News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

Wow, QB already today, Langue_doc? Congrats! And for yesterday, too! I have not had much luck either day.  I finally found the pangram today but am still not at genius (though I got the crossword done).  Yesterday I had several words left, and we needed bee buddy for iota, I think.

Yesterday for LB, I had headcase-economizer.  Congrats on yours, Langue_doc!

And yes, I was wondering how it worked in the city with trying to hear what the leader was saying and trying to maneuver as a group, stopping and starting and clustering.  I would be apologizing to everyone, too! I'm not surprised to hear about the cliques, sadly, but it's good if you know who to avoid and who to get a spot with. 

Long friend call this afternoon, so who knows what I might accomplish puzzle-ly, but I will give it my all. 

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Long day of hiking and conversation. So far I have enjoyed all the Meetup groups, though admittedly it's just a few. Came home, went out to dinner and came home to still incomplete puzzles.

QB with lots of hints for words I hadn't seen in a while like torii. LB was also tricky - got hints for randomize-echoes, headaches-sermonize.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. I'm not sure I can find any more words today. I think my last word was bandanna. Now that it requires several steps to see the previous day's list of words, it's quite an effort to get to that list this early in the morning.

I probably found a twofer, but don't know where I wrote down the words.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

We both got the pangram and to genius pretty quickly, which was a nice change after the past few puzzles.  I think I have 3 words left, so we'll see.  Yesterday we both had long calls and ran out of time but almost got team QB.  Needed bee buddy for midrib.

No luck on LB despite my efforts.

As for looking up previous day bee answers, I am back to looking at nytbee.com again, as that is the easiest way to find them.  I have a tab for it and tend to use that site to count word lengths that are left at the end of the day since we don't need Shunn anymore with bee buddy on hand.   I agree that it is way too much of a PITA to go through the bee itself to get to yesterday's answers now.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwAHTHICG and a new word midrib. If I still haven't gotten QB after the grid, then 2ll, then initial hints I look at the "who got how many words" to see if there are really obscure ones. Like midrib which involved looking for a list of botanical terms.

LB with community clue for garbled-definition after lots of 3fers and 2fer b4ss. If you go into the bee community and scroll to the 30's for "Recommended" there is a reader named Cynthia who posts a Letter Boxed subthread and people give hints.

For now, QB-3 and nowheresville on LB.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Got to QBABM! Yay! It feels like it has been a while.

I don't know why I'm more reluctant to look at LB 2fer hints.  I guess because the bee has a finite and specific list, so I want to find all of them, whereas there are (possibly) several inroads on LB. 

ciao_yall

QB-1 right now, trying not to look at the grid or the hints. I know it's a 5L though.

I try to look at the LB hints in stages - can I get it with just the first letters? Did the person put the definitions down one line so I can avoid looking at them?

ciao_yall

QBABM! Last word cooed. LB after finally finding a 3fer blimp-ponytail-lock finally went to the hints for clickbait-toponym which I don't think I would have found on my own.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB. Last words yesterday were detect, detected.

I too don't like to look for LB hints. Unlike the hints in BB, which I've had to resort to on a few occasions recently, the LB hints don't seem to be official. I gather one has to have enough time and patience to plow through the comments section every day.

I'm also not happy with the way the bee wants us to "share our accomplishments" instead of letting us continue with the puzzle after getting to genius. On occasion, my friends and I might discuss a certain puzzle, but when we talk there are so many other topics that are far more interesting than the puzzles.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to QBABM even before finishing getting ready today, which has to be rare for me if not a first.  Yesterday I also got to QBABM, but my last word was octet.

I had no luck on LB despite a lot of effort.  But I got a 2fer pretty quickly today!

I also don't have any interest in sharing my puzzle stats to social media or to friends.  I would rather not have to do extra clicking to get past that.  On the Nextdoor app, it also prompts me to "keep your neighbors in the know" (or something to that effect) when I take screenshots of posts.  No thanks, Nextdoor! I am saving this drama for my own purposes.  If I wanted to share the screenshot of the Nextdoor post back on Nextdoor, I'm sure I would have, but thanks for the intrusive suggestion.

We spent more time outside this morning than usual because there is big construction vehicle action going on at our neighbor's.  He texted my husband last night to ask if the vehicles could go through our property to get to the back of his, no problem.  We spent some time watching the excavator doing its thing.  I really didn't want to come in, but work calls and so forth.  I got some good video, at least.  Those things are pretty handy! I'm sure I'll be back out there checking out the action again later.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Attention crossword enthusiasts:

I just came across this Stanford study on how people solve crosswords and thought I would pass it along in case you want to check it out and possibly participate: https://iliad.stanford.edu/experiments/teaching/crosswords/crosswords/

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams and above genius. Last word yesterday was tinct.

ab_grp, thanks for the link. I might consider participating in the study.

Staying indoors because of the weather advisory.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwG, last word ziti. 3 quick 2fers violable-expertly, bore-exploratively, bye-explorative.

Yes, thanks for the study. I might block out 1/2 hour and do the puzzles. Except I don't always do them all at once - I like to poke at them during the day.

Oh well, happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Well, today was not the quick QB again, unsurprisingly.  I did get the pangrams and past genius.  Yesterday I think civet was my last word.

For LB, I got exploitative-every.  Congrats on your 3 2fers, ciao_yall, wow!

Welcome about the study! I am really keen to participate, but I wanted to find out more about how long the link lasts.  Like ciao_yall, I might want to work on one difficult puzzle on and off, or I might want to do one puzzle and then come back for another.  I hope that's possible.  It sounds like a really neat study.  And I am always willing to do crosswords for a good (or any) cause! If I get time today, I might go for it.

Hope the air clears up out there soon, Langue_doc.  I saw that NYC had the worst air quality in the world last night? Yick.  We have had a bunch of smoke around as well, but who knows what from.  We (well, husband) actually went outside late Monday night to see if something was on fire because it smelled so strongly inside the house.  It has smelled like mesquite, so everything smells like grilled food.  That's great, but not long term.  I am also wondering about breathing so much of it in, though our air quality ratings are not nearly as poor as on the east coast.  Stay safe over there.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram, genius, and almost QB. Last few words yesterday were four-letter words that I thought I had already entered. I recall BB had a rather strange hint for teem, one of the words I found quite early in the puzzle.

jointed/diarchy

The skies continue to be hazy. Events are being canceled across the board, so I don't have to take my name off the lists. There's an event on Saturday that I'm hoping would be rescheduled because it came as a sort of gift for being a member of another organization.

ab_grp, hope the snakes on your property have move on to better accommodations!

Happy solving!