Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Quote from: AmLitHist on December 21, 2019, 02:45:37 PM
Quote from: traductio on December 19, 2019, 06:52:58 PM
Learned today that my sabbatical request has been approved. I'm very excited about this.

Congratulations!  This was going to be my year to apply.....but my place "suspended" (i.e., we''l never see them again) sabbaticals last year.  All best on yours!

Chiming to the regrets on your behalf for the loss of sabbatical possibilities. If anyone ever deserved or needed one, I'm guessing you'd be in the top of the list, judging from all you've dealt with over the years.

It's mean to take away something like that, that represents hope and healing to people. I'm also angry on your behalf that the perception of academic work in various circles that ought to know better is so dismissive and self-righteous.

One's work in forming the lives of your students can't be measured in classroom hours alone.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Thank goodness, my little blue XHDD came through for me with the files I needed to a) write an abstract due Wednesday, and b) get materials together for two other upcoming events.

Its tiny plug input had become jammed, and then broken off on the plug, but it was clear the files on it were all intact.

It was possible to hold the plug into contact with the internal connector,  with one hand, while clicking and swiping files into the open folder where they needed to go on the other.

My first target was the files for the abstract--a complicated Ppt I'd done in the spring, and hadn't backed up anywhere yet when the connector became compromised in July.

Then I pushed my luck and tried for a few more needed files I'd done then.

I was able to get most of those before it started squeaking and flashing....and then it shut down and became harder to revive.

There are a couple more things still needed, but I can wait to try to pull those later.

I really did not want to (nor did I think I could) re-create the 50-slide set of visual prompts I used for the paper I gave on the topic last spring.

VERY, very glad I don't have to.

Now...I just have to write the abstract.

M. 

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

bibliothecula

Two really good first days of classes! Phew.

ergative

This semester is the first time in literally years that I have not been teaching completely new courses. My mind is boggling at the freedom that comes with pulling out last year's lecture notes, reading through them, making sure the links on the powerpoints still work, and then going, 'yup--that's still what I want to say!' and posting them on the CMS and being done. It's glorious. Last year I spent all weekend writing lectures. This year I'm done with next week's lectures half an hour after I decide to start working on them.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on January 13, 2020, 04:25:06 PM
Thank goodness, my little blue XHDD came through for me with the files I needed to a) write an abstract due Wednesday, and b) get materials together for two other upcoming events.

Its tiny plug input had become jammed, and then broken off on the plug, but it was clear the files on it were all intact.

It was possible to hold the plug into contact with the internal connector,  with one hand, while clicking and swiping files into the open folder where they needed to go on the other.

My first target was the files for the abstract--a complicated Ppt I'd done in the spring, and hadn't backed up anywhere yet when the connector became compromised in July.

Then I pushed my luck and tried for a few more needed files I'd done then.

I was able to get most of those before it started squeaking and flashing....and then it shut down and became harder to revive.

There are a couple more things still needed, but I can wait to try to pull those later.

I really did not want to (nor did I think I could) re-create the 50-slide set of visual prompts I used for the paper I gave on the topic last spring.

VERY, very glad I don't have to.

Now...I just have to write the abstract.

M.

Abstract done, written and submitted.

3 AM is close enough to midnight if you've been teaching and editing all day and needed a short nap (i.e., fell asleep over the keyboard...) before finishing, right?

After all, it's midnight somewhere then....

;--}

M.

mamselle

Am I the only one breathing here?

;--》

Anyway...I'm so grateful for the NYC culture that puts actual classical pieces (with a smattering of very old film tunes) on the Muzak loop in the Penn Station waiting room.

Sooo...soothing, centering, humanizing.

M.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on February 07, 2020, 01:48:23 PM
Am I the only one breathing here?

No, I've been breathing much better lately too.  And not just because that collapsed lung from my dog attack some months back has healed!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Wow. That's very good news. That wasn't your only injury, either, was it?

How is all that going now?

M.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on February 08, 2020, 08:24:19 AM
Wow. That's very good news. That wasn't your only injury, either, was it?

How is all that going now?

M.

Okay.  I'm now able to sleep on either side.  The big challenge now is rebuilding my upper body strength.

Without getting into a lot of detail, my injury last summer wasn't the worst thing to happen to either me individually or to my family last summer.  We're better now.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Glad things are better...all good thoughts for continued healing in all dimensions.

My inhale: two friends and I had a spur-of-the-moment "UnValintine's Party" last night.

We went to a good crepes cafe, ate crepes, drank tea, and shared a chocolate-Strawberry-chantilly crepe for dessert. (Before and After photos of the plate suggest how good it was!l)

The rules were:
  1. No red, no pink, no lace.
  2. No flowers (we decided candy or sweets might be OK...hence the dessert crepe at the end!)

We spent three hours eating, discussing drawing, travel, quilting, painting, museums, knitting, new homes (two had recently moved), books, France, Quebec, Vancouver, California, jewelry, job hunting, and...oh, libraries.

No romantic relationships, or their lack, were even considered. They never even came up.

It was a fine evening.

M.

ergative

I'm in the capital for a week-long training course in geometric art (a newish interest of mine), which happened to overlap with our mid-semester break, so I can do it without even missing any classes. And Absolutive came with me for the weekend, where we went to see an exhibition at a museum, visited wonderful, wonderful local bookstores, ate really good pizza, had cocktails, and made a pilgrimage to a neighborhood where some of his heros lived (and about whom he's been reading a group biography). It's been such a nice weekend, and now my class starts tomorrow and I'm really excited for it.

After Absolutive left, I caught up on Picard, which is a very, very good show!

mamselle

mamselle

Ok, another double inhale....

A. Buses have ramps as well as kneeling sides, so I can wean myself away from cabs!

B. I've proven to my own satisfaction that the info for the blog I'm trying to finish either doesn't exist or is too hard to find to keep looking.

So I can finish it and send it out into the world to do whatever good it may do...and get it off my to-do list!

M.

AmLitHist

ALHS and I started on Weight Watchers about 3 weeks ago.  We've both lost about 20 pounds so far--and can both stand to lose a good deal more.  I know it won't keep coming off this fast, and that's OK; I have no plans of becoming slim and svelte at my age.  Rather, I just want to stop gaining (as I had been in December and January) and to get my blood sugar numbers down.  Bonus:  I can already fit back into clothes that had been tight, and with room left over.  I'm particularly happy with myself, since my mobility is pretty limited and exercising to any serious degree is currently off the table.

ciao_yall

Quote from: AmLitHist on February 21, 2020, 09:00:48 AM
ALHS and I started on Weight Watchers about 3 weeks ago.  We've both lost about 20 pounds so far--and can both stand to lose a good deal more.  I know it won't keep coming off this fast, and that's OK; I have no plans of becoming slim and svelte at my age.  Rather, I just want to stop gaining (as I had been in December and January) and to get my blood sugar numbers down.  Bonus:  I can already fit back into clothes that had been tight, and with room left over.  I'm particularly happy with myself, since my mobility is pretty limited and exercising to any serious degree is currently off the table.

I love WW! Will PM you my screen name and you can follow me if you want.