News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What does Fuel Cost in your Neighborhood?

Started by clean, June 18, 2019, 11:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruralguy

If you believe the internet, then winter blend is cheaper. I don't recall when they switch, but it would have happened already, and in fact happened earlier this year to get a jump on distributing cheaper gas (not sure if that really worked in the long run).  There seems to be a strong correlation between gas station posted prices and oil futures, with a delay of a 1 or 2 days.

clean

$2.99 seems to be the popular price now.  So the dip below $3 (IF you got to enjoy it with me) may be at an end! 

I may have to start a new thread "What do Eggs Cost in your neighborhood?"  It was $4.48 a dozen when I went to the store in the last few days!

Everything seems to have jumped in price!  (Everything except my pay, anyway!)

On the positive front (because I am a net saver), CD rates at my local credit union jumped to 4.68 (4.75 APY) for a 2 year CD, and I was able to move some money that had matured a few weeks ago that I delayed on committing to a cd at just 3%. 

So What is gas (and eggs and CD rates if you like) in your neighborhood these days?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

clean

$3.09 over the last day or 2. 
As my gas gauge moves backwards from F to E, the price at the pump seems to be detecting the situation and adjusting appropriately (for the station anyway!) 

hmaria1609

$3.39 when I went to Costco this afternoon. The rest are $3.55 and up.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I saw $3.39 and $3.49 per gallon, for regular, as I drove home from work yesterday. :P

Juvenal

Let's talk about fuel oil.  I try to be modest at keeping the house warm.  Sweaters, heavy comforters, quick showers (the Navy kind) and yet the bill that came in lately was for a tad less than $1K.  I guess "hot under the collar" helps out.  But a "sweater" does not actually lead there...
Cranky septuagenarian

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Juvenal on February 03, 2023, 11:45:15 AM
Let's talk about fuel oil.  I try to be modest at keeping the house warm.  Sweaters, heavy comforters, quick showers (the Navy kind) and yet the bill that came in lately was for a tad less than $1K.  I guess "hot under the collar" helps out.  But a "sweater" does not actually lead there...

Yikes! I know our natural gas bill was about 50% higher than this time last year, due to rising costs (even though I locked in a rate, still much higher, but better than the variable, market-driven rate).

dismalist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on February 03, 2023, 04:53:32 PM
Quote from: Juvenal on February 03, 2023, 11:45:15 AM

Yikes! I know our natural gas bill was about 50% higher than this time last year, due to rising costs (even though I locked in a rate, still much higher, but better than the variable, market-driven rate).

As my father used to say, "Wear a sweater"!

Wool and heating oil [diesel] are substitutes. [For most of us. The relations are properties of us, not of the goods. I don't mix diesel into my breakfast cereal. Some may, though.]

Substitutes of substitutes are substitutes. Substitutes of complements are complements. Complements of complements are complements.

When I started out graduate study I was a TA, holding discussion sessions and doing all  the grading. We're talking very early 1970's. One question on the final exam in Econ 101 was:

The Canadian government is thinking of legalizing marijuana. The beer and wine industries are in favor. The distilled liquor industry is against. Using the concepts of "substitutes" and "complements", explain why this is rational  [i.e. self-interested] behavior.

One student wrote: There is nothing better than to have a bottle of Boone's Farm Apple Wine in one hand and a joint in the other.

Naturally, I awarded full credit.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

clean

I have been reluctant to reply because the prices seem to be yo yo in
Today it looks like $2.72 to $2.77 seem to be the predominant prices

hmaria1609

$3.02 when I went to Costco this afternoon. Other stations are $3.05 and up.

Harlow2

$3.099 here in Metro Philly, down from $3.299 10 days ago.

clean

Topped off my tank today. I was just under 1/2 a tank. However, the price of gas has skyrocketed overnight. I filed up at $2.71 (with 5 cents off for loyalty).  The neighborhood stations were jumping prices to $2.99!  Ten percent overnight?  Better to fill up now! 

FishProf

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

It was $2.91/gal. for regular yesterday. I got 10 cents off per gallon as a 'reward' for spending money at the store.

clean

Gas has dropped again.  Just a few days ago it went from 2.77 to 2.99.  Now it is back down!  $2.67 at Sams, and anywhere from $2.72 to a few still at the $2.99 price.

Spring Break Confusion?

Have prices in your area been so volatile lately?