News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning! Going for a hike, then T-Day at a friend's house. Contribution all made.

SB - Yesterday GwP, then quick pangram this morning.

LB - purchase-emoji. I remember when cathwen first started doing LB and found emoji and I was like wow, I'm in the presence of genius.

I am grateful for this sweet, supportive thread of peace and fun while other threads devolve into whining.

Anyway, happy solving and happy T-Day!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I am struggling for GN4L, but there are a lot of 4L! I have to get one more word for genius, and I only have three possibilities left, all of which are pretty short but are eluding me for now.  I am determined! I think my final words yesterday included tupelo, outpoll, poult, penult.  It didn't take pentuple, pentuplet, pluot? I think those weren't accepted before, either, but I thought they were words.

Kudos on your 2fer, ciao_yall!! Emoji is just one that doesn't occur to me.  The closest I came was the ships perjuries-chamois.

I am also grateful for this, my favorite thread with favorite forumites! Have a very happy Thanksgiving! 

cathwen

Good afternoon! 

Just got to Alpha—four words to go.  Yesterday I resorted to WordPlay.  Poult and toluene were my last words.

LB:  I also had purchase-emoji yesterday!  I wonder if there were other solutions?  That J made it a difficult LB. 

I found a a 2fer today.

I also want to express gratitude for such a good-natured, supportive thread, where we celebrate each other's successes (large or small). 

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fers yesterday and today, cathwen! And good luck on the bee.  I finally made it to GN4L and then pretty quickly to Alpha but have one word left for QB.  Happy Thanksgiving!

OneMoreYear

Got a 2fer today. It's a lazy day around here, so there is time for puzzles, as our family is too far away to visit with SO's work schedule.
Happy Thanksgiving all!

ab_grp

Yeah! Congrats on your 2fer as well, OneMoreYear! I have a couple contenders but haven't gotten very far yet.  We're also being lazy, and I think my mind is as well.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Husband and I finally got to QBABO with different final words.  Whew.

Parasaurolophus

Took me 37 words to get to gwp.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Husband and I each have two words left to QB but are not sure if they are the same or not.  But we did get to Alpha.  Yesterday I think apnea was my final word.

I got a 2fer yesterday, not the schmofficial one (which I never would have gotten!): wholes-substation.  I found waistline(s) and figured that HAD to be part of the schmofficial one given that it was Thanksgiving, but I didn't get anywhere with it.  And I guess not, anyway.

Congrats, Parasaurolophus!

Still struggling with the crossword, E/SE.  Ugh!

I hope those who Thanksgivinged enjoyed it.  We did actually end up getting our tree decorated.  Much more festive this year, though still weird.

Happy solving!

cathwen

QB yesterday, but resorted to 2LL hints for the last word, which was pome.  It seemed stupid to be stumped at a 4-letter word, but I wouldn't have found it without the hint (and some random letter scrambling).

Today's SB is at QB-2.  I'm hoping for QBABM, but we'll see. 

But LB!  The "official" solution is bushwa-alienation.  Bushwa? Really?  I had washtubs-sealion.  I was surprised that they accepted sealion, because I would have written it as two words.  Ab_grp, I like your solution better, because neither word is "iffy."  OneMoreYear, I'm curious to see if you got something different yet!

An LB twofer is eluding me today, despite having found several really good words.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Pangram first, then never made it past Amazing.

LB - Just 3fers. I actually did find bushwa-ale-elation. SO CLOSE!

Enjoyed my hike and T-Day feast yesterday, but resting today so hoping for better puzzle results today.

ab_grp

Cathwen, I definitely thought pome was a tough one, and I found it by just trying things.  Good luck with the bee! I like your LB solution as well!

Ciao_yall, if you got bushwa I think you should consider it a win.  No way no day would I have found that one.

Husband got QBABH.  I still have one word left. 

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - GwPABM again, then focused on LB. baaing?

LB - just 3fers including tomahawks-sure-eve, wharves-stakeout-tum, outworks-shave-emu.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Ciao_yall, I'm with you—baaing?  I needed a hint to find it. 

I'm at QB-2 this morning and out of ideas. 

LB:  I didn't get a 2fer yesterday, although I did have hawks—but didn't see vermouth.  I was also trying to make a 2fer with tomahawks!  But alas....   I have a somewhat odd 2fer today, but it took me a good while to find it.

Happy puzzling! 

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I have one more word to QB but will have to hope other puzzles shake that one out.  Yesterday I think baaing, babka were my final ones.

No luck on LB despite a lot of contenders.  Congrats on yours today, cathwen!

Happy solving!