News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trendy Words I Do Not Like

Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishbrains

"Digital natives" when referring to our students' ability to use hardware and software. Most of them are helpless when even just a small problem arises.

Sorry if this one has been mentioned before.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

marshwiggle

Quote from: fishbrains on October 27, 2021, 03:47:57 AM
"Digital natives" when referring to our students' ability to use hardware and software. Most of them are helpless when even just a small problem arises.

Sorry if this one has been mentioned before.

Maybe the original phrase was misheard, and the second "t" doesn't belong there. That would explain a lot.
It takes so little to be above average.

ab_grp

There was talk on social media recently about college students not seeming to understand file structures.  I guess they are just using to passively saving files and photos to some big dump area and not setting up folders pertaining to different projects, and so forth.  Newer technology and capacity means that they can just search for whatever they need in that big general space.  I don't know how widespread this is, but it is interesting to think about.

Aster

Quote from: fishbrains on October 27, 2021, 03:47:57 AM
I've learned to swap in "digital zombies" instead.

Harlow2

Quote from: ab_grp on October 27, 2021, 09:16:46 AM
There was talk on social media recently about college students not seeming to understand file structures.  I guess they are just using to passively saving files and photos to some big dump area and not setting up folders pertaining to different projects, and so forth.  Newer technology and capacity means that they can just search for whatever they need in that big general space.  I don't know how widespread this is, but it is interesting to think about.

This might explain how some of my colleagues use Google drive.

Hibush

Quote from: Harlow2 on October 28, 2021, 08:01:23 PM

File systems are now a Dark Art. xkcd

ab_grp

Quote from: Hibush on October 29, 2021, 09:23:24 PM
Quote from: Harlow2 on October 28, 2021, 08:01:23 PM

File systems are now a Dark Art. xkcd

Ha! I guess that explains it!

mahagonny

Student writes on RMP "Arguably, he is my favorite professor at this school."

Who is there to argue with?

mahagonny

'blame on'

Just say 'blame,' please. It's correct and it saves time.

mahagonny

'inclusive'

Because it means aligned with left wing politics, orthodoxy, which means exclusive.

ab_grp

Recently saw someone describe their applied research department's work as "user-obsessed," which just sounds creepy to me.

mahagonny

'Cocktail.' Used to mean 'combination' of just about anything. I don't want to hear anyone mention cocktails unless they're serious.

mahagonny

word salad

Insensitive to persons who have schizophrenia. They can't stop their disorganized thinking. Speaking and writing that we think is poorly constructed is something that legitimately invites critique, but not terms that should stay peculiar to a field.

Now, how about a round of applause for my compassion.

Harlow2

Real-world as an adjective. The referent is becoming increasingly unclear as per Meta.

apl68

Quote from: Harlow2 on January 31, 2022, 05:59:36 AM
Real-world as an adjective. The referent is becoming increasingly unclear as per Meta.

In fairness, it DOES seem like it's getting harder to tell what's "real world" and what's "meta" apart anymore.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.