News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Benefits of Fidgeting

Started by polly_mer, June 12, 2019, 06:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Quote from: ciao_yall on June 12, 2019, 06:29:26 AM
Lately I have been visiting training sites for social workers. The facilitators put out squeeze toys, Play-Doh, and other things to let people keep their hands busy even if they aren't taking notes.

I have a colleague for whom I keep a fidget spinner in my office because otherwise he twiddles his keys, fiddles with the lock on my door, and messes with my properly organized markers.  The colleague is brilliant; I enjoy his visits because we bounce around ideas to get creative paths forward on our research.  But it's clear that he has to be fidgeting to get the best thoughts flowing.

So, what about you, generic forumite? 

Do you need to have your fingers/hands/toes busy so you can think? 

What strategies would you advise for people who discover that need early in life and yet are told to sit quietly?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

marshwiggle

I'm not allowed to hold tickets for movies or shows, because if I do, from the cashier where I purchase them to the entrance to the venue is sufficient for me to have folded, mutilated, or spindled them.
It takes so little to be above average.

aside

Pens, pencils, paper clips, and binder clips.  I'm always fiddling with something when in my office when conversing with others.  I try not to fiddle with things in someone else's office.  In any case, I am not a flagrant fiddler, being very discreet.

In my office, I have a powerful magnet with a bunch of brightly colored paper clips on it.  It's really more artwork than functional office equipment.  I am aghast when someone removes a paperclip to fiddle with it, or worse, to actually use it.  That's tantamount to theft or vandalism (defacing a work of art).  After all, no one really means it when they say "May I borrow a paperclip?"

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: aside on June 12, 2019, 07:38:34 AM
<snip>

After all, no one really means it when they say "May I borrow a paperclip?"

True.  What they really mean is "May I have a paperclip" because they have no intention of returning it.

Perhaps you should gently deter their depredations by warning them that the paperclips are now magnetized and thus will have unknown health effects.

aside

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on June 12, 2019, 08:02:58 AM
Quote from: aside on June 12, 2019, 07:38:34 AM
<snip>

After all, no one really means it when they say "May I borrow a paperclip?"

True.  What they really mean is "May I have a paperclip" because they have no intention of returning it.

Perhaps you should gently deter their depredations by warning them that the paperclips are now magnetized and thus will have unknown health effects.

Great idea!

But now I'm wondering if I should worry.  <wanders off toward Share your hypochondria here thread ...>

wellfleet

I keep a fidget cube on my desk. It's for me.
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

ktmkwk

My husband fidgets and uses a komboloi, Greek worry beads.  He actually has a collection of different kinds for different moods.

Long time reader of the Chronicle Forums; first time poster here or there.

Juvenal

Does this count as "fidgeting"?

When I'm at the keyboard and there's music playing, as is often the case (classical), I find that I almost sub-vocally hum along with it in a coarsely semi-musical way.  Fortunately, I have no office mate, and live alone, but I can tell this would rapidly vex anyone within earshot.  Otherwise, physical fidgets?  None that come to mind.  It's been said that fidgeters burn more calories than the inert.  A glance at the mirror lends some support to this idea.
Cranky septuagenarian

InfoPri

Quote from: Juvenal on June 12, 2019, 03:16:07 PM
Does this count as "fidgeting"?

When I'm at the keyboard and there's music playing, as is often the case (classical), I find that I almost sub-vocally hum along with it in a coarsely semi-musical way.  Fortunately, I have no office mate, and live alone, but I can tell this would rapidly vex anyone within earshot.  Otherwise, physical fidgets?  None that come to mind.  It's been said that fidgeters burn more calories than the inert.  A glance at the mirror lends some support to this idea.

When I was adjuncting at Somewhere Warm CC, I shared an office with a woman who constantly (all day!) talked to herself.  Mostly it was talk-aloud of what she was doing, as in, "Okay, that's done, now what's next?  Ah, yes, prepare Worksheet 1.  Question 1, what should Question 1 be?"  And then she'd mutter the wording to Question 1.  Drove me nuts.  But humming wouldn't be so bad, especially sub-vocal humming (and especially if it's classical).  But I suppose it would depend on whether the hummer was in tune.  Juvenal, are you able to stay on key?

My hands don't fidget (although I do gesture when I speak), but one or the other of my legs often "jitters" up and down fairly quickly.  It drove my mother nuts when she was living, and now it drives My Better Half nuts.  It's just nervous energy (not that I'm nervous about anything these days), but I sure wish I could convert it into useful energy!

octoprof

I encourage all fidgeting except pen clicking which I cannot stand and might set off a migraine.

I like to have my hands moving, but don't necessarily have to have something in my hands. The movement helps me think. Sometimes I just doodle and sometimes I just wiggle my fingers around.
Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

mamselle

So, that's...hmm, 5 x 8 = 40 fingers in action at once?

Impressive.

You could play Bach on five keyboards with coverage like that!

-=-=-=-
One of my music students used to fidget a lot, and would continue playing long after I'd asked him to stop; I believe some of this was changed after a series of consults with a psychiatrist, rubber wrist bands, and some listening training.

I believe (from other sources) these things may have also all been connected, but I haven't been told anything about it directly.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.