News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Women's World Cup 2019

Started by Parasaurolophus, June 14, 2019, 01:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Eepeepeep. CAD-NED is a real nail-biter, with NED dominant in the first half. CAD's looking somewhat flat-footed; I think the main issue is possession, especially somewhere at the midfield level.

EDIT: Agh! Still, at least we're still qualified, although Sweden could be a tough draw (assuming they lose today). Unfoetunately, I have to teach now, so I'll miss the game. I'm glad Canada managed to turn on the taps for the last 15
If only they'd played like that all match!
I know it's a genus.

Tenured_Feminist

I so wanted Canada to have a better day!

backatit

Yes, I'm terribly sorry about that. It was a difficult match.

Parasaurolophus

I'll be travelling today, so I won't see the game. But: Go Canada!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Aaand I'm crushed, especially because I missed it.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Well, that was a dull semi-final. I hope Asllani's OK, though. It didn't look bad at all, but you never know with a head hit, and she seemed seriously down for the count.

I don't think the Netherlands have anything close to what it takes to beat the US in the final, but I guess we'll see.
I know it's a genus.

kaysixteen

There are two points, running up the score, and excessive celebrations after goals.  It may well be impossible not to score a great amount against a manifestly inferior team from a small country that lacks the financial resources to establish and maintain a world class team, but excessive celebrations after goals, especially after you've hit double figures, is juvenile and unbecoming, quite unsportsmanlike.  It really just is, especially when the opponent is outclassed and more or less just there to represent its country on the world stage as best it can.

octoprof

We haven't been watching (not great TV access during travels) but have been following. I'm very proud of the excellent play by the US team. I hope they win the final game against the Netherlands, but I also hope it's a good game for the spectators.
Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

backatit

I am bracing for the next round. I was sort of pulling for Sweden to advance, but the Netherlands has a lot of good players (a lot of their team plays on the Arsenal women's team) and while I don't think they're competitive against the US, I am looking forward to watching them play.

And I was surprised at how gutted I was at England's loss. I thought I was more conflicted with that game but apparently I misjudged my loyalties ;).

Parasaurolophus

Well, the third-place game sure was exciting! I'm glad that Asllani's more or less OK, too.

Here's hoping tomorrow's game is as good.
I know it's a genus.

Tenured_Feminist

Parasaurolophus

Congratulations on the win. I'd say it was a good game up until the first goal, at which point the Netherlands sort of collapsed. I'm glad it wasn't decided on a penalty, though.
I know it's a genus.

backatit

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 07, 2019, 10:00:00 AM
Congratulations on the win. I'd say it was a good game up until the first goal, at which point the Netherlands sort of collapsed. I'm glad it wasn't decided on a penalty, though.

I was really not thrilled with the penalty (and I'm really glad that the Premier League has said that they're not going to implement VAR in the same way, as I think it changes the character of the game in a not positive way).  I thought that both goalkeepers did an especially good job. The Netherlands had a strong defense, particularly the first half, but they did lose momentum in the 2nd. The VAR penalty calls were very uneven (Argentina vs. Chile, anyone?) and I do hope they get that ironed out before next time.

Edit: as I clarified the PL use of VAR to include only major decisions, and it will be publicly broadcast, rather than a private consultation.

secundem_artem

All I saw were 15 graceless boors who don't think it's a win unless you've rubbed your opponents face in it.  I'm surprised Rapinoe does not want to meet Trump.  The only class either of them have is low.

And yes, I would say the exact same thing if a male team had acted this way.  The ugly American abroad.  It's a thing.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

backatit

Can I ask what your previous experience with soccer is?  I don't agree with you about Rapinoe (I think she's actually an excellent player, and one of the few on the US team whose ability lives up to the hype) but in general, US soccer is stronger mostly because of weakness in the European system and strengths in the American (look at how they used VAR to their advantage, for example - the way they implemented it in this tourney played to their style of play). I'm hoping this will be corrected in coming years - the Dutch are playing on English teams now with decent coaches, and if they can get their act together and develop their attack better, they may be a real challenge in the future. The English women DO have a really good coach (his credentials are impeccable even if his personal style is a little...questionable) but England has a long history of being able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in world cup play so I don't see them changing that any time soon, either women OR men (we almost brought it home this past year, sniff).

I'm happy to discuss specifics of THAT, but your generalities leave me at a loss for having a real discussion about the game.