News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The quiet room thread...

Started by mamselle, October 29, 2020, 12:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juvenal

Is sleeping for twelve hours (I've a white-noise generator) a good sign or a bad sign in these times?  At least I'm well-rested.
Cranky septuagenarian

mamselle

Quote from: Juvenal on January 09, 2022, 11:28:46 AM
Is sleeping for twelve hours (I've a white-noise generator) a good sign or a bad sign in these times?  At least I'm well-rested.

Sounds like it's what you needed. So it's all good.

(Validation offered by extension; that office is actually down the hallway, but to avoid vexing administrative frustrations, the quiet room has a few validation slips for those in need, too...)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

This is for anyone who wants to sleep but is feeling a bit restless...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3HRiYmCO8

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Sounds like the vents are building up, so before they blow...

Just watched this and was transported to a different place and time....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXGfCKNa_9E

There are a couple of other versions, but this early one tugs at my heart-strings...

We also have a fresh, new-hatched batch of baby kittens to play with in the warming room.

And two new kinds of tea in the jars in the kitchen.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

mamselle

Meow!

I just ran across this in an email to a friend from c. 2012, on grading (anticipating even the old Forum's quiet room thread...)

"I have taught as an adjunct....from time to time....they should construct small, warm dens for people to hide in and grade at the end of the semester complete with room service and the occasional foot massage, in my estimation.  And pay them twice as much."

We've got some aspects of that covered; I'll see if we can find someone to do foot massage, if anyone's interested.

M.

mamselle

Re-opening this thread, sounds like there might be some use for it among forumites these days...

A foot-warmer and electric blanket are now in the closet with the pillows, throw rugs and duvets...and the card tables are out, stacked against the wall...for anyone in need of a pillow fort or a spot to drink your tea, coffee, or other beverage/snack of choice.

And the mini-kitchen and fridge are all freshly re-stocked as well....let the concierge know if there's anything missing that you'd like by leaving a note in the basket by their 1/2-door.

Once it gets just a bit warmer, we'll open the glassed-in porch, too...

M.

paultuttle

Just lean back in your recliner and listen to the birds outside . . . .

dr_evil

If the sun is shining, I'm going to channel my inner cat (the only one I'm not allergic to) and nap in the sunbeam...even though I'd like to hide my head under the covers to not re-emerge until (bad thing I shouldn't mention in a relaxation place) goes away. Is the bar open?

mamselle

The bar is always open, there's also a tea-and-juice bar with snacks and a lounge chair with a soft massage setting.

There's a white-noise generator and a closed quiet room, if saying the bad thing out loud to yourself would be freeing--or you don't have to.

Inner kittens always welcome, as well as external ones, of course.

And if a children's story might be of interest, I can recommend this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkn0L7fOJj4

M.

dr_evil

Quote from: mamselle on May 04, 2022, 12:20:09 PM
There's a white-noise generator and a closed quiet room, if saying the bad thing out loud to yourself would be freeing--or you don't have to.

Thanks, but it might be best to let it go for a bit, then move to what I can do to protest it.  But I will take the virtual drinks from the bar. Virtual drinks don't bring out the depressed side of me like real ones might.

mamselle

Got it.

There's also an assortment of real and plush kitties, puppies, and other assorted friendly small animals (sloths are making the rounds these days...) with which to commune if you just need some reassurance...

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=rm&ogbl#inbox/KtbxLvhGLkNXHjlhBMcjpmLJPZKMCtnckg?projector=1

M.

teach_write_research

The grading load is impossible. The child is sick, again. I am opening up the quiet room for a bit. Tea, comfy couch, and mindlessly staring at the wintery drips coming off the eaves.

mamselle

Lovely idea.

Thanks.

I'll have a warm kitten, I think.

M.

arcturus

It is that time of year again...

I need a kitten and a comfy chair in the corner.

Can some one please turn off the stove if I fall asleep before my tea-water starts to boil?