News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Biden Administration

Started by mythbuster, November 12, 2020, 12:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anselm

Will BBB include some modern version of the WPA with funding for the arts?  They were devastated by Covid lockdowns.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Puget on December 11, 2021, 10:16:56 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 11, 2021, 10:12:16 AM
Quote from: Puget on December 11, 2021, 09:38:25 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 11, 2021, 08:51:02 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 11, 2021, 08:19:22 AM
Oh man this Jessie Smollett thing is really curtains for the Biden Administration. What a scandal!

Wait until you hear about Kamala's corded headphones.

Oh the horror! The VP is aware of possible security risks of Bluetooth. Apparently that makes her "paranoid" but it was perfectly OK for the former guy to talk on a personal iPhone that was almost certainly vulnerable to foreign surveillance.

Not to mention the terrible scandal of her spending her own money on a moderately expensive cooking implement. In a country she was visiting to smooth over relations, where doing some public shopping at a local business selling something the country is proud of would probably be an expected part of that mission. How will the administration ever recover from this horrible event?

Just to be clear, in case it wasn't: I offered that comment with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Not only is it the smallest of potatoes, but Harris is right to be concerned about BT security.

Yes, it was clear, I was responding in kind. ;-)

Phew!

Quote from: Anselm on December 11, 2021, 10:21:14 AM
Will BBB include some modern version of the WPA with funding for the arts?  They were devastated by Covid lockdowns.

Just free coal for shopping mall Santas, I'm afraid.
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

Oh man this Jessie Smollett thing is really curtains for the Biden Administration. What a scandal!

If you hope he runs again in 2024 you are one of only 22%, according to a recent WSJ poll. Getting nominated
would even be difficult.  Harris is not polling well either. I wonder who the democrats will run.

dismalist

QuoteOh man this Jessie Smollett thing is really curtains for the Biden Administration. What a scandal!

The scandal is that the Jessie Smollett thing was obvious from the beginning, but not to everyone.

Here is an early interpretation by Dave Chapelle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXoErL2124. :-)

Note the date, August 2019.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mahagonny on December 11, 2021, 02:36:48 PM

If you hope he runs again in 2024 you are one of only 22%, according to a recent WSJ poll. Getting nominated
would even be difficult.  Harris is not polling well either. I wonder who the democrats will run.

They will run Biden unless he has some sort of catastrophic and visible health problem. I wouldn't be surprised if the internal plan is to have him run and then pass the baton to Harris after a year or two. The Democratic punditocracy is all-in on the idea that because Biden won the last election by seven million votes (even though he came within 22 000 of losing the EC), he's the only one capable of beating Trump. (This might be more true now than it was in 2020, but shrug. There are still three years to go.)

If Biden doesn't run, the Democrats will go all-in on Harris, like they did with Clinton. They do not want a contested nomination. In their minds, Clinton lost because Sanders turned a sure thing into a live contest. (Forget Comey, the eMa1Lz-media, not campaigning in Michigan, the fact that she beat him by three million votes, etc.)

There's lots of time for someone to contest the nomination and to get some wind behind their sails if Biden doesn't run again (which he will). But I doubt it'll happen, not least because the inertia behind Harris is going to be very strong, even if her campaign is as disastrous as the last. Buttigieg might make a half-hearted effort against Harris if Biden isn't running (which he will be), but he won't make it through and TBH I doubt he would expect to; he'll just be positioning himself as her foil to raise his visibility for a real run at some later date. Some people will speculate that AOC might have the organization and visibility to seriously challenge Harris, which I think is true, but I don't think she has any interest in doing so (and, frankly, I don't think it's in her political interests to do so, nor is it particularly in the progressive cause's interests). So, yeah. Unless you can convince Michelle Obama to run--which she won't, because she has no interest in doing so--then we pretty much know exactly what it'll look like.

It'll be Biden vs. Trump. You can count on it. If Trump dies, it'll be Biden vs. DeSantis. If Biden dies, it's Harris vs. Trump (or DeSantis). You heard it here... pretty much last, I think.

Frankly, the only real question seems to be which lickspittle will be Trump's VP candidate. It won't be Pence.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: Anselm on December 11, 2021, 10:21:14 AM

That could have a quite good result, if it were as well-run as some of the projects then were.

I'm currently working from a study done then, that would probably never have been done otherwise. It is fully detailed, reliable, and well-annotated.

I'm aware of at least two other similar projects that met equal quality standards.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

Quote from: dismalist on December 11, 2021, 02:58:46 PM
QuoteOh man this Jessie Smollett thing is really curtains for the Biden Administration. What a scandal!

The scandal is that the Jessie Smollett thing was obvious from the beginning, but not to everyone.

Here is an early interpretation by Dave Chapelle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXoErL2124. :-)

Enjoy the video!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Sun_Worshiper

I've seen this bro. I know Jessie Smollett faked his attack. Still not a scandal for the Biden Administration.

Quote from: mahagonny on December 11, 2021, 02:36:48 PM

Biden will run again if he is healthy and will have a good shot at winning. Look at every first term president in modern history for similar polling at this point in their presidency.

dismalist

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 11, 2021, 04:01:55 PM

I've seen this bro. I know Jessie Smollett faked his attack. Still not a scandal for the Biden Administration.

Biden will run again if he is healthy and will have a good shot at winning. Look at every first term president in modern history for similar polling at this point in their presidency.

Point about Smollett is not anything scandalous. Scandals happen all the time, to all administrations. Point is high ranking administration figures did not see through Smollett's antics when everybody and his or her brother did. That reflects on their judgement in logical, judicial, and political terms. Mere incompetence.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Parasaurolophus

Where errors of judgement are concerned, they have both made vastly bigger ones.
I know it's a genus.

dismalist

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 11, 2021, 05:54:17 PM
Where errors of judgement are concerned, they have both made vastly bigger ones.

But it was so easy to see through this one! Even Dave Chapelle  saw through it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXoErL2124
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: dismalist on December 11, 2021, 06:02:34 PM

But it was so easy to see through this one! Even Dave Chapelle  saw through it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXoErL2124

I'm pretty sure this DC special came out after a bunch of evidence emerged to suggest that he had staged this attack.

Quote from: dismalist on December 11, 2021, 05:38:26 PM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 11, 2021, 04:01:55 PM

Point about Smollett is not anything scandalous. Scandals happen all the time, to all administrations. Point is high ranking administration figures did not see through Smollett's antics when everybody and his or her brother did. That reflects on their judgement in logical, judicial, and political terms. Mere incompetence.

Sure, but I was responding to another poster who made several posts about this in the Biden Administration thread, all suggesting that this was a major scandal for Biden.

dismalist

I'm pretty sure this DC special came out after a bunch of evidence emerged to suggest that he had staged this attack.

End August, 2019? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXoErL2124
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Or...is it no error in judgment (or tactics anyway) if it fires up the base.

Sound familiar?

Google 'Trump fires up the base' =   67,700,000 hits

This is what we're reduced to. Politicians who encourage ignorance in order to advance their careers.

ETA: google 'Biden fires up the base' =  15,100,000 hits

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: dismalist on December 11, 2021, 07:55:22 PM

End August, 2019? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXoErL2124

Check out this article from February 2019:
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02/16/sources-brothers-released-bought-rope-used-in-jussie-smollett-attack/?amp