News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

A Biden pardon for Trump??

Started by nebo113, April 07, 2023, 06:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: financeguy on April 08, 2023, 12:25:42 AM
Notice that those who want a conviction only advocate for one on grounds of "to do it or not" while those that oppose a conviction evaluate it as a tradeoff given likely second and third order effects. You don't get to choose to just convict. You can choose to do so WITH a bunch of other consequences but in no world does "and then what" just go away as a concern. Every right leaning DA in the country now is thinking about how they can get as much face time as Bragg by going after a leftist. They will certainly be able to find something, as is always the case with any target.

We're talking about pardons, not convictions.

And what is this myth that only Democrats are capable of acting/morally responsible? They should avoid applying the law fairly just in case Republicans decide to retaliate by applying it unjustly? Bullshit. Republicans don't need a pretext, and if they draw one from a perfectly fair and legitimate response to egregious criminal activity on their part... Well, what can you do? They're not acting in good faith. No amount of good faith or favours on the Democrats' part is going to change that. You'd have to be as naive as a baby not to understand that.

Besides, the right is already targeting their enemies for spurious prosecution anyway, such as for having a miscarriages, wearing a dress and makeup in public, or teaching American history, among other things.
I know it's a genus.

quasihumanist

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 07, 2023, 04:53:37 PM
And I agree that no one should be above the law, but imprisoning Trump, I am afraid, will be dangerously destabilizing as well as incredibly expensive.

The executive can commute someone's prison sentence without pardoning them.  I believe most courts have ruled that the commutation power is constitutionally implied by the pardoning power.

nebo113

Quote from: quasihumanist on April 10, 2023, 01:29:31 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 07, 2023, 04:53:37 PM
And I agree that no one should be above the law, but imprisoning Trump, I am afraid, will be dangerously destabilizing as well as incredibly expensive.

The executive can commute someone's prison sentence without pardoning them.  I believe most courts have ruled that the commutation power is constitutionally implied by the pardoning power.

I don't see him ever being given jail time.  He'll drag things out until he dies of natural causes.  Thanks to whomever above reminded me that the NY case is state, as is the Georgia case.  And quasi, you point reminds me that Nixon was never charged legally; he was pardoned first.

Sun_Worshiper

I'd be shocked if Trump goes to jail for this, even if he is convicted, which is far from certain and seems even unlikely given the difficulty of proving intent. Even if he is charged in Georgia and by the JD, I think jail time is unlikely.

This is one of the several reasons that I've been skeptical that charging him is a good idea, even as I think he did irreparable damage to this country and its democracy.