News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

“Privilege” as cudgel in private conversation

Started by Treehugger, August 23, 2020, 04:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

writingprof

Quote from: Hegemony on August 24, 2020, 07:04:21 PM
Yes, white people have a racial advantage over black people, in our society.

I will grudgingly accept that this is the case on the whole.  But in the professional world occupied by everyone on these fora, the exact opposite is true, and we all know it.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Hegemony on August 25, 2020, 07:27:35 AM
Ah yes, black people just imagine that racism is operant in their lives, and their failure to make more progress is all because they're hoodwinked into thinking bigotry exists and affects them.

To which I say, in the words of Edna St. Vincent Millay, "It's not one damn thing after another, it's the same damn thing over and over."

The question is not whether many people belonging to any historically disadvantaged group have struggles which the government ought to address; it's whether the focus on addressing these issues should be group identity. A poor community can be easily and objectively identified by all kinds of indicators that are not based on race, sex, etc., and progress (or the lack thereof) can also be measured according to those indicators. This doesn't get the whole issue sidetracked into a debate about "systemic" discrimination, which goes down a bottomless rabbit-hole of what counts as "systemic", since the definiton is in constant flux.
It takes so little to be above average.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: writingprof on August 25, 2020, 08:19:09 AM

I will grudgingly accept that this is the case on the whole.  But in the professional world occupied by everyone on these fora, the exact opposite is true, and we all know it.

I think this is the point of Hegemony's post regarding the corn laws.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on August 25, 2020, 08:49:41 AM

I didn't get too much from the post at all other than that it was interesting history. Is the point to compare the lot of starving peasants in 19th century to urban blacks of the USA in 2020? I know there is hunger but there is also obesity and a safety net. There is also a popular culture (hip hop) where obesity, as well as other really healthy intelligent things like crime, substance abuse, gun violence and premature death are signs that you're cool. This is a culture with some serious signs of self-inflicted confusion and turmoil. I didn't get the relevance of the rest of it either. Is pretending  people rioting over a hunger problem  don't have hunger because they are being told that they do and that, not experience, is the reason they believe it analogous to people being told their families are falling apart because of father absence when they can see this for themselves, therefore someone is  being mislead?

Quote from: marshwiggle on August 25, 2020, 08:30:25 AM
Quote from: Hegemony on August 25, 2020, 07:27:35 AM
Ah yes, black people just imagine that racism is operant in their lives, and their failure to make more progress is all because they're hoodwinked into thinking bigotry exists and affects them.

To which I say, in the words of Edna St. Vincent Millay, "It's not one damn thing after another, it's the same damn thing over and over."

The question is not whether many people belonging to any historically disadvantaged group have struggles which the government ought to address; it's whether the focus on addressing these issues should be group identity. A poor community can be easily and objectively identified by all kinds of indicators that are not based on race, sex, etc., and progress (or the lack thereof) can also be measured according to those indicators. This doesn't get the whole issue sidetracked into a debate about "systemic" discrimination, which goes down a bottomless rabbit-hole of what counts as "systemic", since the definiton is in constant flux.

The point for the woke academics and other activist whites is not for the government to do something that's going to fix the problem. The point is for the government to not be doing enough yet so that their (the academics') research and publishing about systemic racism are necessary, visible, and get them the promotions they want.

but it may be I just didn't get it. Should have stayed in school longer. I'll keep trying.

apl68

Quote from: mahagonny on August 25, 2020, 10:19:03 AM

I didn't get too much from the post at all other than that it was interesting history. Is the point to compare the lot of starving peasants in 19th century to urban blacks of the USA in 2020? I know there is hunger but there is also obesity and a safety net. There is also a popular culture (hip hop) where obesity, as well as other really healthy intelligent things like crime, substance abuse, gun violence and premature death are signs that you're cool. This is a culture with some serious signs of self-inflicted confusion and turmoil. I didn't get the relevance of the rest of it either. Is pretending  people rioting over a hunger problem  don't have hunger because they are being told that they do and that, not experience, is the reason they believe it analogous to people being told their families are falling apart because of father absence when they can see this for themselves, therefore someone is  being mislead?

I think the point hegemony was trying to make was that the riots did not lead to reform to fix the underlying issues, and so a decade and a half later they occurred again.  Likewise the rioting we're seeing now will undoubtedly recur if something serious is not done about the underlying causes.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Regarding the original post, it sounds to me like an example of the sorts of small eruptions that happen in times like these when everybody is feeling wound up.  We kind of have to bear with each other when stuff like this happens.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mahagonny

Quote from: apl68 on August 25, 2020, 12:52:06 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on August 25, 2020, 10:19:03 AM

I think the point hegemony was trying to make was that the riots did not lead to reform to fix the underlying issues, and so a decade and a half later they occurred again.  Likewise the rioting we're seeing now will undoubtedly recur if something serious is not done about the underlying causes.

Thank you.

apl68

Quote from: Treehugger on August 23, 2020, 04:22:55 AM
For one thing, since March, I have learned another language (Spanish), something I probably would never have done without Covid. Ok, I don't speak Spanish fluently, but now I've read Marquez and Llosa in Spanish, can at least get the gist of what people are saying on Spanish radio and through a online exchange program have met and am conversing with English language learners in Colombia and Peru.

Your mention of conversational partner contacts on another thread reminded me of this.  Congratulations on learning Spanish!

If you're brave enough, try some Borges in the original next.  Or even Cervantes.

ciao_yall

Quote from: apl68 on August 26, 2020, 10:18:36 AM
For one thing, since March, I have learned another language (Spanish), something I probably would never have done without Covid. Ok, I don't speak Spanish fluently, but now I've read Marquez and Llosa in Spanish, can at least get the gist of what people are saying on Spanish radio and through a online exchange program have met and am conversing with English language learners in Colombia and Peru.

Your mention of conversational partner contacts on another thread reminded me of this.  Congratulations on learning Spanish!

If you're brave enough, try some Borges in the original next.  Or even Cervantes.

I just read People En Espanol.

apl68

Quote from: ciao_yall on August 26, 2020, 10:29:21 AM

I'd rather grapple with Borges....

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: apl68 on August 26, 2020, 10:42:14 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on August 26, 2020, 10:29:21 AM

I'd rather grapple with Borges....

I was just working on Donald Trump's May 2020 Economic Impact Payment letter which has English on one side and Spanish on another.  Trump is very proud to be sending us money.  What a guy.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mouseman

That is a very common logical fallacy, and is also untrue.

"X is true, and we all know it"

I have heard it so many times.

"Jews control the banks, and we all know it"

"Women are not as smart as men, and we all know it"

I could go on, but I think that my point is clear.

Making a false claim regarding a minority group, and then providing "support" by saying "we all know it" is a common logical fallacy and a device that is commonly used by bigots worldwide.

The fact that this is the level of your arguments tells me that you have no factual support for your claims.
"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
   As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
   By a finger entwined in his hair.

Lewis Carroll