News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Good morning!

ab_grp, you're up early! Glad to hear that husband's recovery is ahead of schedule.

Pangram and genius. I'm glad that I didn't have the time to complete the bee yesterday because I don't think I would have come up with falloff and galop (I think I've see the latter before).

novelas/screwup

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I missed three words yesterday:  agog, falloff, and floe.. Today I have clawed my way to genius with the pangram. 

LB:  I had overwrap-proconsul.  I found a 2fer today also. 

Ab_grp, I'm so glad to hear that your husband is recovering so well!  What a relief. 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB-1 ABM then needed a hint for falloff. LB 2fer b4ss convulses-sprawl and a zillion 3fers but no 2fer.

Hiking group today -we go about 7 miles then get ice cream.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Still not at genius and no pangram.  Same for husband.  Yesterday I think I was missing arcana, arnica.  I cannot remember if we had team QB or not! I think so.  Busy day.  Funny that so many of us had issues with falloff the other day.  That one just can't stick for me, apparently.  I was glad to remember the galop spelling, but I'm sure that will go away eventually.

And no luck again on LB! I tried! Ugh.  Maybe today.  Congrats on your different 2fers from the day before, Langue_doc and cathwen (and another yesterday)!

Thanks for the kind words for husband! I passed them along, and he appreciates it! And we did wake up early yesterday, just couldn't sleep too well.  Today I made up for it, though! It is not my preference to get up at sunrise.  But, we try to take advantage of it when it can't be avoided.

Hope you enjoyed your hike, ciao_yall! I am not a big ice cream person, but that sounds like a good reward.  It reminds me of the Appalachian Trail through hikers and their stop in PA.  I have hiked the trail there at that point but have not eaten the half gallon of ice cream (I was just doing a day hike, so that would have been a bit much!).

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning, all!

QBwH - oddly enough I got all the tricky words but ended up needing hints for easy ones. Gah. Last word was cardiac I think. LB armchaired-redoubt, armchair-redoubt.

Ended up not going out for ice cream after the hike (long story) but picked some up on the way home. The Half Gallon Challenge? OMG. With Sausalito prices that would cost about $75 so even if I thought I could eat all that ice cream I'd go broke! Glad to hear your husband is recovering well.

Anyway, happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and above genius before going on a walk this morning.

I was doing phone visits yesterday afternoon and evening, so didn't get around to working on the bee after finding the pangram and getting to genius. I might have found the remaining words as they looked familiar--found the difficult ones much earlier.

I had good intentions of going on a bird walk--one that didn't need registration--but turned off the alarm when it went off at 6 AM, as I couldn't fall asleep until after 2. I'm registered for a bird walk next weekend and for a regular walk, also next weekend  (one on Sat and the other on Sun), so I didn't have any regrets about catching up on my sleep. Did go on a walk by myself and saw the heron in its usual spot, a peregrine falcon, and a host of other birds--will post details later on the bird thread.

chariot/thumbed

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I needed hints for canard, circadian, and arcadia(n), which was in the Bee recently.  Today I have two words to go.

LB:  I had drumbeat-trochaic.  I found a 2fer today, too.

Ciao_yall, the hike must have been fun, even if you did not go out for ice cream!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Wow, congrats on all your 2fers, ciao_yall, Langue_doc, and cathwen! And on another today, cathwen! You are really on a roll, too, with the bee!

I'm glad that you still got to have some ice cream, ciao_yall, and thanks!

And I hope you enjoyed your solo bird walk, Langue_doc.

I am still toiling away at the puzzles without much payoff.  I'm finding it hard to get back in the zone again.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Getting the pangrams was easy, but getting to genius, not so.

Last words yesterday were intact and tiny.

I have the NYT solution for LB--found the second word without much effort, but then it took me ages to come up with the first one.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

My last two words yesterday were acetic and ninny.  Today I have four words to go.

LB:  I had the "official" jalapeño-outfoxed.  Like Langue_doc, I found the second word first.  Today I found a 2fer on my first try.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangrams, 3 words to go.  Yesterday we had team QB except... neither of us got the pangram! We had to get help from Shunn (which has been having weird pop ups, so I had to open it in another browser).  Argh.  Other than that, I needed help with cynic, intent, tine.

I managed to get a 2fer right before going to bed! But it was just the schmofficial one.  I also got the second word first.  And I also got one today on my first try! Congrats on your 2fers yesterday, Langue_doc and cathwen (and another today!).  I wonder if the schmofficial one was the only one.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Team QB with a friend - I think the last word was initiate. LB jalapeno-outfoxed.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

I have 186 points, so don't know if I need a slew of four-letter words, a five or six-letter word, or a combination thereof. Didn't think that the pangram was legit, but that was indeed the pangram, much to my surprise.

Last word yesterday was habit.

marking/goblet

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBABM, last word baht. LB blanketing-grom, bomber-retalking, marketing-globe.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius but no pangram, again.  Husband did get the pangram, at least.  Sounds like it will be trouble.  I have a couple words (including a potential pangram) that were not accepted.  Yesterday we each managed to get to QBABO, both with the final word habitat.  I meant to bring up attaint the other day, because I swear that used to be accepted and is not anymore?

For LB, I got the schmofficial marketing-glob.  Congrats on your 2fers, and wow... 3 for ciao_yall!! Nothing yet today.

I have another long call this afternoon, so we'll see what I can get done around that.

Happy solving!