewed in the UK, but there seemed to be a whole lot of speeches coming from the lawyers in the courtroom and juries appeared to be easily influenced by the defendant having had a hard life or lousy parents.  Justice in the US seems to be much more Old Testament
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances