News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Yeah, it looked to me like it was percentage-based, too.

Good call on 'yoyo'. I try it every time.
I know it's a genus.

fleabite

Quote from: ab_grp on August 28, 2020, 02:36:41 PM
And no "yoyo" (okay, maybe a brand name at one point, but still), "nono", "bobby",  but they'll take "bootee" and both "bandana" and "bandanna".

At least in the print version, the words you construct have to have at least five letters, so "yo-yo" wouldn't qualify. Also, it's hyphenated, and hyphenated words are also no-nos.

nebo113

Glad to know I'm not the only frustrated speller.  Why don't they just use a standard dictionary??  And, boyoboy, I wish NYT would re-instate SET.  I don't like the online free version I found.

ab_grp

Okay, there is a word today that is not in the puzzle that I definitely think should be! It's a pretty common word! I am going to use this as my experiment to write to the powers.  I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on September 03, 2020, 12:38:57 PM
Okay, there is a word today that is not in the puzzle that I definitely think should be! It's a pretty common word! I am going to use this as my experiment to write to the powers.  I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Eight letters? It should absolutely be counted. There's a bizarre omission at four letters, too.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 03, 2020, 12:42:28 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on September 03, 2020, 12:38:57 PM

Eight letters? It should absolutely be counted. There's a bizarre omission at four letters, too.

Hmm! I was talking about a four-letter word (probably same as yours) but am now curious about the eight-letter word.   As an update, I had emailed the address provided in the app (NYTCrossword@nytimes.com) just to see if they would redirect me as they had Boomvang.  I received an auto-reply within a minute and then a real reply within two minutes! Apparently, quite a lot of folks have notified them of the omission, it was an honest error, and it will most certainly show up in any future puzzles for which it would be a possibility letter-wise.  So, that definitely seems like confirmation that they will add words in at times.  I will be keeping an eye out! But I appreciate their swift response.

nebo113

ab_grp

My email was about cope.  Parasaurolophus, what was the eight-letter word you were thinking of?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on September 04, 2020, 08:40:04 AM
My email was about cope.  Parasaurolophus, what was the eight-letter word you were thinking of?

Pellmell. I'll grant it's usually hyphenated, but it's spelled without often enough that it should have worked, as far as I'm concerned. More readily acceptable than today's four-letter Spanish word, I should think!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 04, 2020, 08:56:13 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on September 04, 2020, 08:40:04 AM

Pellmell. I'll grant it's usually hyphenated, but it's spelled without often enough that it should have worked, as far as I'm concerned. More readily acceptable than today's four-letter Spanish word, I should think!

Ah, yep! We tried that one, too.  I don't think I found the Spanish word yet, but now I have a lead! Still have about 16 points to go for QB and am, as usual, stuck.  I would also like to know why some common dances are accepted and others aren't.

nebo113

Didn't quite make genius, but yesterday I used ALL the letters in one word!!!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: nebo113 on September 15, 2020, 04:37:51 AM
Didn't quite make genius, but yesterday I used ALL the letters in one word!!!

Nice work! I really struggled with yesterday's, especially the pangram. I don't accept 'boogaloo'. It's not a word, it's just what some bigoted fascist morons call themselves.

Lots of non-words-that-should-be-words in today's. And I noticed the other day that they still haven't decided to accept 'atlatl'.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Lede and clitic aren't on the list of acceptable (English) words, but raita and baobab are OK. I'm still struggling with today's pangram.

Parasaurolophus

Right, clitic! I tried it yesterday, but was struggling to remember it this morning.

I don't have the pangram yet either, but if I don't see it early, it usually comes to me after I've set it aside for a few hours.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

It took me forever to get the pangram today.  I think I already had genius plus 20 or so points by the time my husband finally got it and I begged him for a clue.  I tried so many compound words that didn't work.  Boogaloo really annoyed me yesterday.  It was the only word I was missing, and my program didn't find it (I guess I need to load more of the solutions to the database to help supplement the dictionary match).  When I finally just looked at the answer page, I just thought okay, whatever.  Give me a break.  So many more common words do not appear, but then some wackadoo words are in there.  I did try gabagool yesterday, which was kind of funny because we then watched an episode of The Office in which they used that word.  Anyway, today I still have about 12 points to go and am running my program, so we'll see.  Otherwise, I will just stew on it all day and not get as much done.