Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Yea for all inhales!

Breathing in nice, fresh air is good.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Quote from: Puget on December 09, 2021, 02:06:27 PM
Got a decision on a big collaborative manuscript today that we had submitted to a very good journal in our field. I saw the email pop up during lab meeting, but resisted looking at it all through lab meeting and subsequent individual student meetings. During this several hours, I successfully convinced myself it was a rejection and composed the email in my head telling my co-authors this and suggesting a new journal (I'm a big fan of defensive pessimism). BUT, when I finally read it it was not a rejection, it was an R&R! Much better news to share with the team. Haven't read through the reviews yet, but happy for now!

Oh, I hate those 'decision' emails. They so rarely put the decision in the subject line! The worst ones hide it in an attachment. Congrats on your superhuman control not to peak between meetings! I'm glad that when you collapsed the wave function of Schroedinger's Decision it fell in your favor.

My inhale; I got my first of four big chunks of grading done last night. Let's see if I can get the other three chunks done next week before I turn into a pumpkin for the holidays.

Puget

Quote from: ergative on December 11, 2021, 12:55:59 AM
Quote from: Puget on December 09, 2021, 02:06:27 PM
Got a decision on a big collaborative manuscript today that we had submitted to a very good journal in our field. I saw the email pop up during lab meeting, but resisted looking at it all through lab meeting and subsequent individual student meetings. During this several hours, I successfully convinced myself it was a rejection and composed the email in my head telling my co-authors this and suggesting a new journal (I'm a big fan of defensive pessimism). BUT, when I finally read it it was not a rejection, it was an R&R! Much better news to share with the team. Haven't read through the reviews yet, but happy for now!

Oh, I hate those 'decision' emails. They so rarely put the decision in the subject line! The worst ones hide it in an attachment. Congrats on your superhuman control not to peak between meetings! I'm glad that when you collapsed the wave function of Schroedinger's Decision it fell in your favor.

My inhale; I got my first of four big chunks of grading done last night. Let's see if I can get the other three chunks done next week before I turn into a pumpkin for the holidays.

Me too! I don't understand why they can't just put it at the top of the email at least. Often it is buried after a paragraph or more of thanking the reviewers and a summary of the reviews and editor's opinions. Just freaking tell me if it's a R&R or reject first!

Good luck with the remaining grading!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Harlow2

Just met the in-laws-to-be, technically my daughter's, who are charming and funny. I can see why she and my grandson like them so much. I suspected things would go well, and am pleased that they did.  Daughter is an only child so having some sib-in-law will be a good thing. 

Larimar

Got my COVID booster shot on Monday. It was Pfizer this time; my previous shots had been Moderna. I'd been dreading it because my second shot put me to sleep the whole next day, and then for the following two days after that it set off my eczema torturously. I was about ready to amputate my own legs, or at least start slicing off my skin, with a kitchen knife, the itching was so bad.

I've had almost no side effects this time. Same for Mr. Larimar, who got his shot at the same time. My arm is still a bit sore, but not bad, and yesterday I felt perhaps a little foggy, but that's been it. I was even able to take a shower last night without my skin complaining. That was the real test.

I am feeling so relieved and thankful!

mamselle

At the first of three of the Ppt showings, someone whose work I highly respect suggested I submit an online blog article done last year for a related website to their journal.

I'm still wondering if I heard correctly...and I have to check its copyright status, but if its allowed, I shall.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Foolishy, I checked my work email despite being on holiday leave. The following notifications greeted me:

1. My Big Paper has finally been published! Naturally, when I went to look at it I found some missing parentheses in a citation in the first paragraph, but whatever. It's up!
2. My research leave for next fall has been granted. I applied a year earlier than, strictly speaking, I was eligible for it, but my chair must have pulled some strings on my behalf.
3. My internal mini-grant was funded, so I have $500 to pay subjects for an experiment I want to run. (The experiment requires in-person lab attendance, so it's unlikely it'll actually happen, but maybe by April . . .?)
4. I'm getting a bonus? I didn't know this was A Thing, but apparently it is. I promptly splurged more than I care to share on a big gift box from Runamok Maple.

mamselle

WOW !

CONGRATS! x 4

! ! ! !

M.

Harlow2

Quote from: ergative on December 22, 2021, 03:50:15 PM
Foolishy, I checked my work email despite being on holiday leave. The following notifications greeted me:

1. My Big Paper has finally been published! Naturally, when I went to look at it I found some missing parentheses in a citation in the first paragraph, but whatever. It's up!
2. My research leave for next fall has been granted. I applied a year earlier than, strictly speaking, I was eligible for it, but my chair must have pulled some strings on my behalf.
3. My internal mini-grant was funded, so I have $500 to pay subjects for an experiment I want to run. (The experiment requires in-person lab attendance, so it's unlikely it'll actually happen, but maybe by April . . .?)
4. I'm getting a bonus? I didn't know this was A Thing, but apparently it is. I promptly splurged more than I care to share on a big gift box from Runamok Maple.

Go, Ergative!  And congratulations. 

arcturus

One of my graduate students just received her first review from a journal article submission. While there are minor points raised, the summary statement was that the paper could be accepted without any revisions. We will address the minor points. I have never seen such a positive review!!!

mamselle

Must be the day for it!

My potentially sternest critic loves the short piece I just finished and thinks I should send it out tomorrow.

Floating, here...

M.

Harlow2

paultuttle

Starting a new job today! Woo hoo!

AmLitHist

Congrats and good luck, Paul Tuttle!

My inhale:  I have all my Bb work ready to go for the entire semester, a week ahead of the first day of class.

mamselle

Quote from: AmLitHist on January 10, 2022, 11:26:42 AM
Congrats and good luck, Paul Tuttle!

My inhale:  I have all my Bb work ready to go for the entire semester, a week ahead of the first day of class.

Good for you--and despite the foot-leg stuff at that!

M.