News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Went to the doc today and was told that, currently, I do NOT need surgery. After a month of this crap, with symptoms slowly abating and new lifestyle changes, I am happy to hear this. I'll follow up in a few months.

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on January 06, 2021, 10:16:55 AM
Went to the doc today and was told that, currently, I do NOT need surgery. After a month of this crap, with symptoms slowly abating and new lifestyle changes, I am happy to hear this. I'll follow up in a few months.

That sounds like great news! I hope you continue to feel better.

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on January 06, 2021, 10:16:55 AM

That's great news!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 06, 2021, 06:57:02 AM
Quote from: paultuttle on January 06, 2021, 06:18:25 AM
A fairly significant lower back injury that occurred December 8 is responding well to muscle relaxers and exercise/physical therapy. I can now walk without a cane again (as of three days ago).

Still to be remedied: I cannot sit in an office chair for more than about two hours without a break; I cannot bend over and touch my toes; I cannot tie my own shoes; I cannot pick up something from the floor. And every time I try to roll over in my sleep, the pain in my back wakes me up.

(We're working on getting a new, "orthopedic" office chair. I'm also planning to start doing yoga soon, so I can learn a good bit more of what to do during those breaks from sitting.)

All in all, things are progressing back to normal. Or at least a new normal that I can deal with.

My sympathies, especially as I've been there. PT was like life support and continued to be until the pandemic. Keep up with the PT if you can. There's nothing like a trained therapist massaging your back and stretching you out.

Physical therapy worked well last year as my mother was recovering from her broken hip.  I've done do-it-yourself physical therapy on my injured shoulders.  Hope that you continue to see improvement, even if it seems rather gradual.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

nonsensical

Woke up to a straightforward R&R from a good journal! This place has rejected everything else I've ever sent them, so this feels extra nice.

Langue_doc

Just tried on the waterproof down jacket that I had bought last December for my out-and-aboutings for earlier this year. All outings were canceled, so never got to try out the jacket.

As long as the temperature remains above 20 and I'm walking, I think the jacket should be fine. The tags were still on when I took it out today. I have other jackets that are probably warmer, but the pockets are not suited for long walks or hikes,

I am relieved that I don't have to try out jackets this year.

Vkw10

I thought I'd been targeted by a scammer when I saw "Are you my cousin?"  as an email subject, but it really was from a second cousin. It's been at least fifteen years since the last contact with my father's side of the family, so it's rather nice to be back in touch even though we never did have more than a Christmas card and funeral relationship. At least we can update the family tree again.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

evil_physics_witchcraft

I am SO excited, happy, relieved. etc. I have prepped ALL of my materials (except for one answer key) for next week!!!

Last semester was touch and go (creating content along the way). I'm hoping that this semester will be much different and it seems to be.

ergative

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on January 15, 2021, 07:34:06 PM
I am SO excited, happy, relieved. etc. I have prepped ALL of my materials (except for one answer key) for next week!!!

Last semester was touch and go (creating content along the way). I'm hoping that this semester will be much different and it seems to be.

Me too! I worked late on Friday just to makes sure that all my materials were prepped for next week. I still have grading to do this weekend, but that's less mentally taxing: reactive, rather than creative and proactive. High five to the full-week-in-advance preppers!

Harlow2

After 5 hours creating new accounts and then finally getting a vaccination slot—for the end of April—I was able to find a newly opened slot with a date 2 months earlier!  I may be able to teach at least part of my hybrid class in person. And be indoors with the family I don't live with. Elation!

Langue_doc

The days are getting longer, visibly so.

Vkw10

My university announced a small bonus, across the board, for next year!

It will be a second year without raises, but no one was expecting raises, so most people are happy.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Vkw10 on February 10, 2021, 05:33:57 PM

It will be a second year without raises, but no one was expecting raises, so most people are happy.

Wow! Good news! What is your University doing that they are able to give bonuses?

We are headed for retrenchment, so I'm excited to see somewhere doing it (at least somewhat) right!

Vkw10

Quote from: OneMoreYear on February 11, 2021, 01:29:10 PM
Quote from: Vkw10 on February 10, 2021, 05:33:57 PM

Wow! Good news! What is your University doing that they are able to give bonuses?

We are headed for retrenchment, so I'm excited to see somewhere doing it (at least somewhat) right!

Imposed a hiring freeze the day we went remote, offered voluntary separation incentive, eliminated every vacant position in October, required every division to reduce budget 8% (which resulted in many non-tenure track faculty not being renewed), kept library and computer labs open throughout pandemic, offered a mix of  class types (f2f, online, hybrid) so students had choices, and anything else they could think of to keep enrollment up.

We're only down 3% enrollment from last spring, everyone is exhausted, but we're doing better than many places. So, we get a small bonus to be paid out in fall 2021. I'm shocked and delighted.

ergative

Dear Dr Ergative,

. . . Assuming that these issues can be resolved in a manner that doesn't cause fundamental problems for your analysis, I anticipate that we will be able to accept the paper after your next revision (perhaps pending minor changes) . . .

Best,
Editor in Chief of Absolutely Positively Top Journal in Your Field