News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arcturus

Google news tells me it is raining...but I see beautiful clear blue skies out the window. How can the great master-of-all-knowledge be so very wrong?

mamselle

I always make a point, on waking, and before going to bed, to open the front door, look at the sky, and sniff the air.

Night before last, I smelled snow.

Yep.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

The neighbor's yard has lots of dandelions.  That means my battle against dandelions in my yard will never end.

arcturus

Quote from: the_geneticist on January 09, 2022, 07:43:59 AM
The neighbor's yard has lots of dandelions.  That means my battle against dandelions in my yard will never end.
Best to give up now. If you can, it helps to think of it as a beautiful coat of yellow on your underlying green lawn.

paultuttle

Amazon has told my new employer that they delivered a keyboard and mouse combo two days ago (left "on the porch/in the door"). I walked all around the house twice, investigating all five porches--three on our side, two on the "attached mother-in-law suite" side, also rented--and didn't find any package left at any of the porches. Additionally, there was no Amazon-branded delivery vehicle anywhere around my house, nor were there any porch pirates. The upshot: My new employer and I aren't sure what happened to the keyboard/mouse combo.

Today, I'm waiting for a monitor, crossing my fingers that it won't also disappear into the ether/matrix/void.

(Curiously, when we order from Amazon ourselves, we get what we order. Huh.)

mamselle

Lately, I've noticed several articles that show Amazon and other delivery boxes, empty, at the side of a road or in a ditch; the innards were selectively stolen, based on the trucking manifests, from what at least one group surmised.

Before the holidays, a huge gully or two was filled with full boxes, just dumped so the driver could go home.

So it isn't just porch-pirates, sorry to say.

Were the deliveries insured?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

arcturus

I just returned from the grocery store. They no longer ask "Did you find everything you need?" at checkout. Perhaps because the answer would always be "No". This particular store has always had problems keeping everything in stock, but today was particularly bad.

I also noticed an example of inflation by re-doing the packaging on one of my frequently purchased items. The price is the same, but the contents are 90% less than before.

arcturus

Quote from: arcturus on January 14, 2022, 02:49:06 PM
I also noticed an example of inflation by re-doing the packaging on one of my frequently purchased items. The price is the same, but the contents are 90% less than before.
Oops! I meant "...90% of before."

mamselle

Quote from: paultuttle on January 13, 2022, 12:23:15 PM
Amazon has told my new employer that they delivered a keyboard and mouse combo two days ago (left "on the porch/in the door"). I walked all around the house twice, investigating all five porches--three on our side, two on the "attached mother-in-law suite" side, also rented--and didn't find any package left at any of the porches. Additionally, there was no Amazon-branded delivery vehicle anywhere around my house, nor were there any porch pirates. The upshot: My new employer and I aren't sure what happened to the keyboard/mouse combo.

Today, I'm waiting for a monitor, crossing my fingers that it won't also disappear into the ether/matrix/void.

(Curiously, when we order from Amazon ourselves, we get what we order. Huh.)

Also, "new employer??"

What's that about, if you care to say?

M.

ciao_yall

Found the perfect dress to wear to an interview. IT'S SOLD OUT! So maybe I can order it in a smaller size and lose 10 pounds in 10 days to fit into it?

mamselle

In person or on Zoom?

You could just open the back seam and insert a gusset if the latter...fabric orders are arriving very quickly these days, I find...(don't ask...)

;--}

M.

P.S. Actually, you could do the same and wear a jacket over it and just not remove the jacket if you can ease the gusset into a waistline and then into the hipline so the line still flowed correctly...or do side panel insets...

Or not...

ergative

I had to attend an in-person bureaucratic government thing yesterday. The office was full of security theater--masks required (except the guy at the front never covered his nose); use hand sanitizer after touching anything (except the lady who instructed me to use hand sanitizer was entirely unmasked and simply had plexiglass screens in front of her desk); stand in the yellow squares on the floor when not interacting with people at the desk (except the person at the desk invited me to take my mask off and get comfortable once I sat down).

Anyway. Now my hands reek of the baby-powderish scent that was put in the hand sanitizer and no matter how often I wash them the stink won't come off.

pgher

A piece of lettuce got stuck up inside the active part of my salad spinner. It really looks like the spinner comes apart there so we could clean it, but I can't get it. So now I have to dry lettuce the old way until I get a new spinner.

Diogenes

Was going to duck out of grading and admin stuff to ski this morning, but we only got 2 inches of fresh snow so I don't think it's really worth it anymore.

Wahoo Redux

Three different nurses had to stick me three different times before finding a good vein in my hand for my medical blood-draw this morning.  It really hurt.

Then the lid almost came off the urine sample as I handed it to the other nurse---that was a close call!

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.