News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Quote from: fast_and_bulbous on August 25, 2021, 08:16:36 AM
Got an article accepted in Science, holy crap!

And I have lots of weed. I always think this thread is about weed, for a split second, before I remember that it is something else entirely.

I actually have a lot to be happy about right now, it's odd to be so content working away in my basement when the rest of the world seems to be falling apart.

I'll just keep on inhalin' I guess, with occasional exhales so as not to explode.

That is wonderful news.

Many congratulations!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

And I have lots of weed. I always think this thread is about weed, for a split second, before I remember that it is something else entirely.

I actually have a lot to be happy about right now, it's odd to be so content working away in my basement when the rest of the world seems to be falling apart.

I'll just keep on inhalin' I guess, with occasional exhales so as not to explode.

Congrats!!!

Vkw10

Quote from: Puget on August 25, 2021, 08:42:51 AM

Wow, congrats!!

Congratulations! Time to update your Fora tag line!
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ergative

Outstanding!

Puget

Has no one seriously had an inhale for a month???

Inhale: My online conference talk and the whole symposium went well!  It was well-attended as well. And we got to go first, so now I can enjoy the rest of the conference without worrying about my talk.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

larryc

I got a small grant, $25k to create a manual of how to do living history programs at a national park. I will make it the class project in a public history course, then use the money to hire the best students to finish it. Oh and we'll all take a trip to the park.

mamselle

Quote from: larryc on September 25, 2021, 10:02:21 AM
I got a small grant, $25k to create a manual of how to do living history programs at a national park. I will make it the class project in a public history course, then use the money to hire the best students to finish it. Oh and we'll all take a trip to the park.

Well-deserved news. Good for you.

M.

ergative

Quote from: larryc on September 25, 2021, 10:02:21 AM

Congratulations! I've always loved the idea of living history programs.

I made lasagna last night. I didn't really have a recipe, just layered a bunch of sauteed mushrooms and spinach and cheese and tomato sauce until the pan was full, and baked it. Turned out great!

ergative

I neglected to fill out a paperwork about ordering enough textbooks for a huge intro class. I just got in touch with the bookstore person today to see about getting the textbooks in, and she responded immediately, 'Oh, yes, I always make sure there are extras even if you didn't order them. We've sold X, we have Y left in stock, and I'll order some more to make sure we don't run out later.'

Competent colleagues are so glorious. How often do you realize you've goofed big time and then learned that someone else saved you, all within 10 minutes? A rollercoaster of a morning.

mamselle

On behalf of former college bookstore workers everywhere, having worked as one for two years, it's good to know that work is appreciated.

M.

apl68

It's a real contrast to the bookstore at the university where I used to work, which did such a poor job of ordering textbooks (One semester a survey showed that a solid majority of classes had late materials) that the university finally took away their textbook-ordering responsibilities and outsourced them.  Ordering textbooks for a university has got to be a tough job to get right.  It's easy to see where there would be a lot of uncertainty regarding things not under the order department's control.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

An editor friend whose own written work I really respect just told me, when I sent her the abstract to look over, "you write beautifully, so no criticisms from me. Sounds fine."

I will dance with those words for the rest of the day, and many days to come.

The attitude is gratitude.

M.   

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on October 06, 2021, 12:04:59 PM
An editor friend whose own written work I really respect just told me, when I sent her the abstract to look over, "you write beautifully, so no criticisms from me. Sounds fine."

I will dance with those words for the rest of the day, and many days to come.

The attitude is gratitude.

M.

So...you're not like the guy who was given a clean bill of health from the doctor and complained that he failed to find something, after the patient had gone to the trouble of seeing him?

Congratulations!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all